Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • average meal price per serving >
  • average meal price per serving

• average meal price per serving

Old 10-24-2011, 04:41 PM

I'm trying to budget and wanted to know what y'all aim for as far as pricing goes. Granted, some meals will cost more and others less, but for your weekly meal budget, what price per serving do you consider good?

Thanks!
    Old 10-24-2011, 04:47 PM

After thinking on this for a few minutes I think 3 to 4 dollars depending on what we have sometimes less sometimes more.
    Old 10-24-2011, 04:48 PM
    Power Poster

i try not to spend more than $2/meal. i remember in college that my DH and i didn't spend more than $20 at the grocery store for the week, and that included his cigs. wow, those were the days
    Old 10-24-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
    After thinking on this for a few minutes I think 3 to 4 dollars depending on what we have sometimes less sometimes more.
    So you spend $3 to $4 per person per meal (on average over the course of several days worth of meals)?

Thanks!
    Old 10-24-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
    Originally Posted by Up North
    So you spend $3 to $4 per person per meal (on average over the course of several days worth of meals)?

Thanks!
    Sometimes there are leftovers which gives us an almost free meal add veggies or salad and we are good to go.
    Old 10-24-2011, 04:57 PM

My DH and I usually get a roasted Chicken (done) for $4.99 and then we have left overs for soup, or stir fry or pot pie! Can't beat that price!
    Old 10-24-2011, 05:08 PM
    Banned

There are 3 of us...though I only eat for 1/2 a person(or less)..but I try to keep our meals for the week under $75.00 total! We eat everything fresh, no boxed or frozen meals so that helps alot! This also includes all three meals each day! My DH and son both take their lunches!
    Old 10-24-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    There are 3 of us...though I only eat for 1/2 a person(or less)..but I try to keep our meals for the week under $75.00 total! We eat everything fresh, no boxed or frozen meals so that helps alot! This also includes all three meals each day! My DH and son both take their lunches!
    So for just me, that would be about $25 to $30 a week, based your shopping and menus? Or a little over a $1 per meal? That actually is what my budget is going to look like, but I wasn't sure that it would be doable. I recently started Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and am wanting to pay my student loans off with gazelle intensity and am reevaluating how and where I spend my money. Thanks!

If you don't mind, I may PM for tips on shopping and menu planning.
    Old 10-24-2011, 06:08 PM

Look for little other ways to save money b/c it all adds up. I don't use the bag on my lawn mower. No need to buy garbage bags for grass clippings. I cut my hair 2x per year and keep it straight, long, and one length. I wear glasses instead of contacts.

Go to the grocery store with a set list and don't buy anything but what is on the list. Do NOT buy junkfood just because it is cheap. It will add weight to you, not fill you up (hence you will buy more) and you will be less healthy. Spend enough to eat healthy.

Eggs and chicken tend to be a cheaper form of protein and are versatile...
    Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 PM

One thing to take into consideration, is the stuff you buy at the grocery store ,that is not food. Soaps, deoderant, garbage bags, toilet paper, plastic wrap, etc. That kind of stuff can really add up.
    If I take out the non-food items , I can reasonably budget( with out feeling I have gone without) for about $30.00 per week. That all 7 days , 3x per day... and of course the inbetweens and the occasional bone for my fuzzy one.