Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Blackberries - What to do with them? >
  • Blackberries - What to do with them?

• Blackberries - What to do with them?

Old 07-21-2011, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by sandyo
    Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
    The best use of blackberries ever IMO, make your own Blackberry Vodka for a special Christmas liqueur

1 litre supermarket own label vodka
    600g freshly picked blackberries
    300g sugar

Add the blackberries and sugar to a storage jar, a Wine making glass jar is idea, close the jar and give the jar a good shake to make sure the contents are thoroughly stirred up. Repeat this every day for a month. It takes a few days for the sugar to fully dissolve.

Then shake it up once a month for the following two months. (Try not to test it each time, hard but .....)

Serve neat, chilled in a special glass.

Drain off the fruit and serve on top of Ice cream, ADULTS only :twisted:
    have you done this with other berries?
    I haven't but a friend has done them with Raspberries and it tasted fab.

I also used to make Sloe Brandy instead of Sloe Gin, as a liqueur and that turned out great as well.

BTW after draining the fruit you can put it through a fine sieve, to remove the seeds and then puree for a fantastic fruit sauce :thumbup:
    Old 07-21-2011, 04:11 AM

Cant you just freeze them and decide later?
    Old 07-21-2011, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
    This year I have a superabundance of huge blackberries - on thornless bushes. I'd love to pop them into my cereal or a fruit salad but those seeds! So, I looked at recipes from the woman who knows how to do it all - Martha Stewart. She's got tons of blackberry recipes, but nowhere do I see mention of getting rid of the seeds. Does she actually make any of these or taste them? Or do the seeds magically disappear when cooked? (I suspect not.)

So what do you do with your blackberries?
    I chew them in my cereal, in cobbler and fresh off the thorny vine.
    Old 07-21-2011, 04:18 AM

My Mom made fabulous pies, but I would make juice to freeze and use in smoothies and/or jelly. Just imagine a blackberry smoothie with vanilla greek yogurt. yummmmmm
    Old 07-21-2011, 05:17 AM

Krystyna, I have red raspberries that have a lot of seeds and after I cook them I will put them in a small mesh strainer and push as much pulp out as I can. There are still a few seeds but not as many. If I have too many at a time then I will freeze them in a single layer on wax paper on a cookie sheet and then use them later when I have more time. Happy canning and freezing!
    Old 07-21-2011, 05:34 AM

I'm from the mountains of Western North Carolina and one of my very favorite breakfasts was thickened blackberries. We picked blackberries every summer, froze them and used them for thickened blackberries for breakfast. Simply
    take frozen blackberries out of freezer, put into pot, barely covering bottom with water, cook about 3-5 minutes, add sugar to taste, cornstarch to thicken, serve on hot biscuits with butter-----WONDERFUL!!!!!!
    Old 07-21-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by neeng
    You can make seedless jelly by cooking the fruit first, put it through a strainer or jelly bag so you end up with just the juice, then add your other ingredients and finish off the recipe.

Yummy, but I find this results in a lot of waste of the pulp itself and I'd rather put up with the seeds. I used to make the seedless one for my DH though.
    I like to put them through a food mill after cooking them a bit to soften them. The pulp goes through, but the seeds do not, so there is no waste of the actual fruit. I like to make blackberry (or whatever berry) wine, too!
    Old 07-21-2011, 05:59 AM

EAT "EM!
    Old 07-21-2011, 06:00 AM

A quick and easy way to save blackberries for the dead of winter. I pick the berries do not wash them. Lay them on a tray single layer and put them in the freezer overnight. Once frozen bag them is freezer zip locks in the amount you want. When you want them later take out of freezer rinse them with cold water and enjoy.

Not washing them will prevent ice crystals and the blackberries breaking down.

I use a topping for homemade ice cream, cobblers, just to eat. The real kick is using them in December.
    Old 07-21-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue
    Freeze them by washing them off and putting them into freezer bags and freezing them. Later when its cooler, take them out, cooking them until tender, run them through a squeezer with the berry screen, and make jelly.

I keep mine through the winter, and make my jell in the spring-pre-summer heat. Then my freezer is ready for more berries!!
    I started freezing mine without washing a few years ago. I think it helps reduce any ice crystals, and by not handling those delicate berries while they are soft, they hold their shape better and don't get squished. I spread them on a cookie sheet in a single layer until firm, and then put them in zip-type freezer bags. It's wonderful having berries any time of year. Just wash them in a colander when thawing.