Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop! >
  • August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

• August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

Old 08-22-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    Ah, nancia, this is not the week to lose weight, just maintain. I'm glad you got the chance to snuggle Olivia. Have you visited any fabric stores?

Quilting question - I bought a hand painted batik in a rosy rust for the border for the Carpenter Star. It doesn't match well enough to use. It is so gorgeous, I want to go back and get the green and make another CS. Problem? It won't match any of my rooms and isn't what I want for any of the quilts I have coming up. The fabric is very pretty a smooth, slightly mottled batik with widely spaced flowers and leaves in pearl paint. Help.

Back to the quilt. The braided border is going to be cool. I wanted to use the painted batik. This daughter is very blonde and a girly girl. It would have been a nice touch for her quilt.
    Can you make a small banded border to bring the color into the Carpenter Star quilt?

If I could see maybe I could explain better, but add more borders...
    Old 08-22-2011, 02:22 PM

Hallo all from Enland, I'm just about ready for bed, but it would seem odd now, not to check in to the QB for just a short time. Today satisfying in many ways, I cycled to my local gym as I finally got some more into my bike tyres. I did feel pretty tired after the 2 mile cycle home, but not so much I couldn't make a new cover for my mum's what bag from some sample squares . Really pleased with the resullt. I had no idea til I read it on QB that you could use things like rice instead of wheat- delighted as I don't know any farmers ,but I can go and buy rice or lentils and make my own now! Ate out with my ex and all the kids so little chance of weight loss today but the exercise should ofset it I hope. Hope everyone else has a good day too.
    Old 08-22-2011, 02:23 PM

Jeanne, do you have an endocrinologist in your area? The neuro may help with the headaches and a stress test never hurts, but for the blood sugar, an endo is the route to go. I had to go that route with one of my daughters and the one I transport my ex-husband to for follow up on thyroid cancer is excellent. Have you tried a protein snack before you leave to go walking? I am on my way out and just had some almonds and cheese (so did the furgirls).

I am still looking at the pretty fabric - I haven't taken it off the wall yet. Another possibilty is to buy enough more to make a jacket. I haven't been doing any apparel sewing, but I can. Gee, a jacket that matches my hair. Not that I need any clothes, but I could get rid of a few things to make room. Too bad shipping is so high. I have size 16 'school clothes' I don't need since the doctor ended my working days.

Melissa, tell your mom to be careful not to overheat it. Scorched rice smells terrible. I've never had that problem with buckwheat hulls.

Edit: MJ, anything but a wide border would lose the painted flowers and I have the braid one over half done, although I'm not looking forward to trimming it. The quilt's batiks are rust and a bright, light orange. The soft rust just can't hold it's own with the stronger colors. I do need to find a use. It's too pretty to store.

The colors in the batiks are not that red or bright. My camera likes red.

MJ, here you go
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]245391[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-245385.jpe  
    Old 08-22-2011, 04:53 PM

Hello everyone! Today has been great. Got together with some friends and went to Marshalls in Batesville to look at all the pretty fabric. The place they chose for lunch worked well within my eating choices so I was able to stay under my total calories for the day. On the way home a very strong thunderstorm caught up with us so it was an adventure. We've got a tree down in the front yard. Luckily it was one that was far enough away from the house that it didn't cause any damage. More storms coming in this evening. We really need the rain so I can't complain!

Cottontop and I must be using the same eating/exercise plans (MFP ??). When I weighed this morning I had lost another 4 pounds which brought my total for the month to 13. Only 9 more days to go.....I'll need to step it up in order to stay in the running for the fat quarters!

Nancia, your Olivia is absolutely beautiful. I bet you're holding that baby so much she'll really miss you when you have to go back home! It's great to spend time with family.

Everyone have a great rest of the day. I'll check in again in a couple of days.
    Old 08-22-2011, 05:52 PM

Well, I haven't been on since Friday and it has taken me awhile to catch up on all the posts. Congratulations to the losers.

Today I took my youngest to register for Jr. High. A bitter sweet moment. Then afterwards we went school shoes shopping (he got 3 pairs- p.e., dress shoes and regular school shoes). My dd is home for two more weeks before she heads back to Idaho. She came with us and I couldn't help buying her some new clothes for college. I hate buying clothes for me because of my size, but I really enjoy buying for my kids. We walked around the mall a couple of times so I guess I got my exercise in.

I just jumped on my scale and lo and behold I have lost another pound--that makes a total of 3 for this month. Yahoo!

Nancis--your grandbaby is precious.

I have a friend that is trying the juice diet thing, but is only doing 2 meals a day and a tuna salad for dinner. He says he feels great, but the first week is a killer. I wanted to try, but hubby says no way. Oh well, I will just keep plodding along the way I have been. 3 lbs isn't too shabby for me for this month.

Love, thoughts and prayers go out to all of you.

Karen
    Old 08-22-2011, 05:55 PM

We just found out that our next door neighbor’s pug dog died two weeks ago. Bob (the dog) was so awesome. He loved me and I loved him. Is there something that I can get for her to help her with her grief? I do want to do something. Her son who is my age has a condition that makes his brain like swiss cheese. He is aging so quickly and will die in the near future as well. So much sadness for our neighbor. Any advice would be soo helpful.

Missy
    Old 08-22-2011, 06:41 PM

Hello, Karen. Three pounds in 22 days is a nice amount to lose. School shopping is such fun, but I never bought too much at once when my children were in the growing stages. Did you get your daughter's car straightened out? How far is her school from home?

Hi, Missy. It's nice to hear from you. Give your neighbor your condolences. It's meaningful when people let you know the dog is missed. As for what to get, it's hard to say without knowing her house. My daughter bought me a Mia Hosta when I lost my Mia (Siberian/wolf). I bought an angel wind chime for Mia and for Sasha. I have a garden stone that says Life is Better With a Dog", but that may not be appropriate without a dog. A garden stepping stone with the dog's name and some pretty stones.

I have to laugh at my fitness pal. I am eating more calories in snacks than in any meal. If I go over, I will have to drop the granola bar. I won't drop my chocolate or my almonds.
    Old 08-22-2011, 06:43 PM

No, her car is still an issue. We have a friend who is working on it--I pray he knows what he is doing--He said it would take one day but it has been5 days now and he still has it torn apart.

My daughter is a Senior at BYU Idaho. We live in Southern California so it is too far for her to walk. LOL

Karen
    Old 08-22-2011, 06:55 PM

I knew it was out of state, but that's a long drive. I've driven around that area when my son was stationed in Arizona and my grandmother lived with my aunt east of Sacramento. My brother was north of Sacramento.
    Old 08-22-2011, 07:34 PM

Wow, cottontop and Miss Rita!! You two are both doing so well :thumbup: It's really encouraging to hear all the progress being made by this group.

We had a houseful of people all weekend. It was also my husband's birthday and I managed to eat not one but two pieces of black forest cake over the weekend. oooh it was so good and it's a good thing there's none left or I'd be eating it now! The struggle never ends but I'm still trying! By the end of October I hope to be fairly close to my goal although it will probably take longer than that. Of course, then maintaining the loss will take effort too.

Today was an absolutely gorgeous day and I didn't get out for a walk. I think I've convinced myself that I'll start that in September. :?

Keep up the good work, everyone!!! :-)