Baby Shower

Old 02-14-2011, 06:40 PM

Went to a Yuppie baby shower yesterday. Do all young couples have more money than they have sense these days?

I'm not complaining about the shower, just saying........
It lasted two and a half hours. We played five (maybe six) silly games. I won two of them. There were three hostesses and I'm assuming they shared the expenses. There were as many gift bags for prizes (for the games) as there were for baby gifts. They had three edible cakes and one diaper cake. Had crescent sandwiches (three different kinds ham, turkey and roast beef), fruit, chips, dip, mints, nuts and cake. The prize gifts were things like day planners, journals, hand stuff from Bath & Body Works, not super expensive but not cheap, either. I'm sure someone spent about $75.00 just on the prize gifts. The whole shower had to cost a couple hundred dollars. Is it just me? I would think a few nuts and mints, and maybe a cake would have been enough refreshments. It just seems like the money could have been pooled and bought a crib or something big. It makes me nuts to see money spent for ridiculous things.
I guess I'm through ranting now.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:49 PM

Were you in WI on Saturday. Same deal.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:52 PM

Oh I must agree, after all the food is paid for and the party stuff, you could buy more than a crib. But look at the gifts they get too, I remember when a package of diapers, baby rattles, and maybe some hand made baby outfits was a huge shower, not today.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:54 PM

I'm with ya. I just don't get it. Just reviewed pics of a 1 yr old birthday party.... you would not believe it.... RENTED white tent, everyone at the party (about 25 people) were dressed alike.... men in pink shirts.... women in white sun dresses... place settings on the table....ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? More money than sense in my opinion.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:03 PM

Oh yes the birthday parties. Here in our subdivision we had a 'petting zoo'. Incredible! A truck with a red trailer that looked like a barn backed up in the drive way. They set up a temporary corral, opening the doors to the trailer made a ramp and here comes chicken, goats, sheep, miniature ponies and I don't know what else.
I'm sure that was only about five or six hundred dollars for the set up. After all, the celebration was for three year old twins. Sounds like a good deal for someone - the owner of rig. :roll:
Old 02-14-2011, 07:13 PM

I did my daughter in laws baby shower with the help of 2 friends. We did it at my house, made the food, and ordered the cake. I may have spent $50 total.

It was small and nice. Her family had a good time and it lasted maybe an hour and a half.

I think too many people try to "out do" one another. I did what I could afford, kept it simple, and it was just a nice day.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 PM

I feel like the mean Nana at times... The other Grandmother only has 2 GD from her daughter, we have 5 GD & GS so if you spend $10 on one, then to me it becomes $50 (one doesn't get something that the ones don't ... birthdays different), so we don't get little trinkets or go all out on holidays.

Hopefully my son understands because that is the way it was when he was growing up too. I love my DIL but dang her mom has to make such a production out of everything.

I'm sure at the shower you attended, someone else was sitting there aghast at what was going on, but I'll also guess they were older than 25 or 30.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:19 PM

It is the old Keep up with the Jones's thingy!! We never got in that cycle with our kids. No gifts for any holiday except Christmas and birthdays. We did special things for other holidays but no gifts. Kids get too much STUFF these days and adults are to blame!!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:54 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KathyAire
Oh yes the birthday parties. Here in our subdivision we had a 'petting zoo'. Incredible! A truck with a red trailer that looked like a barn backed up in the drive way. They set up a temporary corral, opening the doors to the trailer made a ramp and here comes chicken, goats, sheep, miniature ponies and I don't know what else.
I'm sure that was only about five or six hundred dollars for the set up. After all, the celebration was for three year old twins. Sounds like a good deal for someone - the owner of rig. :roll:
Have to comment here. My granddaughter had one for her 6th birthday last year. The cost for two ponies with rides for 90 minutes, all the farm animals, set up and clean up was $100. When they left, couldn't tell they had been here. It was in my backyard!!! Took the place of games and prizes. She was able to invite her whole classroom from school and friends from church. Can't complain about that one.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:45 PM

The thing that gets me is that they feel like they have to have a party every year. Not just milestone years, but every year.