Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop! >
  • August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

• August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:05 AM

Way to go cottontop on your 6 lb lose. I weighed in this morning. 1/2 lb lose. better than nothing. It had to be the zumba yesterday. I still hurt all over, moving real slow today. Hope everyone has a good week. I'm taking it 1 day at a time.
    Old 08-08-2011, 10:05 AM

elm, undoing a bobbin jam is not rocket science. If she can't do that, then giving her the machine is a waste of a machine that could go to someone who needs it. I rescued it, but I don't want it. 'Brielle took it apart and cleaned it and got it back together without any leftover screws the last time she was here. You should see her FMQ. It's great. Now to find out if she can sew a straight seam. I need to find a printed pattern for a simple quilt. I'm thinking something like a rail fence. Do I need a printed pattern? No, but she needs to learn to follow one without an adult standing over her. I think she can do the taco pillowcase first. The ten year old male reading student I tutor did a good job. What has sewing to do with reading? It doesn't do any good to learn to decipher words if you can't follow the directions given by the words.

It will be an interesting week. My children were independent and easy to work with. This one isn't, but I'd be remiss if I didn't use this week to help her grow as a person. Sewing is only a tool I am using.

BTW, my son considers this his daughter and is wonderful with her, but he works on the road. He moves from Ohio to New Jersey this week.

All this talk about exercise reminds I have been remiss because of health issues. It's 2:09. I'll turn the TV at 2:30 and do a half hour just for y'all.
    Old 08-08-2011, 10:07 AM

Six pounds is a wonderful loss. Keep up the good work.

I copied this for my fb status from a quilter here, maybe even on this site!

Journal topic for today:

"When I'm dead and gone there ain't anybody goin' to think o' the floors I've swept, and the tables I've scrubbed, and the old clothes I've patched, and the stockin's I've darned…But when one of my grandchildren sleeps on one of those quilts, they'll think about me, and, wherever I am then, I'll know I ain't forgotten." from 'Aunt Jane of Kentucky' by Eliza Calvert Hall

Motivation: Each day I work my plan I am planning for my future, one of health and longevity.

Keep on working at it. It ain't worth nothin' if you don't have to pay for it.
    Old 08-08-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    Ireland, I know the feeling. I have to remind Lily and Moira that walk means continuous forward motion. They are on Flexileads and I don't care how much they investigate as long as they do it in a fashion that doesn't impede my forward motion. Do you wear your pedometer like a watch? That'd be nice. My midsection has a SI back brace and a fanny pack for bags and keys. That's enough.

If I get another pedometer, I want to buy it locally so I can return it easily if I can't make it register. Because of all the metal in my feet, I don't walk heavily and so far no pedometer has registered - or maybe 6 steps in an hour.

Walkers, try alternating speeding up for a very short distance, then returning to your regular speed for a longer distance. Burn more calories without speed walking the whole distance.
    I do wear it just like a watch, actual it tells time too! ;) If I bought a regular Pedometer I would never remember to put it on, and I cannot afford one of those thingys that the Big Loser Show uses.

My two usually go forward unless an antelope is nearby then they want to go chase it, or a rabbit, or a bird or anything that might move! LOL Oh well at least my arms get a work out!
    Old 08-08-2011, 10:25 AM

Good Morning All. I haven't checked the board since Friday. Wow, a lot to catch up on. Went to a Pop Warner team party Saturday. It was really easy to eat right because the coach won't let the players have sugar or a lot of carbs. There were sub sandwiches (no mayo) and lots and lots of vegetbles with watermelon for dessert. So easy to stay on plan that way. Wish every party I went to only had good choices and not temptations. LOL

Karen
    Old 08-08-2011, 10:50 AM

wow I just saw an awesome critter on my butterfly bush that I have never seen before so I had to come inside and look it up! I thought it was a moth and my husband thought it was a hummingbird and it turns out we were both right its a hummingbird moth! I found a picture on google of it it is so neat it flaps its wings as fast as a hummer but is fuzzy like a moth ~ learn something new everyday
    I was in the dollar store last night and bought a workoutvideo set called surpreme 90 day it is 10 different dvds that work a diff body part each day and is suppose to really kick your butt but i need to do something to catch up to the big 6 pound winner or else she will be getting my fat quarter! :mrgreen:
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-238482.jpe   attachment-238483.jpe   attachment-238484.jpe  
    Old 08-08-2011, 11:09 AM

Go for it, seehorsesanna. There's nothing like a little friendly competition to get us moving. My 'competion' won, she thinks. She looks a skeletal to most of us. I have a lot of mutual friends ask me if she is ill. No danger of that here.

Interesting insect. Did you know hummers like tomatoes? I won't be planting a tomato plant near the hummingbird feeder next year.
    Old 08-08-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
    Way to go cottontop on your 6 lb lose. I weighed in this morning. 1/2 lb lose. better than nothing. It had to be the zumba yesterday. I still hurt all over, moving real slow today. Hope everyone has a good week. I'm taking it 1 day at a time.
    A half pound loss is better than a half pound gain.
    Any time we use muscle we have not used there is going to be some pain. Keep up with exercise whether its Zumba or another type of exercise. For me......good ole fashion walking is my exercise...
    Great work on the half pound loss
    Old 08-08-2011, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by nancia
    i tried belly dancing in my early 20's. you should have some belly fat and love handles to do it right. it is a lot more work than you can imagine! but it is also fun. i was not co-ordinated enough to do the zils and the dance at the same time. but i did the flutter the best in the whole class (smile).it's a way of breathing that makes the top of your breasts jiggle. trust me, if it's jiggle you want, i'm your girl! lmbo (i wish!)
    I think it's great.It is a low impact work out,or the ones I saw were.They looked cool and something I might be able to do.
    Old 08-08-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
    Six pounds is a wonderful loss. Keep up the good work.

I copied this for my fb status from a quilter here, maybe even on this site!

Journal topic for today:

"When I'm dead and gone there ain't anybody goin' to think o' the floors I've swept, and the tables I've scrubbed, and the old clothes I've patched, and the stockin's I've darned…But when one of my grandchildren sleeps on one of those quilts, they'll think about me, and, wherever I am then, I'll know I ain't forgotten." from 'Aunt Jane of Kentucky' by Eliza Calvert Hall

Motivation: Each day I work my plan I am planning for my future, one of health and longevity.

Keep on working at it. It ain't worth nothin' if you don't have to pay for it.
    Thanks and I love that journal topic for today...maybe my GK are thinking ahead. When they come down, that is the first thing they look for....what new quilts grandma made.