Bed Bugs EEEEK!

Old 09-12-2010, 07:49 PM

YEAH!!! I am thrilled you don't have those! If her room is in the basement it could be a number of things. For some reason finished basement or not, bugs can get in there. Get some rest, tomorrow will be a better day for you :)
Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 PM

Yay for you! I thought we had them once, but thankfully not.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:27 AM

...............I MAY NOT EVER STAY IN A MOTEL AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!mY sister told me of a case where elderly grandparents took their grandchild on a road trip and stayed in a VERY NICE hotel, to awaken to see the 3 year old blowing in a "balloon" The problem - it WASN'T a BALLOON - and it wasn't clean! MAKES ME SICK!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:47 AM

OMG! that is awful. It really makes me want tot stay home and not go anywhere!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:52 AM

In a few states, there are laws about selling used mattresses. I can definitely understand that! Mattresses and undies are two things that I want to be brand new. :lol:

Yuck yuck yuck yuck about the "balloon" in the motel room! Gag!!! :shock:
Old 09-13-2010, 05:03 AM

I had them in my place earlier this year while I was on Christmas leave. My OH worked away and bought them home from a motel that was right next door to a backpackers hostel. They are rampant in backpackers.

I didnt know what they were - I just saw the evidence in the morning and I was itching like mad. They never bit him AT ALL. So after some research on the net, I realised what they were. :(

All the cleaning and spraying did no good. In the end I wrapped the mattress in a plastic bag (fortunately my son worked in a shop that sold mattresses and he bought the plastic bag home) and then threw the bagged mattress in the back yard. The summer sun killed them all - and yes there was hundreds of them in the plastic bag. The mattress then went to the dump. After that I got a steamer and steamed the room from top to bottom and then called in the exterminator. After he had finished spraying, we bought a new bed - this time a proper bed, not an ensemble.

I am totally paranoid of them coming back. I dispise the creepy little critters. I have also invested in a mattress protector that keeps the bugs out, so if they ever come back, they wont be able to get in the mattress. The exterminator was amazed that they were in a private residence - he had never seen that before.

All up it cost me about $3000 to get rid of them and replace furniture. Not to mention that it totally ruined my leave as I was washing linen every day in boiling water, spraying the bed and the room, getting bitten to death every night, and I had to completely empty my wardrobe contents and wash and iron everything in it.

A thoroughly horrid experience I never wish to repeat. And OH does not work away any more.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:23 AM

I had to read this thread.....dd and I are going on a little getaway this weekend............bet I don't sleep a bit.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:27 AM

sorry to hear of the BBs it is a problem even here in Australia, as mentioned you have to wash everything in hot hot water and pop into a hot dryer, vaccuum the matress and burn the bag of waste then spray the mattress with fly spray or a bug spray and leave in the sun for a few days too. you may have to repeat the treatment a few times. to get the eggs as they hatch. not sure about the life cycle of BBs but most eggs hatch within 3 weeks so you would need to treat it for at least that long to make sure you get them. other than this throw it all out and fumigate the room leave it sealed for a couple of weeks and then redecorate.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:35 AM

If you are where you can do this, take the mattress outside and burn it! Buy a new one.

Vanessa
Old 09-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

It is expensive and takes a long time to get rid of bedbugs. They get in the walls, floorboards, every where. clocks, tvs, laptops, any teeny tiny crevice anywhere. You have to dismantle bed frames, drawers from desks and dressers.
Caulk and seal all holes where pipes and wires penetrate walls and floor, and fill cracks around baseboards and moldings and this is just the start of what has to be done. Just getting a new mattress won't work. Hotels desperately try to keep the bedbug problem quiet. They can't seal up the room because money loss is too much, rarely do they get new mattresses but put a new mattress pad on it. By the time hotels, motels notice the bedbugs are a problem they are infested in the whole place. International travel is more then ever now and a lot of countries have bed bug as just something to put up with. You can bring them back in your suitcase, clothing, shoes and before you know it they are in your home.