Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Anyone really dislikes to exercise as much as I do? >
  • Anyone really dislikes to exercise as much as I do?

• Anyone really dislikes to exercise as much as I do?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:40 PM

I only ride my bike when it is not hot outside and I don't exercise at all. 10 months out of the yr it is too hot to be outside. :-)
    Old 08-09-2011, 05:42 PM
    Power Poster

I do tea kwon do. Within the last 2 1/2 years I have progressed to black belt. Everytime it is time to go I do not feel like it but afterwards I feel good. I know if I do not go I will not do anything. I also feel for me it is good for my emotional health. I originally started this becaus emy kids were in it. When I came to drop off the kids all the other parents were doing it with their kids and there was no place for the parent to wait. this is how I got suckered into it. Best thing ever! I go with 9 of my children ages 5 to 21. All but 3 of the children are black belts. Oh I am 47 and fat but watch out I carry a nasty kick. It has a lot of appeal to me because the focus is on self defense, something what I think is a great skill for my children and I to know. I agree try accountability and maybe going with a partner. Also find something that is fun to you instead of doing repetative stuff.
    Old 08-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Wow- quite a few inspirational stories! Thanks everyone, and what a great topic!!! My DH and I have been walking every morning for years. I hope we get to keep it up, depends on our schedules. I am starting a weight program on Thursday, find I start losing when I do both aerobics and weights. BTW, I am 62 and DH is 64 and still surfs.
    Old 08-09-2011, 06:25 PM

I "eat clean" 95% of the time, I weight lift 5x per week and I feel great. I work out with a trainer 1x per week or per 2 weeks (depending on what I can afford). Working out with a GREAT trainer is very motivating. They really force you to use good form which makes you see results. 30 minutes per day is not too much of a sacrifice for me.

Since I changed the way I eat and started to weight lift with a trainer, I don't get headaches, my body feels "right." I don't get sick very often at all. I sleep well and have tons of energy. I have alot more self confidence.

FYI, I am nearing 40, have 2 kids and work full-time. What I do is feasible for most people.

I work out at the same time every day. If there will be a conflict, I work out in the morning. It is like brushing your teeth. Not exciting but necessary.
    Old 08-09-2011, 06:34 PM

My husband and I make exercise a priority and we do it together. When we get home from work, we immediately change and head for the basement where we have over time built up a selection of free weights, a stationary bike and a treadmill. We turn the music up and use the free weights then head outside for a 4 mile walk. If it's raining, one of us hops on the stationary bike and one on the treadmill.

I'm also a belly dance instructor and teach 3 classes two evenings a week. It's a heck of a lot of fun and great for toning and getting in touch with your muscles through an art form.

Always always keep moving...SHIMMY ON! (I'll be 59 in Oct.)
    Old 08-09-2011, 06:53 PM

I'm alright with exercise. The "boring" stuff lets me do the "exciting" stuff without wearing me out. Example: walking every day lets me walk in the camping parks pretty much all day.

I also have a Wii; the games make it fun to exercise. :)
    Old 08-09-2011, 06:57 PM

Bravo to you, BellaBoo, for doing it even though you hate it!

Just remember, you can still get fit and stay trim with other kinds of movement activities besides gym exercises. I'd much rather be hiking or doing something strenuous outdoors, for example. Then there's all kinds of dancing, too.
    Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 PM

Yup, hate exercising, but it must love me, because it is good to me - This love/hate relationship.
    Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 PM

I am not a fan...mostly because I hate sweating. I get red rashes and bumps anywhere there is clothing contact when I get sweaty. I am so not looking forwards to menopause.
    Old 08-09-2011, 09:36 PM

I have to admit I don't mind exercising, as long as I get into the habit of doing it. I'd much rather excercise than diet! After doing it every day for about a month, I get in a groove and feel great, and if I am not able to go I get cranky.