Broken hearted

Old 09-28-2011, 07:14 PM

I am sorry you experienced such pain. I have a personal belief that sometimes when we hand-craft an object for an intended recipient, that is NOT always the person the divine spirit intends it for. I do believe that things find their way to the right person at the right time. I know you and your sister made that quilt for your mom and that her lack of gratitude hurt, but you said yourself the memories of making that quilt are the true treasure for you. Focus on those happy memories; the moments shared between sisters laughing and creating beauty. I believe that your quilt is happily residing with someone who truly loves it - and however hurtful her act, your mom played an important part in getting that quilt to its rightful recipient. (And no, I am not justifying her callous behavior.) Let go of the hurt and focus on the memories instead.

I can give you a for-instance of this very thing. For many, many years now, I have wanted a decorative broom to hang near my front doorway as a symbol to remind me to sweep negative things out of my home and keep my home and hearth spiritually clean. I never did find just the right thing despite over 15 years of searching shops etc. A girlfriend of mine was at a friend's house and that friend was getting rid of stuff in her garage. My friend spied a broom among the stuff and asked about it. Turns out the broom was a wedding gift to a Catholic couple who reviled it as an evil object and a symbol of evil things. They hated the broom from the get-go. Now the broom resides in my home, where I see it every day and it reminds me to sweep negativity from my heart and home and fill it with love instead. It is an integral part of my home and I am happy every time I walk into my home and see it. Just picture the person who gave the original gift and how bothered they must be that the gift they chose is never on display in the couple's home. In fact, that person may even know it was cast off and be feeling hurt. If only they knew how much I cherish their gift!!!

Perhaps it is a goofy way to think, but that is how I choose to see it.

PS Sorry for the novel. I guess your post touched a nerve for me. ;)
Old 09-28-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by quilter68
QuiltE,

Just an FYI - Roseanna, Roseanna Danna was on Laugh-in. Now I am dating myself but I am pretty sure thatas is where the saying came from.

Quilter68
Ps My sisters'name is Roseanne.
No she wasn't. She was on Saturday Night Live. Gilda Radner was the actress who played Roseanna Danna.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:10 AM

I am sorry she is like that!! I understand, my mom is like that also. She either throws things I give her away or gives them away. I don't do it anymore. Just know your heart was in the right place and someone will love that quilt and appreciate it!! :-) :-) :-)
Old 09-29-2011, 04:15 AM

These stories of precious heirlooms disappearing bring home a thought I have had for a long time....after my father died, the division of his household items became a point of real tension between some family members...and some do not talk to each other anymore because of it. Now I have ten children, and DO NOT want that to happen to them....so as the years go by, from time to time I ask who want what of my stuff...and that is put as an attachment in my will. As much as possible, Lord willing, I will gift said items to each before I pass on, but if not, who gets what is in a legal document, that if necessary, any child can have a probate court intervene should one of my children turn out to be less than honest. This may not solve all the issues that happen among children when a parent dies, but I hope to help them avoid some of it.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by 1234Irene
I too u derstand. My DH oldest son recently got married about a year ago. His wife has 4 little girls. I was excited to get them as grand babies, and made them each a quilt. I contacted the DIL, telling her I made quilts for each one of the girls, and that next time they are over to take them to them. That was nearly six months ago, have seen them several times, and their quilts are still here. Really disappoints me. I often wonder why she won't let the girls have them. Probably just as well. She would probably give them away, breaking my heart even more. If they stay married, I'll just keep them and give them to the girls when they get older. I don't know what else to do. On their labels I had put from your new gramma, with lots of love. Then dated each one. So even if they don't get them till they are older, they will know.
Maybe she feels shy about asking you to get them for her. Why don't you get them out and give them to her when they come over?
Old 09-29-2011, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by be a quilter
I am sorry she is like that!! I understand, my mom is like that also. She either throws things I give her away or gives them away. I don't do it anymore. Just know your heart was in the right place and someone will love that quilt and appreciate it!! :-) :-) :-)
My MIL was like that too. Her daughter and I used to plan gifts for her that she would surely like and MIL would give them away or if they were clothes or purses give my gift to her DD and her DD's gift to me. After awhile SIL nd I would buy MIL gifts that we liked too!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by KarenR
Contact the goodwill they maybe still have it.
I don't know if this is true, but I was told that Goodwill doesn't put things out at the site where they were deposited. Does anyone know about this? You may need to contact different Goodwill sites in the area.

Your quilt will go into good hands.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by tsnana2000
Originally Posted by quilter68
QuiltE,

Just an FYI - Roseanna, Roseanna Danna was on Laugh-in. Now I am dating myself but I am pretty sure thatas is where the saying came from.

Quilter68
Ps My sisters'name is Roseanne.
FYI Roseanna Roseanna Danna was played by Gilda Radner on Saturday Night Live. She was hysterical.

Still don't get what that has to do with anything in this thread????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :-D
Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 AM

Wow I surely feel your pain and am so sorry you had to go through this. But, I agree with those that said what goes around comes around. It often does.

Over the many years of my life I gave my mother a lot of things. And so did my dad. She gave every single one away. I asked my dad once why he kept buying her a watch for Christmas knowing she was going to give it away shortly thereafter. His answer was that it wouldn't matter what it was.

Another example: I crocheted an afghan for her in colors that matched her room where she liked to sit in a recliner and listen to the radio. She gave it to my brother and said she had it made especially for him. I tried to explain to him but he did not believe me.

Anything of value or family history was given to my brother or others. But, I still took care of her at the end of her life and can sleep easily at night knowing I did the right thing.

A sweet Christian friend, now deceased, once told me, "This too shall pass." I didn't quite understand that at first, but as time went on, it became a great comfort to me to think of that.

So, I pass those words on to you along with a hug for you and your sister.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Originally Posted by be a quilter
My MIL was like that too. Her daughter and I used to plan gifts for her that she would surely like and MIL would give them away or if they were clothes or purses give my gift to her DD and her DD's gift to me. After awhile SIL nd I would buy MIL gifts that we liked too!
LOL That is a great idea!!!! Love that!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: