Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop! >
  • August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

• August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

Old 08-25-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    Scentsy sounds wonderful to me right now. Last Friday my son was here for lunch and the candle is living room flared up quite high while we eating in the dining room. We thought it was just the match I'd dropped accidentally in burning the last of the wax. Not! Neither of us moved, we knew it would burn out and it was in a glass holder. When I went to put in a new candle, I discovered the table had a real hole burned in it. It was my pretty pieced oak game table that was burning. Thank goodness it went out on its own, but now I have a burned spot on my table.

MJ, my furgirls are rescues, too. The beautiful Lily was found in a dumpster behind McDonald's in below zero January weather when she a year old. She was adopted from that shelter and I found her again in our shelter a year and half later. Little Moira was found in a cemetary weighing 13.2 pounds. She now weighs 34.4 and is still lean. She was not a pup, just starving. The shelter gave her to me as they thought she wouldn't last the day.

I'm doing good eating this week and remembering to do my TV exercises, but the weight hasn't moved. G-r-r. Nothing I can do except keep it up.
    Oh my god,you may be able to fix the table,google burnt table or burn't oak.Depending on how deep it went.But could,sand,fill,then color.and wax, or shellac etc.and it could disapear.I've worked wonders over the yrs with all sorts of concocktions.Put it on the board here,there are a lot of smart people who re-do sewing machine cabnits all the time.I bet it can be fixed.And your animals sounds like what I would do.I'm a sucker for a stray,and they need a home and just make great pets.We save each-other by having them. Good for you!
    Old 08-25-2011, 06:22 PM

I wish we could talk about something other than cake. That is my weakness. I think I was drowling while I was reading. I'm just kidding around. I know we have to face our weakness and replace them with healthy choices.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!
    Old 08-25-2011, 06:47 PM

Not a fan of cake, except carrot cake, but brownies and cookies are among my favorites. Luckily, celiac disease limits my consumption.

How many East coasters do we have - charity, I know, but others? My son who was working in Huntsville, AL when the tornadoes hit is now working in New Jersey. He also had to ride out flooding in Ohio last year. He told his company he's not working for them any more. AH, not very likely.

Going down below 40 tonight. I think Northern Michigan goes from Summer to Winter.

Xylie, I Googled repairs on a burn - most of them recommended completely refinishing the tabletop. I will work on it some more and then just keep a candle there. I'd like to make a pretty tabletopper if these kids ever stop having birthdays. I like the Dahlia one for a round table.

Do you feel My Fitness Pal's calorie counts are accurate? I keep coming in low on calories when I've had enough to eat. I forgot my exercise program today, so that willl help, though I did walk the dogs further this evening.

Xylie, you will be surprised how much exercise will help with the pain. Too bad it's only temporary. When I start out on our walks, I think this will have to be a short one because of the pain in my feet and ankles. After about two blocks, I realize that the pain has subsided - not disappeared, but better. I am a believer in move it or lose it. I would be permanently in that wheelchair in the other end of the house if I sat too long.

MJ, I like your rhyme about walking. Do you take the dogs on your walks? I though you only had smaller dogs, but I see you have some the size of mine.

Jeanne, do you have fibromyalgia? I read something in my email yesterday that made me think of you.

I finally mailed July's quarter today, plus some fabric I sold to someone looking for wildlife prints. My first sale on here.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
    Old 08-25-2011, 07:07 PM

I haven't had a chance to get online today. Had lots of running around today with mom. She needed to get out of the house, going stir crazy.

I have the challenge now of not only making food for me but also my parents now that mom can't do much with a broken arm. Last night was spagetti with meat sauce, I only at a proper portion for me, along with a salad. Tonight they wanted a veggie and meat and cheese tray for in front of the tv while watching the foot ball game.

I am still fighting a migraine and stress levels were up today with mom's fustaration and taking it out on me. I reminded her that the next few months are going to be stressful on both of us and she needs to not take it out on me.

I think I may talk with my doc about something for depression on my next visit. I need to get out of this funk.

No cake for me, mine downfall is chips and cookies and cheesecake (especially if one of the guys at work makes his homemade cheesecake.)

I am in control and will lose this weight.

Happy Birthday Karen.

Cindy
    Old 08-26-2011, 02:44 AM

Good morning to all.

Hope everyone's day went well. Yesterday I did what most of us love to do....quilt all day. Yep...most of the time all I have time to quilt is an hour or so at a time. But yesterday, from about 10 in the morning to about 4. Finsihed one quilt, worked on a couple of wall hangings, sorted through my stash and got another quilt planned. But I have a few Christmans tablerunners to do and another wall hanging before I can start that.

Stayed withing my calories and did exercise yesterday.

Ya'll have a wonderful, blessed day.
    Old 08-26-2011, 02:59 AM

Irishrose, thanks for thinking of me. I really don't know if I have fibromyalsia (sp). My old doc told me I had it and gave me exercises to do but since he left the clinic and I've been going to my current doc there's been no mention of it. I think when the clinic computerized that they didn't transfer all your past med hx into the new system but that's just my opinion.

Well Spock goes in for his glucose curve today and we make the decision of continuing battleing his illnesses ot put his to sleep. It seems that since the vet raised his dose of insulin a week ago he's gotten worse. This whole thing is harder for DH than for me as Spock has always been his dog. Pray for us in this difficult time.

Well I'm going to go and try a few laps in the pool.

Have a good day everyone. God Bless!
    Old 08-26-2011, 03:28 AM

I have done well with my eating and exercise this week. But I go to the mountains to visit with inlaws this weekend. My MIL cooks good country food. Lots of salt and much of it fried. It will be a challenge to maintain my weight loss while I am there. I just need to remember portion control.
    Old 08-26-2011, 04:20 AM

What an eventful week we are having here on the east coast, first an earthquake and now a hurricane. Haven't had this much excitement in a long time. Not since snowmeggedon.

They sent us all home from work afterwards so they could inspect all the buildings prior to reopening. Having an earthquake day is so much more fun then a snowday from work. Snow days we have to shovel snow at home, earthquake day you just go home.

My weight is staying steady. I know what I'm not doing. It's so hard to stay motivated. And it's so easy to slip into "this won't matter" mentality. I can skip exercise today, I can have this bagel with cream cheese that someone brought in to the group, one piece of birthday thing (I won't say the "c" word for bjeriann) won't hurt.... But it does in the long run. It's the consistant little bits here and there that cause the weight to stall or weight gain.
    Old 08-26-2011, 07:15 AM

My happy time this week is that I am now able to weigh on a home scale. This is HUGE because I have only been able to weigh at the hospital on their scale that goes to 1,000 pounds. I weighed this morning and I weigh 381.2!! It has been at least 15 years since I have been at this weight. I am going to begin exercising more this week to see if I can get myself down into the 370s. The idea of that happening makes me have goosebumps! What a huge thing for me!!

Missy
    Old 08-26-2011, 07:38 AM

Missy, What an accomplishment! You must be so excited. I am excited for you.

It's a beautiful cool day here. Hurricane savvy people - wouldn't my son be better off before Sunday to go inland and get away from the water. He's working in NJ, but living in a motel near the river in Wilmington, Delaware. He thinks he'll be okay in the motel, but what about the big black truck in the parking lot if there is a big wave of water. He worked on rebuilding New Orleans, so he should know the damage the water can do. I will talk to him again tonight.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.