Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop! >
  • August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

• August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

Old 08-26-2011, 05:58 PM

Judy,,
    They said the storm had been downgraded. Keep fighting your urges to overeat. Think about how much better you will feel later. Have some nuts if you have to eat something. Be good to yourself. Paint your nails or read a good book. Have you read 'The Help'. It is an awesome book.
    I know you can do this.
    Old 08-26-2011, 06:06 PM
    elm

Hang in there. You can do it. Just remember that you were his very first teacher. He wouldn't be who he is without you. So, take care of yourself so you can be around for a very long time to love and worry about him.
    Originally Posted by irishrose
    I need to get my eating under control. I am not worried about my son in NJ/DE, but I can't stay out of the candy. He knows what he is doing and has decided to ride it out in his motel room in Wilmington on the Delaware River. I talked to him tonight - he had been to the store, the ATM (took four to find one with money) and parked the truck in the safest place he could find. My overeating won't help him. My fasting my candy will because it will remind me to pray for him.

It's raining so I'm not going out walking. I may have to go anyway just for stress relief. I won't melt - if I would, I'd take my clothes off until I melted to the size I desire.

There's a community wide yard sale here tomorrow. I wish I could carry things down the stairs (4 steps). There is too much in my house. I may put a sign out listing my Christmas tree, a Southwest bench and one of my vintage sewing machines, then I don't have to carry them unless someone is interested because they won't be yard sale prices. I wanted to have fabric sorted by now - it might sell. I have my school clothes to do, too, but clothes don't sell.

Daniel will be fine. He is intelligent and well trained. He is a former Eagle Scout, a US Marine, a police officer for 8 years, a Water Safety Instructor, etc. I reminded him that he has been trained to help people, but not to do it the peril of his own life. He has a high strung wife and stepdaughter, plus a daughter in Abq. They need him.

Send me some positive energy so I can stop overeating. Thank you for listening. Judy
    Old 08-26-2011, 06:10 PM
    mim

I am so impressed with the energy and determination of all of you ladies !!! I feel like a wimp -- I have only a little to get back in shape. But I do remember the dark days of my teens when I only ate a little bit of lettuce and salads and still seeemed to gain. My folks didn't believe in doctors.
    Food was something to be avoided -- and detested.

As soon as I got my first job I saw a doc and got my thyroid attended to.

Many, many years later -- I don't have that problem any more -- I just like good food. and I am a gourmet cook. So now I have to do something to get back into my clothes -- and my DH also.

My congratulations and praise to all of you who work so hard. And are suceeding so well !!!! You inspire me to keep on -- Mim

Mim
    Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. DD was able to return the cake. I hate for her to spend all that money on a store bought cake when a cake mix will do for me. So that what she did. Then my son's girlfriend made me a cake also. I had to have a little piece of both. Now the rest of the family can go to town on the left overs. Like I say, cake isn't my favorite so it is easy for me to resist.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of those in the storms way. My goodness, the weather this year is sooo crazy.
    I am so glad we live in Southern California where the weather hasn't been bad at all this year.
    Old 08-26-2011, 10:41 PM

Ok,here's some trivia.Every pound of fat in your body carries how many miles of blood vessles?Answer: For every pound of fat,we have 1 extra mile.Which means every time your heart beats,it has to push blood through totaly worthless vessles. If your 50 pounds over weight,your pushing blood for 50 extra miles.So,don't think that 20 extra pounds is no big deal.It is.It's a huge deal.Good luck,lets get er done and get it off once and for all......This should get some of us to thinking.
    Old 08-27-2011, 07:15 AM
    mim

I am amazed -- Now I really have more incentive -- No wonder extra pounds make me tired. I vust thought it was like carrying extra 10 pound bags of sugar. This is a lot worse.

Thank you for the info -- Mim
    Originally Posted by Xylie55
    Ok,here's some trivia.Every pound of fat in your body carries how many miles of blood vessles?Answer: For every pound of fat,we have 1 extra mile.Which means every time your heart beats,it has to push blood through totaly worthless vessles. If your 50 pounds over weight,your pushing blood for 50 extra miles.So,don't think that 20 extra pounds is no big deal.It is.It's a huge deal.Good luck,lets get er done and get it off once and for all......This should get some of us to thinking.
    Old 08-27-2011, 07:47 AM

mim, if you need a visual to help you, imagine lard or butter instead of sugar. I look at how bulky butter is in the dairy case at the store and know I have that much stored on my body. Yeesh!

My weight was down a smidgeon this morning, but not back to pre bite. Update - the skin on legs from the knees down peeled like a snake. The underlying skin is hard as is the tissue under it, but the color is good, so I'm thinking it will be okay. It's been four weeks now.

I have to bake cookies for coffee hour tomorrow, but that's not a problem for me unless I decide to be nice and do some gluten free ones.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
    Old 08-27-2011, 10:29 AM

Hello everyone. Thought I would check in and catch up on all the posts. I only lost one pound this week but I've stayed on track with eating and exercise so know that it is just a temporary slowdown and not a step back.

I've been watching the Weather Channel most of the day. A close friend went to Virginia Beach a few days ago and I'm hoping she's ok. Before she left she said, "I love hurricanes!" That's makes me worry about her safety even more. Luckily I'm not eating my way through the stress so that's one thing I've accomplished on this weight loss journey.

Happy one year anniversary MJ! Your efforts to set up and maintain this link are appreciated more than you could ever know. I've only just started participating in these monthly challenges and hope to continue for many months to come. Everyone here is so encouraging and helpful to those of us who need it from time to time. I'm not a real "talkative" participant at this point but hope to change that as time goes by. Talking about my weight and facing the fact that it's entirely my own fault that I'm overweight is hard for me to do.

My DH is really supportive and that is helping a lot. He even made sure that the hotel we booked for an upcoming trip has a fitness center so I can work out each day. I have made it a personal challenge not to gain weight while we're away from home. I hope to be able to report back to you that I met that challenge.

Have a great rest of the weekend everyone.
    Old 08-27-2011, 10:56 AM

I did not mean to imply that I started the Weight Loss Adventure thread a year ago, I started my individual weight loss adventure then. I was on another thread here on the board that folded, then moved to this thread. Trupeach was the originator of this thread, she moved to another board.

I have "hosted" this thread for the last 4 months, but really it is a group effort. If you just depended on me for the thread, it would be truly boring.

Thank you for the encouragement. For all of us, it is a daily struggle or we wouldn't be here.

Nancia, I heard that baby crying all the way to Mississippi! Now you take her back! her parents miss her!
    Old 08-27-2011, 10:56 AM
    mim

Many years ago when I was skinny, I had carpal tunnel surgery -- in those days it was a hospital stay -- The surgeon came to see me before surgery and looked at my flat tummy and asked if he could take out my appendix?? He said he was so tired of having to cut thru layers of yellow chicken fat to get to someones appendix that I would be a pleasure. I never forgot the way he described having to do the abdominal surgeries. Gross -- and then I got that way too. I guess I'm human LOL