Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop! >
  • August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

• August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

Old 08-28-2011, 09:46 AM

Has everyone survived the storms. I can't imagine what it is like. We think it is horrible if it rains 2 days in a row here. My prayers and thoughts are with you all.

Have a good Sabbath everyone.

Karen
    Old 08-28-2011, 10:02 AM

I just talked to my son. The storm hit at 4:00 a.m., but all is well except for downed trees and no traffic lights in some areas.

I think I need to do a few days of Adkins to jumpstart a weight loss. This is ridiculous. Usually if I watch what I eat, the pounds disappear. These things are welded to my body. I haven't checked the thrift stores for a juicer. I think I have one in one of my daughter's outbuildings, but I don't have the heart to ask. Her husband used it to make wines, then he died a terrible death and I'm afraid the juicer will bring up too much. If it was in the house, it's gone - her house burned to the ground four months after her husband died - the house he bought when was 18 and the only house they ever lived in. Such sadness.

I am losing weight and getting healthier. Right now only the second part of that is true, but I am a believer that it all can be, so I refuse to stop saying it.
    Old 08-28-2011, 11:32 AM
    mim

the storm which wasn't -- here in Maine was weaker than a lot of "no name" storms. It downgraded to tropical storm and we have had gusts of no more than 50 Mph. The tides are high and on the low shore the waves are very high.

We left the car out so it would get a good wash but there were not many downpours. We have a gravel drive so we welcome heave showers. because the car gets dusty.

Both DH and I gained a pound this week -- pork roast with mashed poratoes and gravy are my weakness. We did a lot of heavy outside work bot I guess it didn't burn up enough calories -- sigh !!

Better eating next week. The tomatoes are ripening so lots of fresh vegies.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers for all of us in the line of Irene

Mim
    Old 08-28-2011, 11:53 AM

hello! we finally have power! it was out less than 24hrs but with it went everything we own- tv, radio, phone, internet, reading,music, and conversation. we all went to bed. woke up in the gray of early morning.we didn't open the fridge to preserve the cold so b'fast was a handful of pretzels for those so inclined. here's where a past of anorexia comes in handy! i will eat soon. other priorities were a shower and weigh-in. i gained 2 lbs on good ole texas food! not surprizing! i was really careful to eat smaller amounts but the calorie level was still a lot higher than i'm used to now. i enjoyed the heat until the last day. it is cool here at the moment, and very wet. we came thru with a minimal amount of damage--a leak around the chimney all the way through to the second floor. can't tell yet if it has spread out. could be so much worse, we feel very grateful! still staying home to let everything dry out and stay out of others' way. cats and dogs are all well! kitten (dog) loves splashing in the puddles in the backyard, then coming in with her big hairy cocker feet and splashing on the hardwood floors! monkey goes out if forced , but turns around and comes back in, hardly even damp. kitten is the happier dog, such joy in living. almost hard to remember when she was a wreck from the puppy mill, and afraid of everyone and everything. i'm so proud of her growth! and if an abused dog can change and prosper, so can abused people. no reason to not try! i may be op now, but in a few days i will be down! watch me now!
    ps- olivia is happily growing and flourishing in her parents' arms. she only came home in my heart! such a delight! can't wait for the next one!
    Old 08-28-2011, 01:53 PM

I managed my weekend at my inlaws with hopefully minimal damage. I ate a tiny slice of carrot cake. I had no biscuits. I think I did well. I will find out in the morning when I weigh in.
    Old 08-29-2011, 02:32 AM

Good morning to everyone. Hope everyones weekend went well. For those that were in the path of the huricane, my prayers are with you.

Ya'll have a wonderful, blessed day.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:22 AM

afraid to even attempt the scale went camping for the last four days and even though I played in the lake I ate many more smores then I should have! oh well maybe I will win next month :)
    Old 08-29-2011, 01:21 PM

It has been very quiet today on the here.

Pray all have made it through the earthquake and hurricane last week.

Took mom in for another follow up on her broken arm, cast had to be replaced due to decreased swelling in her arm.

I am losing and in control.

Have a blessed day.
    Old 08-29-2011, 01:56 PM

I am busy today knitting a baby hat. My daughter asked for 2 hats for her friend's baby. Baby came 4 weeks early. I'm afraid the one I already had made will be too big. The one I made today is tiny. I still am going to try to make a cocoon. I have 24 hours which, of course, I will be sleeping part of. These are for newborn pictures.
    Yesterday/last night our electricity was off for 12 hours. That did not help with my knitting!
    Old 08-29-2011, 08:30 PM

biscuits!?!(slap my head) that and the cake balls must be what did me in. i'm having trouble getting back in the groove so i may just try a holding pattern from now till sept 1. create 4 paws, put me on the list, please. no time like the present! would you believe it's 63* here. yummy!