Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Book Recommendations Wanted! >
  • Book Recommendations Wanted!

• Book Recommendations Wanted!

Old 06-23-2024, 05:15 AM

I just finished The Guncle and loved it! It's about 2 children who have just lost their mom and because their dad needs drug treatment (pill addiction), they go to live with their gay uncle. It's a good mix of funny, sad, and trying to figure out how to go on after the death of a loved one. Highly recommend.
    Old 06-27-2024, 05:13 AM

Even when we don['t discuss them, I like seeing when some of us are/have read the same books.

Looks like I have several coming off hold fin th next couple of weeks, sold old/some new. I did just finish the current Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs. I consider this series to be Urban Fantasy like Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, that is dragons and magic set in the modern world. She has another related series (Alpha and Omega) that is more "romantacy" or fantasy/paranormalromance. Anyway, always enjoy them.

I really enjoyed my latest shipwreck story of Empire of Ice and Stone, by Buddy Levy. A non fiction that reads like an action thriller set in 1914. I am fascinated by tales of polar exploration in the age of wooden ships and low technology where the explorers were wearing wool and furs and canned food was new!

Also finished the latest Lucy Foley book, The Midnight Feast. It had some things going for it, more of a secret society thing than a locked door mystery. It was rather hard to follow in audio with switching time lines and viewpoints and partially told story leading up to a climatic finish. In print you can use white space/chapters or fonts to help keep things straight but none of that in audio. There seems to be a developing genre of particularly British Authors sort of related to the "unrelizable narrator" of Gone Girl where all the characters are unappealing to me and I'm sort of rooting to see them killed off...I've decided that I don't need to spend hours with disagreeable characters, and I can quit reading early but I kept going until the end for the various twists.

Before my next set of books come off hold, I have another Longmire and then a Chet and Bernie. They work well because I enjoy the characters/stories and they are typically under 10 hours.