Bone-mussle loss

Old 08-30-2011, 08:42 PM

I am praying for her. Unfortunately, all too often when an elderly spouse dies, the living spouse loses all life inside and this is terrible to say, but many times the living spouse is not far behind. They don't want to go on. They don't know how to, as they are not thinking clearly. Many times health problems start or progress. People do die from a 'broken heart'.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2
People do die from a 'broken heart'.
Yes they do!!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:28 PM

For the bone loss, have her call her Dr and ask if her health can tolerate extra Calcium? My Dr out me on a Calcium supplement that she sold in her office and it improverd by Osteoporosis a little bit. I stopped taking it for 9 mos and guess what? Had more bone loss. Write to Ensure & Carnation explaining her situation and ask if they have any free programs for their products or coupons. Poor thing sounds pitiful. Losing a spouse anytime is awful but after 50 years it would be almost unbearable. With her losing down to 157 lbs, she needs to build her self up before Winter sets in. Another thing...have her ask her Dr how much Vit D would be safe for her to take. That helps depression, immunity and many other things. It has been proven that with sunscreen and clothing, we are all probably Vit D deficient here in the US. My Dr put me on 5000 mg daily and if I have a cold or sinus thing going on then I dble that. She checks my labs ever 6 mos and my D level is always within normal range. The Meals on Wheels is a great idea if you have it in your area. Wonderful program! Thank You for being so helpful & kind to this lady.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ellen
I lost my DH in '89 when he was 46....we had just celebrated our 25th anniversary. I lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks but I wasn't depressed.....I was NUMB. I just wanted to be left alone to grieve and everyone of my friends thought I should be grieving their way....none of them had lost a spouse. I grieved MY way. It's wonderful that you are helping this poor old lady and it wouldn't surprise me if she joins her spouse soon. If she tells you she wants to go HOME, tell her you understand. My heart is just breaking for her. Bless you for looking after her.
I agree with Ellen. Oh, did you ask her what help she wanted? It doesn't sound to me as if her children are neglecting her... maybe they are respecting her wishes. Perhaps this calls for a good long chat where you just listen and not care for her as you would like to do but care for her as she wants. I know that in that circumstance I would not want someone coming and trying to teach me how to use a computer... that would be the last thing on my mind.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 PM

Well,he didn't die just today,but about 3 months ago.She's already past the worst grieving of the iniatial shock of it.She's a good ole gal who I think is just lonely.Even she said they won't do much to help her out on the property especially,they won't cut the grass,trim a tree,or any thing else.Only one comes and brings her food,takes her to the dr.,and is closer to her than the rest,She just has an estranged relationship with them.One is past 50 yrs old and comes out to get $$? Hasn't grown up yet.I think she spoilt them too much and gave them too much growing up.She herself told me.They won't even fix her riding lawn more,and 2 of them are mechanics.So,they are neglectful and spoilt.I was mad as hell when I went over there and she had no TV,after 3 weeks,sitting there alone with not even a tv for company.It took me 4 minutes to unscrew a cable and screw the other one in and her tv was up and running.So,they could do more for her.So,she's past that part of it.My hubby and I have mobility scooters,in fact last July,We bought one from her as her hubby refused to ride it,and at that time she was big and refused to ride it too.She was worried about all things,what she looked like on it.She said she was too big to ride it around.And she wasn't.I told her the other day,she needed to get another one and start riding it,even over to our place,or to get her mail,which is down the road.We ride every nigh somewhere out here.She could go with us.That would help her more I think than anything.She also has a big place,she could ride it around there.Anyway,we go and stop by every time we get the mail.We have a med sized dog,and she likes her,and I told her she needs a dog.And she does.She said she wants one now.And I think she should get one not only for company,but to alert her if anything or anyone is on her property.She doesn't have anybody close to her,her house is off by itself in the middle of the fields.And I talked to her about a computer,and she was all for it.I know it's a lot of company for me.Like now,I'm talking to you all.So know.she'd love it.Well, it's hot here today.And a big weekend is coming up.So,will make sure we go and see her.Thank for all your coments.Have a good safe weekend.
Originally Posted by flowerjoy
Originally Posted by Ellen
I lost my DH in '89 when he was 46....we had just celebrated our 25th anniversary. I lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks but I wasn't depressed.....I was NUMB. I just wanted to be left alone to grieve and everyone of my friends thought I should be grieving their way....none of them had lost a spouse. I grieved MY way. It's wonderful that you are helping this poor old lady and it wouldn't surprise me if she joins her spouse soon. If she tells you she wants to go HOME, tell her you understand. My heart is just breaking for her. Bless you for looking after her.
I agree with Ellen. Oh, did you ask her what help she wanted? It doesn't sound to me as if her children are neglecting her... maybe they are respecting her wishes. Perhaps this calls for a good long chat where you just listen and not care for her as you would like to do but care for her as she wants. I know that in that circumstance I would not want someone coming and trying to teach me how to use a computer... that would be the last thing on my mind.