Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Anyone from the Redding/Chico, Ca area?? >
  • Anyone from the Redding/Chico, Ca area??

• Anyone from the Redding/Chico, Ca area??

Old 08-25-2011, 06:43 PM

Husband and I debating where to retire. Any pros and cons for the Redding or Chico area?? We want to retire in California due to kids and grandkid. Thanks for any tips and hints.
    Old 08-25-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by gaby4v
    Husband and I debating where to retire. Any pros and cons for the Redding or Chico area?? We want to retire in California due to kids and grandkid. Thanks for any tips and hints.
    I lived in Redding for a year and a half. It was okay but I really didn't care for the heat. It gets really hot there. It is a pretty place. IF I were to buy a house I would buy one in Redding. I just didnt like the heat. :)
    Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 PM

Gaby Chico is a college party town...lots of youngsters there...you might want to look a little farther north..maybe up toward the foothills like Colfax, Grass Valley, Placerville or Lake Tahoe area....a gal told me once that Tahoe was poverty with a great view *L* Reno or the Carson City area are nice too..Just a lot busier area. I have been in Redding at 3 am and it was 115* so it is really hot there. Over towards the coast is a good area too. Eureka might be a good choice. Good luck on your retirement. crafty_linda_b
    Old 08-25-2011, 07:39 PM

I would strongly suggest visiting whatever area turns you on, more than once. Every season change would do it, might make you want to go somewhere else.
    Old 08-25-2011, 08:02 PM

You really should check out the Napa Valley. The weather is great. Lots of wineries to visit, great restaurants, fantastic quilt guild that always has great teachers and classes. Even a fabulous retreat for quilters. Nice quilt shop. Close enough to visit San Francisco. Lots to do. Pacific International Quilt Show is here. I could go on and on.
    Old 08-25-2011, 08:25 PM

I live in extremely Northern California and I love it - I like to live rural - and this is the place - Oregon is really close - so I can drive up and shop (no sales tax in Oregon) and get anything I need. Its not congested with traffic or people. The closet big town is Yreka - that is located about 100 miles north of Redding. It gets hot here but not like Redding.
    Old 08-25-2011, 09:48 PM

I live between Chico and Redding. Chico is a college town with lots of students during the school year. A lot of them clear out for the summer. Like the comments before, it gets very hot here in the summer, but the rest of the year it is beautiful. North of Redding is really nice. Just a little snow in the winter..nothing terrible. This area is great for water sports, hiking, skiiing. And the big city (SF) is only 3 hours away.
    Old 08-25-2011, 09:59 PM

I have lived in the Redding area since 1976, except for the two years we lived in the motorhome. It was like coming home when we moved back....love the weather most of the time....it does get hot, but, no humidity like the midwest, etc. Most of the year, the weather is nice. People are friendly, and there is awesome scenery all around.
    Old 08-25-2011, 10:02 PM

Thank you all for your input. We still have 14 months to go here in Japan and then have to make a decision. I guess time will tell.
    Old 08-26-2011, 07:04 AM

I grew up in the Napa Valley and currently live in the Sacramento area. Redding is nice but is the Devil's armpit in the Summer. No offense, but the heat is just unreal. Napa is nice, but super expensive. I absolutely love Durham(near Chico) and the small towns near it like Gridley etc. If I were choosing between Redding and the Chico area, I'd pick the Chico area in a heart beat! Lots of rivers and scenery in Butte County. I don't think I'd pick Chico, but one of the nearby, small towns. Hope this helps!