Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • AVATAR: something to be concerned about.?............ >
  • AVATAR: something to be concerned about.?............

• AVATAR: something to be concerned about.?............

Old 03-07-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by mrspete
    Now, I kind of feel guilty of changing my picture. Sorry I can't get a grip on that "A" word. But I love my pooch, should I put my picture of myself back up? It keeps mice away, that's about all the good it is.
    Very cute puppy! Keep this one!
    Old 03-07-2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Originally Posted by k3n
    PS - Admin's avatar is actually a photo I took and posted a while back as part of a family trip we took to a monkey park. Of course he asked before he used it and I felt deeply flattered and of course said 'yes'! :mrgreen:
    :shock: You are the photographer of the big guy!? How super cool.
    That is really cool! And sooooo timely that Admin's avatar came up...when talk of board member's meeting at public affairs is discussed...like quilt shows...well, I'd been wondering how we would know one another...we don't all remember everyone's boardname...but we all know Admin's avatar...all that to say this.... I've started thinkin' of us as The Great Gorilla's Group....lol. If we all had a little pic pin of his avatar we could wear it when we wanted to be approached by other members.....yes, no, maybe?
    Old 03-07-2010, 01:48 PM

that's so cool bobbin. we can make quilted pins with his pic.
    Old 03-07-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Barbm
    that's so cool bobbin. we can make quilted pins with his pic.
    Well, I'm not sure I was thinking about making them...lol...but that could be done! There are sooooooo many of us and there will be many more if the past is indicative of the future....perhaps Admin could take charge of getting these made...something on the order of a tietack pin...and then make them available only to members...sales could help with Board expenses. I just think the Gorilla would be a nearly perfect identifier!
    Old 03-07-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
    I found this awesome quilty board in Nov of 09. I lurked awhile and decided to join with the rest of all the smart guys and gals, thinking I could swap war stories and make new friends, and maybe even learn to quilt better, or help someone else to quilt better. It looked like a fun group of people, having a good time. I also noticed just about everyone had an avatar, with really cute, pretty, fun, loving, pictures in them. So I looked thru all my pictures and found one that kinda spoke to me and with a couple clicks of the mouse, there it was, a little Smiley Face, smiling and sewing her fingers to the bone.
    Then in January someone else started using my symbol! I talked to Admin and was told to talk to her to see if she could find something she would like better. So I did, but she didn't want to change. I don't know how y'all would feel, but it kinda ticked me off. I had been using that avatar for a couple of months and I felt like it got hi-jacked.
    Well, being a peace-lover, I told her she could have it, that I would find a new one, which I did in 5 minutes or less, and I now have it proudly showing my avatar.
    Maybe I should have done something different, or not done anything and there would be two of us with the same avatar. As of this writing, she is still using it.

What would you have done and how would you have felt?
    this is funny. Its just a picture, right? not like you had a copyrighted images or something, A smiley after all is public domain as is your elephant picture. I used your avatar btw just to prove a point about public domain.
    Old 03-07-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by mrspete
    Now, I kind of feel guilty of changing my picture. Sorry I can't get a grip on that "A" word. But I love my pooch, should I put my picture of myself back up? It keeps mice away, that's about all the good it is.
    I've forgotten what your other avatar looked like, and I love the poochy-face!
    Old 03-07-2010, 04:19 PM

this is funny. Its just a picture, right? not like you had a copyrighted images or something, A smiley after all is public domain as is your elephant picture. I used your avatar btw just to prove a point about public domain.[/quote]

Yes its just a picture and no I don't have a copyright on it, and yes I understand that it is public domain, just like the elephants are, and your mermaid is. But would you want me to use your picture for myself? You took some time, no doubt, to find just the right picture to represent you and who you are. If I used it, how would you feel?
    Old 03-07-2010, 04:49 PM

I can be a cranky kind of person, so with a grain of salt I agree. I would not want the same avatar and the same dress at the same function happened to me. the other the husband of the other woman said in our group that I looked better than she did. THAT is what made it real embarassing. even though it may have been true.

but this is not a dress with a stupid husband, and i would've asked her to change her pic. If someone asked me too and I had it second, i would change it.
    Old 03-07-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by threader
    Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
    I found this awesome quilty board in Nov of 09. I lurked awhile and decided to join with the rest of all the smart guys and gals, thinking I could swap war stories and make new friends, and maybe even learn to quilt better, or help someone else to quilt better. It looked like a fun group of people, having a good time. I also noticed just about everyone had an avatar, with really cute, pretty, fun, loving, pictures in them. So I looked thru all my pictures and found one that kinda spoke to me and with a couple clicks of the mouse, there it was, a little Smiley Face, smiling and sewing her fingers to the bone.
    Then in January someone else started using my symbol! I talked to Admin and was told to talk to her to see if she could find something she would like better. So I did, but she didn't want to change. I don't know how y'all would feel, but it kinda ticked me off. I had been using that avatar for a couple of months and I felt like it got hi-jacked.
    Well, being a peace-lover, I told her she could have it, that I would find a new one, which I did in 5 minutes or less, and I now have it proudly showing my avatar.
    Maybe I should have done something different, or not done anything and there would be two of us with the same avatar. As of this writing, she is still using it.

What would you have done and how would you have felt?
    this is funny. Its just a picture, right? not like you had a copyrighted images or something, A smiley after all is public domain as is your elephant picture. I used your avatar btw just to prove a point about public domain.
    I woudnt Care, enjoy yourself use it. :) Its just a picture. Its nothing I made. I am not petty. Its JUST a picture, Its not life, Its just a picture, just a picture....
    Old 03-07-2010, 07:28 PM

I would be so mad. That's just as bad as someone buying the same dress for the same prom - on purpose! I don't know what you could have done differently though (unless you know how to hack someone's computer -LOL).