Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Best book you've read in the past few months? >
  • Best book you've read in the past few months?

• Best book you've read in the past few months?

Old 04-13-2015, 08:44 AM

The Girl on the Train is a must read for everyone! My only regret was that I bought it on my iPad, so I can't share it with ALL my friends! It is great, and keeps you guessing until the end.
    Old 04-13-2015, 09:38 AM
    Power Poster

I just read the Mystery of the Sheimeta by Johnathan Cahn. He talks about the Harbingers in that book also...Gives you a lot to think about...
    Old 04-13-2015, 11:11 AM

I loved the Midford series of books by Jan Karon.. A PBS series would be great especially since we are coming up to the last season of Downton Abbey.
    Old 04-13-2015, 11:38 AM

I'm reading "Four Blood Moons" on my Nook. Scary this book is about the coming of Christ and what takes place before he comes. What is happening today is what is in the Bible
    Old 04-13-2015, 02:01 PM

I listened to the entire Maisie Dobbs mystery series by Jacqueline Winspear while sewing. The series is historical fiction. Wonderful
    Old 04-13-2015, 02:27 PM

I am a science fiction reader so I read anything by Asimov, Heinlein, Norton, McCaffery (the old tried and true books - good stories) Also, my favorite set, which is not SF, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy preceded by the Hobbit by JRR Tolkein. I also like the cozy mysteries (fluff stuff): Crewel World Mysteries, Benny Harper, etc. But I also like to take an occasional foray into all kinds of genres.

I haven't had time for a while for a good read, but am getting ready to go on a long flight/vacation so it is the perfect time to haul out an old friend to take with me.
    Old 04-13-2015, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by M cubed
    I am a science fiction reader so I read anything by Asimov, Heinlein, Norton, McCaffery (the old tried and true books - good stories)
    This is me, too, you've listed some of my favorites! Some other sci-fi authors that I love and you might also like (and probably already know about most of these) - Ben Bova (probably my #1 favorite), Larry Niven, Alastair Reynolds, David Brin, Jack McDevitt (he has 2 series going I like a lot), Allen Steele (some of his stuff is on the funny side), Arthur C. Clarke (loved the Rama series), Robert Charles Wilson, & John Scalzi, off the top of my head. (Leaving out all the obvious classics like Vonnegut, Zelazny, Bradbury, etc.)

And then on the Fantasy side, S.M.Stirling is a recent find for me; just binge-read 20 of his books and can't wait for more to come out. Also love Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, Rob Thurman, Peter V. Brett, Robert Jordan, George RR Martin, Jim Butcher, Kevin Hearne, L.E. Modesitt Jr., and Jack Whyte. (Again, leaving out a lot of the classics)
    Old 04-13-2015, 04:38 PM

I'm on my second reading of Voyager by Diana Gabaldon. This is book three of an eight-part series, and several have been on the NY Times bestseller list in first place. They have won other awards, too. There are additional "side" books that support the series. I have read every word, and there are many, believe me. It's worth the reading and the re-reading. IMHO, these books are the BEST historical fiction, actually the very best fiction, I've ever read. The television show on Starz helps flesh them out, but does change a few things. Still, both books and show are excellent and I recommend them highly. They are better, by far, than many other books I've read, and I am a lifelong dedicated reader.

One can buy a DVD or Blu-ray recording of the first eight shows, and soon, the rest of the first season.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 04-13-2015 at 04:42 PM.
    Old 04-13-2015, 05:46 PM

I misspoke earlier....."In the Name of Honor" is by Richard North Patterson not Nelson DeMille....sorry if I confused anyone.........The story is outstanding!!
    Old 04-13-2015, 08:05 PM

i've been reading easy, can lay down, and pick back up anytime books right now. i've gone thru the jack reacher books. janet evan..... # series books. etc. just haven't found anything, i want to quit quilting for. easy reading for when i'm resting from quilting.