Black Walnut Trees

Old 09-01-2010, 08:01 AM

We have several and its looks like its going to be a good year for the walnuts.

Ours always are the first trees to loose their leaves (in August) so I don't think there is anything wrong with them here. However, I've been hearing on the news that there is some kind of bug or disease that "they" are trying to keep out of Missouri as Missouri receives a lot of income from the walnuts.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

Nancy, we have a beautiful one in our yard but it looks awful right now, sounds like yours. Several of my trees look just as bad. This summer did a number on everything!!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by emt2004
I understand that the wood from the trees is worth alot to woodworkers...........Michele
Yes I believe that is true. I love my tree- it's got such a lovely straight trunk and is really tall. I love trees!! Hard to cut any even though sometimes it's necessary.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

We have trees out here that the leaves started changing colors and dropping a month ago. The master gardener said it was due to an exceptionally hot early summer, and a very dry end of summer...
You could call the master gardener in your area to find out if other's are having this problem too. Our's are found through the county extension offices :D:D:D
Old 09-01-2010, 12:12 PM

Our walnut tree looks fine, we haven't started getting nuts yet.
But...a few of our oak trees don't look very good. The leaves didn't get very big this year. I'm hoping it has to do with the weather. We planted lots of trees 20+ years ago when we moved into the country. Now instead of mowing in the sun, we mow less and more of it is shaded. The house is much cooler in the summers too, which means smaller electric bills. yeah!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:42 PM

I wish I had black walnut trees. I love them.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:05 PM

I have a few AROUND my property but there is not a tree one ON my property and I have a pretty big lot.

I do remember my sister and I picking black walnuts up off the ground at my grandfathers house. We would take them behind his house where he had a couple concrete slabs and we would hammer the hull off the nut and then crack the nut and eat and eat black fingers and all. lol Oh the days!
Old 09-01-2010, 02:08 PM

Divinity with black walnuts my favorite at Christmastime.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:30 PM

We have a few, the leaves are falling because of the extrem heat, the trees will loose leaves to conserve water. We are getting nuts & they are falling. Last year we didn't get too many. I use them for baking and we feed the squirrles during the winter with them, my husband cracks them for in the feeders. They came be messy if they are close to the house. We also have 3 very large oak trees that are raining down acorns, we gather them for the deer during the winter also, they love them when sprouting.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:36 PM

I have one in the backyard. It looks really good this year but some of the leaves are starting to fall already. I never have a problem with walnuts- squirrels carry off every one long before they fall off the trees. I quess we have alot of fat squirrels in my neighborhood!