Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop! >
  • August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

• August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

Old 08-04-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by nancia
    melissa--i know exactly what you mean! my husband has recently recovered from cancer and needs to eat alot all the time. i'm using xylie's system and having frozen dinners and a salad. it's worked 11 lbs so far! that's 2 months' worth.(actually, i didn't lose anything in july).
    blessings for you and your dm! you are a good daughter to take care of her!my mom will be 91 in october and fortunately my sister is willing and able to deal with her. but then she's a saint!(my sister, not my mother).
    11 pounds,good for you.Need to add 2 pounds to your loss.It's encouraging to see a drop on the scales,Keeps me motivated.
    Old 08-04-2011, 02:28 PM

well this board has made me ashamed of myself I am reading all these posts of women struggling with their health and doing everything in their power to get better and here I am healthy but lazy sitting on my butt getting fatter by the minute. I am ashamed of myself that I allowed myself to get this big when women like you who are having heart attacks are exercising everyday and I am finding an excuse everyday not to I have been thoroughly chastened and embarassed and I vow to GET UP OFF MT BUTT! thank you ladies and take care of yourselves you have all become very important to me in a very short time :)
    Old 08-04-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by melissa Dove
    Hi everyone,glad to hear some are really pleased with their efforts,
    I thought I would have lost a bit but no change on the scales, I suppose its best to only weigh every week and not get dispirited.
    For me hard part is feeding high calorie food to my underweight mum (who is 91 bless her) she only weighs 110 lbs and needs persuading to eat anything at allso mainly eats sweet foods . It beats me how we could be related at all really!!
    Don't beat yourself up cause you haven't lost as much as you'd thought.I haven't lost any this month,and only 3pounds last month.Even if I do 2 to 3 pounds a month,that's good and it will stay off.I know we'd like to get 20 pounds off in a short time,but the faster we lose it,the more it WILL come back,plus you'll add 5 to 10 pounds more,so it will boomerang on you.So,take it nice and slow.It isn't a race,but a way of life.Missy put up a chart last month from her therapist or dr,or both and it had 7 things why we don't lose weight.And how to lose weight.One was eat breakfast,eat 5 sm meals a day to get the metabolism going.We have to eat to lose weight.If you starve,your body will go into starvation mode and will shut the metabolic system down and hang on to the fat.The idea is to burn the fat by exercise and calories.We also need lots of water to flush the fat out.And get rid of all junk foods that are empty calories.Their high in sodium and will retain water.Figure your calorie intake a day out by X by 10 the goal weight.And stay in that area.I want to be 140,so mine is 140 X 10 = 1400 calories a day for me to get there.No matter how long it takes.I been at it now 4 yrs.I messed up and see-sawed too along the way,but always got back on and kept going and never gave up.Even tho I'm at a stand still now,that's ok.It will get to moving again.If your going to do the TV dinners and a green salad,then you'll have both,portion control,and calorie control.Because they are nutritious now and about 350 calories each.You will see the scales begin to drop is you stay on it.Myself,I stay on it because it's a no brainer for me and is easy to follow and tastes good and get a variety to pick from.I never go hungry.Try to get as much water in as you can.I do 1 qt at 9am,one at 1pm.And the last at 5pm to be drank in a 30 minute session.I drink water besides throughout the day.But those 3 are what flushes the fat out.Now if you want to kick-start the losing,you could get some spirutein from the health food store,no off brands,they don't work,I know so don't waste your $$.Only get the brand name "Spirutein" and get some non dairy creamer from Walmart and make a milk up out of it with a little hot water to melt it,then add cold water to make 1 gal.I use 1 to 2 cups.Enough so it tastes good.Then mix the spirutein up in a blender and add some ice.Let it set till it thickens.And have 1 or 2 a day to replace meals.Myself,I go on it for 3 weeks straight and eat nothing else during that time except my multivatamins.The 1st week is tough.The 2nd week is better.By the 3rd week you have detoxified your body and will lose probably 15 to 25 pounds give or take.This will kick start your losing.Then go to the meals if that's what your doing.Or what ever your plan is,this is not for every body.And I know that.But it is the only thing that has worked for me.Like I haven't needed any for over 3 yrs now.But I am at a stand still now,so may have to go on it.Of which I probably am starting tomorrow.Or maybe even today as I have the stuff on hand.Anyway,we have to stick w/it and not get discouraged.And keep going.Even at 2 pounds a month is still a victory in my books.Maybe your mom could use some of that weight gain whey stuff they give to athletes to put weight on her.You need to do it healthy no matter which way you go on both the losing and for mum to gain.Make sure she can take it and ask her dr. if it's ok 1st tho.These are just some thoughts.You might like it better to have your own supervised plan.Me,I can't afford it.I'm poor and struggling and can't do jenny craig etc.But that is where I got the idea from on the TV dinners.And 93 pounds later,I can say it's both healthy and works.So,hang in there and don't get discouraged,the scales WILL start going down.Just pick a plan and get going and stay on it.Tell yourself after 20 pounds you can have a nice dinner or a day off from the plan.But get back on the next dat till the next 20 pounds is off.That's what I do and it helps me keep going cause I see a nice steak dinner waiting for me when it get the next 20 pounds off.It might take me 4 months,or 1 month.Depends on how bad I want it.Right now I want it bad,so better get to going.I can't have it till I get to 150.MMMM,I can taste it now!Good luck!Oh,I forgot,the scales do go up and down during the week.I was up 10 pounds last month,then in 2 days it came off.Puzzled me for a bit because I couldn't figur it out.But was water from probably the sports drinks I done.I weigh2 X a week 1st thing after I get up and pee.
    Old 08-04-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by seahorsesanna
    well this board has made me ashamed of myself I am reading all these posts of women struggling with their health and doing everything in their power to get better and here I am healthy but lazy sitting on my butt getting fatter by the minute. I am ashamed of myself that I allowed myself to get this big when women like you who are having heart attacks are exercising everyday and I am finding an excuse everyday not to I have been thoroughly chastened and embarassed and I vow to GET UP OFF MT BUTT! thank you ladies and take care of yourselves you have all become very important to me in a very short time :)
    Good for you.You can do it.We'll get some tips up and going as we go along.When Missy gets back,she will be a big help as she just had surgery for it/and has a lot of good tips from her dr's and therapists that will really help everybody.Good luck.
    Old 08-04-2011, 03:25 PM
    elm

I know it's supposed to be better to weigh yourself about once a week, but that doesn't work for me. I need the incentive of seeing nothing happen or a slight gain to keep me on track.

Originally Posted by melissa Dove
    Hi everyone,glad to hear some are really pleased with their efforts,
    I thought I would have lost a bit but no change on the scales, I suppose its best to only weigh every week and not get dispirited.
    For me hard part is feeding high calorie food to my underweight mum (who is 91 bless her) she only weighs 110 lbs and needs persuading to eat anything at allso mainly eats sweet foods . It beats me how we could be related at all really!!
    Old 08-04-2011, 03:30 PM

I know what you mean, Elm. I was only going to weigh myself once a week but this first week hasn't been that easy so I had to weigh myself today to stay motivated.

Nancy
    Old 08-04-2011, 04:42 PM

I weigh myself every day before I get in the bathtub. It's such a habit that I feel off if I don't.

Seahorseanna, don't beat yourself up. Just be glad that you've decided to do something about your weight. Walking is probably the easiest exercise. Do you live where you can walk safely? Start with a short distance and remember it's as far back to the house as it is away. Ask me how I know that. Do you know there are people who walk the interior perimeter of Meijer's early in the morning? My friend says 4 rounds equal a mile. Not me - I'm not a morning person or an indoor walker.

I worked in my flowers and now my arms are all inflammed again. I waited until late to avoid the sun, but apparently not late enough. I guess I'll stay away from flowers and sun tomorrow until after the wedding.
    Old 08-04-2011, 05:13 PM

Holey Moley, Charity-crafter, I went to that website and saw how my body could look at 150 pounds and 130 pounds. At 150 I could have a jaw line and smaller belly. At 130 I could have a waist! I do remember having a waist umpteen years ago. I saved the three images and printed them for inspiration. Thank you so much.
    Old 08-04-2011, 05:49 PM

Where's MJ? It's been over 24 hours since we heard from her. Those of us so inclined need to pray for her now.
    Old 08-04-2011, 08:33 PM

Elm~ I'm the same. I HAVE to weigh in multiple times a week to stay motivated. I only count one weigh in a week as my official weigh in day! That day is Friday this month. If I don't weigh in multiple times a week then I find a gain a lot more weight! I use my wii to weigh in as it's the most accurate scale in the house. It also reminds you if you weigh in at a different time that you can fluctuate 2-10 pounds in a given day! The important thing to remember is to track it and make sure there is an overall downward trend!

Lifted today and am thinking about doing my yoga video before bed tonight. I might do the line dance video we'll see which one wins out. If not tonight I'll be doing one or the other tomorrow morning!