Anyone tried Melatonin ?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tutty
I'm ready to give this a go. I Never get a full nights sleep . Last night ,rather , morning I finally fell asleep 4:30 ish am !!!! Curious to know if anyone has tried melatonin and if they were able to sleep better and or any side effects I should be aware of !! Thank you, you are always sooooo helpful.
My son takes it all of the time and it works! make sure you buy the good kind, we get the Puritan Pride and it is 1/3 of the price of the drugstore brands and works a lot better. His Neurologist prescribed it to him and told us a 10mg capsule is all he needs for a restful sleep. Oh and if you order from Puritan Pride online they have deals like buy 3 bottles get 4 free for like $15 or something like that. I buy it in the gross for him.

Billy
Old 08-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

I've been taking 5mg every night for several years. I sleep great and get at least 9 hours straight. What I like about Melatonin is that it is not a drug so I can wake up to any unusual sound or have to get up early and be alert with no yucky side effects. My Dr. said start at 3 mg and go to 5mg if needed.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:07 PM

I take one every night right as I am going to bed. 3 mg. Read for about 10 minutes than ready to sleep. You have to stick with it for about a month. Melatonin occurs naturally in the brain, so when you don't have enough this helps, but it has to build up in your system. Some people experience some unusual dreams in the beginning.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:10 PM

I use the 5 mg and make sure I take it early enough so that it wears off before I have to get up or I drag the next day.When I really have a problem dropping off, I also take a benedryl generic. The benedryl also keeps me breathing clearer too. (allergies)
Old 08-24-2011, 05:24 PM

It works for me and no side effects.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 PM

I took myself off Ambien because I was lightheaded and had headaches. I did have wierd dreams with the Ambien but they were not nightmares. Switched to melatonin. Had really bad nightmares. Now am going to use Benedryl.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Banned

I used to take Ambian but I started to get addicted to it, I was taking 2 and 3 a night to go to sleep. I remember my wife coming in the bedroom asking me to run to the store for ice cream and I went and as I was coming home it hit me. Luckily I was only 2 blocks from the house but I was seeing double! :shock:

The next day she found out what happened and was so ashamed at herself for asking me to go to the store but I told her that was okay I didnt kill anyone or myself for that matter. But after I retired early all the sudden I didnt have an insomnia problem...........

Billy
Old 08-24-2011, 06:05 PM

Well I think I will check out the honey and apple vinegar. I have tried many things and nothing works very long for me.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:07 PM

I've had trouble sleeping for about 8 years. I take a prescription sleep aid. I cut them in half. But 1/2 or even a whole one I only sleep 4-5 hours at a time. I can trace it back to the time I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I also take Ultram 4 times a day for it. Sometimes I can't even move or the pain is so bad I can't sleep. You don't mention how old you are. There may be other reasons why you aren't sleeping. Menopause can also affect your sleeping patterns. It's best to let your Dr know whats going on. Over the counter drugs can affect other drugs that you may be taking. *(Adverse reactions) I was married to a male nurse for 13 years and just graduated in the Health Info Tech field last year. Be very careful.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:12 PM

Sometimes I can't turn my brain off, and I get stressed thinking about events of the day or something that is bothering me. When hubby is out of town I leave the tv on, but when he's home it bothers him. A couple of years ago I got an iPod and it has saved me! It doesn't bother my husband, and I play solitaire or some other game that keeps my mind turned off. Now I'm usually asleep in 5 or 10 minutes!