Bone-mussle loss

Old 08-30-2011, 05:36 AM

I too say the carnation instant breakfast and/or milkshakes. You may want to check with her doctor to see if the have any free cans of Boost or Ensure as the drug reps tend to give them some for free to give to patients. You may want to contact the company directly as maybe she would be eligible for some free cans. Also, there is a drink called Scandishake that you mix your own milk with, but they are a tad costly. They're higher in calories than the Boost or Ensure if I'm remembering correctly. They too may offer assistance. I think a widow's support group may be helpful too. Just a thought.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I feel so sorry for her, you have gotten some very good advice. I hope you will be able to help her.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by wanda lou
As a nurse I second the Carnation Instant breakfast.
Me too!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:24 AM

Does she go to church? Does your town have a Senior Citizen's group? Some of them have regular meetings and home visitors.
Doesn't she have any family around? But from what you say, I believe you're not too sure if there is anyone in town close enough to her to worry about this poor lady but yourself.

Do you have Meals On Wheels?

All the others have given you good advice, and I agree she is mourning for her lost DH and not cooking for herself. Does she ever have visitors, and can you take time to visit her and have others visit? What about her housekeeping, is she depressed enough that she's not keeping up with it?

What will happen when and if she has to go to the hospital for whatever reason, does she have pets that will need taken care of? Maybe the pets will stir her into moving around more...wish I was close enough to help, but Wikpedia says you are way down on the very bottom of California and I'm in the middle.
Please let us know how this poor lady gets along, but I suspect if she was married for a life time, she won't want to live very long by herself.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 AM

I have no medical knowledge or experience but I use a vegan protein supplement (powder) from the Vitamin Shop mixed in a smoothie everyday to help with protein intake ... (almond milk, banana, handful of blueberries -organic, and powder in a blender with ice). Is she trying to lose weight? 200 seems like a heavier than healthy weight. How old is she? How long married? Any family around? It may be a varied difficulty... losing a spouse is one of the greatest stressors to challenge us.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks all,we all live 15 miles out of Yuma,Az.She can't drive.She does have 4 children who come out and take her shopping,dr visits,etc.Yes,she is lonely.She's up in her 80's I'd say.She was married for 50 yrs,so a long time.Yes she is depressed.We go over ever other day or so and stop in on the way to the postoffice.I've tried to get her to go to town with me,but she refuses.And yes,of course we help her out with groceries or anything else.When we went over after her hubby died,she was sitting there w.no TV.I said where is your TV programs,she said the dish network turned it off due to no payment.I said how about the local channels,as we now get over 9 stations over the air,she said that not one of her 50 yrs old children could hook it up,they didn't know how?So I hooked it up,so she's a happy camper there now.Can't believe those kids do not a lot for her.So Ya,we are the closest ones out here for her.SDhe can't walk well,and someone gave her a rolling seat walker,but came and got it.I couldn't believe it.She has a bad knee and can hardly walk.But we had one that was older,but worked ok,so took it down and GAVE it to her.She was using an old plain walker and couldn't get it to move in the rocks of course.That made me mad.How people can treat other people that way is beyond me!Ok,well I'll get her some of those breakfasts and shake powder.I was thinking of the whey protein too.Thanks so much.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:23 PM

I lost my DH in '89 when he was 46....we had just celebrated our 25th anniversary. I lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks but I wasn't depressed.....I was NUMB. I just wanted to be left alone to grieve and everyone of my friends thought I should be grieving their way....none of them had lost a spouse. I grieved MY way. It's wonderful that you are helping this poor old lady and it wouldn't surprise me if she joins her spouse soon. If she tells you she wants to go HOME, tell her you understand. My heart is just breaking for her. Bless you for looking after her.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

i just started buying my hubby Ensure because he is never hungry! I too will try the Carnation Instant Bkfast.
she needs to find something of interest. joining an art class, knitting, etc.
just go get out once in awhile.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ellen
I lost my DH in '89 when he was 46....we had just celebrated our 25th anniversary. I lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks but I wasn't depressed.....I was NUMB. I just wanted to be left alone to grieve and everyone of my friends thought I should be grieving their way....none of them had lost a spouse. I grieved MY way. It's wonderful that you are helping this poor old lady and it wouldn't surprise me if she joins her spouse soon. If she tells you she wants to go HOME, tell her you understand. My heart is just breaking for her. Bless you for looking after her.
Yes,I think the same thing.I'm the same way,I like to be alone at times like that.And she is in the hospital in and out.Her dr told her the other day that if she didn't start eating,they'd have to put her in re-hab,which is stupid,as like she said,nothing tastes good and she just doesn't feel like eating.She does eat tho,cause they bring groc. out.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
i just started buying my hubby Ensure because he is never hungry! I too will try the Carnation Instant Bkfast.
she needs to find something of interest. joining an art class, knitting, etc.
just go get out once in awhile.
I agree,I think I'll give her a old computer,and show her how to use it.I know she'd love it,and it would connect her to the world so she could talk to other people and play games.All she'd need is $40.00 a month.Small price to have company.