Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop! >
  • August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

• August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

Old 08-20-2011, 07:57 PM

I got off to a rough start this month but then went on the vegan McDougall eating plan. I've lost 2.5 pounds in the eleven days I've been on it. And, technically, I now have a waistline! It's gone down 2 inches and, for the first time, is smaller than my hips. Yahoo for me! Now if I can get myself to exercise. The last time I went out walking, my bum knee made me come back after only a few blocks. Since then, mostly all I've done is lift some of those "pretty pink weights".
    Old 08-20-2011, 08:28 PM

I like my pretty pink weights - actually mine are red, but the exercise program I try to follow only uses them once a week or so. The McDougall diet looks reasonable. I'm glad it's working for you.

When I was on my fitness pal, I went to the blogs and ran into a buzzsaw. A guy posted a bunch if inaccurate info and wouldn't give the science to back it up, then another jumped in and argued with everyone who questioned him. Wow. Do they have trolls there, too?

I was under on food according to MFP, but I don't think so.
    Old 08-21-2011, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
    i am back to square one..i am finding it very hard to hit the goal of calories per day. not used to eating 3 meals a day. i know that is how to loose weight, i just need to be more diligent i think.
    Hi I watched all of Steve Turano's video's on u-tube.He says,and I know it's true,That it really doesn't matter what we eat or when we eat.As long as there is a deficit at the end of the day of less calories eaten,or more calories burned by exercise.We can eat 1 meal a day.eat at midnight.Eat 8 meals a day,eat proteins,carbs,etc,as long as there is a deficit at the end of the day.So if you don't want 3 meals,that's ok.Do what makes you feel comfortable.It isn't going to matter for most of us who are not diabetics etc to do that.I'm a 1 meal a day person myself.We need a healthy diet,I think we all do that pretty much.I always take good multi vitamins.And if we're not gaining,we're not over eating.If we're not losing,we're not cutting enough calories out,or need to exercise more.If we're gaining,we're eating too much and over eating.Steve also say's that we gain weight slow,and over a period of time.He is right.We don't just gain 2 pounds over night that isn't water.That would be eating 7000 calories on top of your 1500 a day or what ever your eating.We can't eat that much food most of us.Unless we're eating pure chocolate or crispy creams,and I don't think any of us here are doing that or we wouldn't need to be on a weight loss thread.We'd be on the I want to gain weight and be as fat as I can thread.So it's probably just water weight.Mj and I both have put on 10 pounds over a couple days.Then a week later,mine came off in 2 days,so it happens.I'd bet it's either water weight,or from the extra calories from the extra meals your not use to eating.So,if it's the later,I'd cut them out and go back to what you were doing before that worked with less meals.Sometimes we just get too caught up in numbers,how many meals,and what time to eat them.And how many carbs,proteins,etc.Enjoy your meals and eat when you feel like it.Enjoy life more and fret less ,then you'll be back on track and losing again,only this time you'll not toss a monkey wrench in it and keep going on down the scales.I know you can do it because you been doing it already,So,just go back to what worked................
    Old 08-21-2011, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Joyce99
    I got off to a rough start this month but then went on the vegan McDougall eating plan. I've lost 2.5 pounds in the eleven days I've been on it. And, technically, I now have a waistline! It's gone down 2 inches and, for the first time, is smaller than my hips. Yahoo for me! Now if I can get myself to exercise. The last time I went out walking, my bum knee made me come back after only a few blocks. Since then, mostly all I've done is lift some of those "pretty pink weights".
    Good for you.I'm thinking about going raw too.I hope to lose the rest of my weight doing it.Good for you.Keep going!
    Old 08-21-2011, 03:51 AM

I'm not going raw but I have increased my fruits & veggies.After grocery shopping my DH said he doesn't remember ever seeing the fruit bowl that full. Don't worry I'm not eating so much that it drops my blood sugar.

Went to Mayo Clinic site and looked up hypoglycemia. They had very interested stuff there. I printed out the info to show my DH and I also think I need to see a different doctor for a second opinion. My doc said I lost enough weight since being diagnosed with diabetis that I'm cured but now have hypoglycemia.Mayo Clinic docs say that hypoglycemis is common with diabetis but not common for those who are not diabetic. They gave causes like tumor on pancreas, abnormal cells from the pancreas or a reaction to gastro bypass surgery. I had my stomach stapled in the earley 80's so it doesn't seem like it would be that after all this time. Also can't find any info that says diabetis can be cured by just loosing weight. It is all very puzzeling. I'd much rather be diabetic than hypoglycemic - I don't like the symptoms of hypoglycemis one little bit!

Well it's time to give the dog his insulin so I better go do that.

Hope everyone has a good day. God Bless!
    Old 08-21-2011, 03:51 AM

Good morning everyone.

Yesterday was an OK day for me. Stayed in my calories but I did not exercise. I try to get up and walk early in the morning before it gets too hot but didn't happen yesterday. I think the heat is getting to me. I would so love to see some 80 degree weather in the afternoon. Wow! wouldn't that feel good.

Tomorrow is my weigh in day. I looked at the scales this morning and was tempted to step on them but I have told myself for this month you weigh only once a week. So far I am pleased with what the scales has been saying on Mon morning and I might jinks it all if I step on too soon

Ya'll have a wonderful, blessed day
    Old 08-21-2011, 06:39 AM

I have decided not to get on the scale until the day we have to turn in our weight loss if I am doing bad I dont want to get depressed and get unmotivated but I think I am doing really well my pants feel looser and my thighs arent as stuck together! this new workout dvd set i got at the dollar store is killing me it is 10 dvds and you get a calendar with it and you have to do what disk it says for each day to help keep your body guessing well it is working I thought I was gonna die that first week and my fat was screaming at me to stop but I did the best i could and now it is getting just a tid easier each time I am glad i stuck it out and cant wait to see what the scale says at the end of the month ~ I love fall fabrics! :)
    Old 08-21-2011, 08:02 AM
    elm

Sounds like you may need to do portion control with your protein if you are worried about it. How do you know you are eating too much protein?
    Anyhow, for poultry or meat one suggestion I heard was that the piece should be about palm size. Fill up the rest of your plate with vegetables.
    Old 08-21-2011, 08:42 AM

Xylie, what works for Steve Murano may not work for all of us. We are all different. I know I need to eat my simple carbs before noon and eat adequate protein if I want to lose weight. His regular clientele may be a male population and weight loss for them is totally different breed of cat. The only video I tried to watch of his started with him pulling up his shirt to show his '6 pack'. Yes, he had muscles, but they sure looked like there was a layer of fat on them. If one meal a day works for you, then fine. I like two meals with snacks, but some need three, especially if either high or low blood sugar is involved.

Jeanne, my oldest daughter, my ex-husband and my son are all hypoglycemic. They just need to eat regular meals and my son needs snacks. Cheese and crackers or his current favorite, an apple and cheese. He needs protein at every meal. The other two don't. I was diabetic, but haven't been in 30 years. Two other daughters tend to have high blood sugar, especially when they were in their teens - one passed out regularly and one was quite ill, but they are fine now. The passer outer's cure was protein. Luckily she has type A blood and craves meat. Another case of finding out what works for you. One daughter is perfect - never has been high or low. You need to find what works for you. Do you have a copy of the ADA's diabetic diet. Minus any mention of sugar free items, it's a very reasonable diet.

Seahorseanna, it sounds like you are doing well. You have improved your health whether the scales down a huge amount or not. Way to go for the inches off and the commitment to your videos.

Cottontop, we have the weather you want. 70s and 80s with cooler nights. It's lovely, as I am not a water baby. Love to see water, but not be in it except for my bathtub.

My weight was down this morning, but not back to where it was before the 8 pounds of fluid from the insect bites. Very close, but there is still some visible swelling in my legs and my ring wouldn't go on this morning. I feel fine and my legs are not swelling worse and becoming discolored in the evening, so it is all good.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
    Judy
    Old 08-21-2011, 08:55 AM

Hi elm
    I have been using the food diary at Myfitnesspal. It is really helpful in keeping track and controlling portions. The recommendation for me is 45 grams of protein/day. I was just surprised at how much more I was taking in. At 12-14 grams each(depending on the flavour), the greek yogurt is a large amount of the daily goal so now I am being a little more careful in my choices. As was suggested here by a couple of people, I'm going to look into the plain and add my own fruit and see if that makes a difference. :? It all comes back to exercising some control over my over-eating habits whether it is chocolate, junk food or greek yogurt!!! lol.

The food diary at mfp has been great at helping with portion control. I am losing weight at a slow steady pace which I hope will be easier to keep off. When the cooler weather comes in September, getting out to walk should help too.

Anyway, sorry to drone on about this - I appreciate the comments and suggestions everyone offers!

Originally Posted by elm
    Sounds like you may need to do portion control with your protein if you are worried about it. How do you know you are eating too much protein?
    Anyhow, for poultry or meat one suggestion I heard was that the piece should be about palm size. Fill up the rest of your plate with vegetables.