Baby Shower

Old 02-14-2011, 10:59 PM

Must be that time of the year - I went to a baby shower on Saturday - it had been years since I'd been to one. There were supposed to be games, but everyone was having such a good time socializing, it all just fell by the wayside. There were around 40 guests.

The spread was deli sandwiches and there was a cake, and drinks in a cooler. There were also little giveaway bags but nothing spectacular in them, they were just really cute. All gifts received got these cute little lottery tickets attached to them and there was a drawing after the shower for the winner. I don't know what the lottery gift was, I had to leave early for a dinner date.

The mother-in-law put on the shower, maybe that's way it wasn't an extravaganza of biblical proportions.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 AM

when my kids were young the entire street was boys so everyone had to invite the entire set. Then the parents started upping the ante with each party I finally said no and gave my sons the choice would they want some presents that are really nice or do they want a party and they chose the couple of good gifts and after a year or two the parties just started fizzling out
Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 AM

when my kids were young the entire street was boys so everyone had to invite the entire set. Then the parents started upping the ante with each party I finally said no and gave my sons the choice would they want some presents that are really nice or do they want a party and they chose the couple of good gifts and after a year or two the parties just started fizzling out
Old 02-15-2011, 07:03 AM

Ugh I know what you mean about some of these silly baby showers and parties. We kept it simple for my son, honestly we'd rather people spend money on gifts! And men were allowed, DH was offended that he might not be invited ;) We took a lot of slack from one of our friends for not throwing a big soiree for my son's 1st birthday. This from a girl who spent $300 on just a rental place for her 2 yr old's birthday. My son was happy with a piece of cake and having the whole family around :)
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 AM

I know what you mean about expensive partys and im under 30 so ther are still a few of us that arent to extravant the last shower i through was a baby shower for my sister in law and we spent about 75 on it and it would have been alot less but mom dident whant to make the cake so she bought that but it was like 40 for the cake. my sisters bridal showers comming up but i dont know whos hosting it it will likly be alot fancyer her wedding is shapping up to be way more expensive than mine was oh well.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 AM

[quote=np3.Have to comment here. My granddaughter had one for her 6th birthday last year. The cost for two ponies with rides for 90 minutes, all the farm animals, set up and clean up was $100. When they left, couldn't tell they had been here. It was in my backyard!!! Took the place of games and prizes. She was able to invite her whole classroom from school and friends from church. Can't complain about that one.[/quote]
I'm sure it wasn't any $100, here. If it was, that would surely be a lot of entertainment for that price.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

I have some family in Boise, and it is definitely the yuppie crowd there. Even birthday parties-every year a big party. I remember being happy with family-cake and ice cream.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:10 PM

Around here, those bounce houses are the big thing for kids b'days.
I like the rule of one agemate guest per year of the child's age until they are in school. Is a 2- or 3-year-old going to care? Not if they have fun!