Broken hearted

Old 09-29-2011, 04:55 AM

I am so sorry for the hurt to find that out. I think we have all spent time and love on projects that were rejected by someone, or gifts without thank-you's etc. But God saw your heart and the love that you made it with and that's what matters. We reap what we sow...I recently got a fabulous quilt on E-bay for $50.00 and when I turned it over there was a tag that it had been made by someone's Grandmother and it made me cry. I have no such family heirlooms to treasure and couldn't understand how anyone could part with such a gift. I whispered, "Thank-you Grandma, it's in good hands now..."
Originally Posted by luvstoquilt
My sister and I made a quilt for our mother for a birthday about 6 years ago. I need to tell you we are a family of 3 "kids"..2 girls and one boy. I guess we always knew she only had one child ... our deceased brother...but we loved him, too. We made a quilt called "House Dresses" and we had so much fun making dresses we remembered her wearing, pearls, scissors in the pocket, etc. She said she loved it. Today I found out she gave it to the Goodwill. So if you are in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area and you bought a quilt of house dresses please know it was made with so much love and we hoped she would love it. Just a side note: she was a quilter and she is the one that got us started.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
Wow I surely feel your pain and am so sorry you had to go through this. But, I agree with those that said what goes around comes around. It often does.

Over the many years of my life I gave my mother a lot of things. And so did my dad. She gave every single one away. I asked my dad once why he kept buying her a watch for Christmas knowing she was going to give it away shortly thereafter. His answer was that it wouldn't matter what it was.

Another example: I crocheted an afghan for her in colors that matched her room where she liked to sit in a recliner and listen to the radio. She gave it to my brother and said she had it made especially for him. I tried to explain to him but he did not believe me.

Anything of value or family history was given to my brother or others. But, I still took care of her at the end of her life and can sleep easily at night knowing I did the right thing.

A sweet Christian friend, now deceased, once told me, "This too shall pass." I didn't quite understand that at first, but as time went on, it became a great comfort to me to think of that.

So, I pass those words on to you along with a hug for you and your sister.
Sounds like our mothers could be twins! I am her caretaker now and if she has something she thinks I would like she will give it to anyone else. It was always that way and it used to hurt but doesn't anymore. I thought I was over letting her hurt me but when she told me about the quilt and knew my sister wanted it, I was on my knees. I am about over it now...there is too much sadness in the world to let this be a real issue. I am nearly 10 years older than my sister and I have always taken care of her when she needed help. We had so much fun making that quilt and we will just have to remember and enjoy that time we spent together. My MIL used to say "This too shall pass!" I do think of it often. Most people think my mother is so sweet but my MIL picked up on her on their first meeting. I think of her so often and miss her. My grandmother always told me God never gave us a load to heavy to handle and she always tried to make things nice with my mother (her dil). I feel like I have been through a therapy session and I thank all of the board that has listened and cared. I am a very lucky woman and I have a wonderful family and life. Memories of my GM and MIL are always with me and their love and wisdom is there for me. Thanks again to all of you.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:17 AM

Recovering from grief and depression may never happen. Some pain may discolor a person's mind and spirit for the rest of his/her life.

Please let your hurt go.......she told you she loved the quilt and she did. Your mother did not give away your love with the quilt. The sadness or misery eating at her prompts her to poor decisions that probably, unknown to you, hurt her more than anyone else.

Discarding cherished objects can be a sign of withdrawal from life, either figuratively or literally. Keep a loving eye on her.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:18 AM

( I recently got a fabulous quilt on E-bay for $50.00 and when I turned it over there was a tag that it had been made by someone's Grandmother and it made me cry. I have no such family heirlooms to treasure and couldn't understand how anyone could part with such a gift. I whispered, "Thank-you Grandma, it's in good hands now...")

Great attitude. I would hate to see a quilt I made for one of my grandkids being sold like that. I've told them when they outgrew their baby quilts to leave the quilt in the bottom of one of their drawers as a memory of all the times they play on it or snuggled with it when they were little.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by 1234Irene
I too u derstand. My DH oldest son recently got married about a year ago. His wife has 4 little girls. I was excited to get them as grand babies, and made them each a quilt. I contacted the DIL, telling her I made quilts for each one of the girls, and that next time they are over to take them to them. That was nearly six months ago, have seen them several times, and their quilts are still here. Really disappoints me. I often wonder why she won't let the girls have them. Probably just as well. She would probably give them away, breaking my heart even more. If they stay married, I'll just keep them and give them to the girls when they get older. I don't know what else to do. On their labels I had put from your new gramma, with lots of love. Then dated each one. So even if they don't get them till they are older, they will know.
However and whenever the girls receive the quilts(if ever) you have to understand there may be many reasons the girls' mother hasn't picked up the quilts. You are a step-grandmother. There could be issues of some 'sensitivities' of the 'real' grandmothers causing the mother to tread carefully about receiving gifts from you. I've been there - felt that(it's better now though). Or - she doesn't like quilts or feels ackward because she doesn't know you well enough yet.
You could do as May from Jersey said and just deliver them the next time you see them. Who knows, she may simply have forgotten. I'm sure the girls will love them but if they disappear you can only realize you made them with love and wherever they go they will be loved by someone.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:26 PM

so sorry. :-(
Old 09-30-2011, 02:48 AM
Power Poster

so sorry this happened to you and your sister you and your sister will be rewarded someday
Old 10-01-2011, 02:17 AM

So sorry, but Roseanne Roseanna Danna was on Saturday Night Live and performed by the great and much missed Gilda Radner
Old 10-01-2011, 06:50 AM

I am so sorry for your sadness. Please, please try to let the anger and sadness go! Having a grudge or bitterness hurts you more than anyone else. I once read that holding a grudge against someone is sort of like drinking poison and hoping it will kill your enemy.

Don't poison your self over this!
Old 10-01-2011, 07:06 AM

I am so sorry but know exactly how you and your sister feel. My brothers were all my mom saw and they are gone now. It hurts, we don't always get the mom's we want do we. But rest assured God knows your heart and you are not alone. I thank God my aunt(moms sister) is a sweet caring person who has always taken an interest in me. She loves me like her own daughters. Hope you have someone like that in your life too. [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/reposit...ve/hug-035.gif[/IMG]