Buy the Pattern!

Old 09-04-2019, 10:42 AM

I am fair at drawing out a pattern but if it is one I really love i will buy it. If it is a hard one I buy it.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

I have patterns I haven't made yet. I usually just make up my own.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by DJ
I have been disappointed in the instructions in some purchased patterns. Several times, I've ended up doing it my own way and felt like the price of the pattern was a waste of money.
Unless a pattern has a blog tutorial or video I don't buy it I don't care who the designer is.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

What an interesting topic Bear. I have quite the library of quilt books so I have a lot of patterns from those. I like books a lot because you get a lot of patterns for the price of the book and often you can buy the book used on Amazon for just a few dollars plus shipping. If it is something really complex like Judy N. yes, I will definitely buy the pattern. I nearly had a seizure the first time I saw the prices of the Quiltworx patterns but considering it includes all the paper piecing patterns it was an easier pill to swallow but $50 for a pattern is not something I am willing to shell out very often. I am also pretty good at figuring out patterns from pictures, especially if they are traditional blocks or a technique I already know. But I do spend a lot of time looking at pinterest and have a pinterest board of quilt patterns I like. Some I can make without a pattern but others I would never attempt without one. If I can figure it out on my own, I won't buy the pattern. And I also take advantage of free patterns that designers publish and make available for download or the fabric manufacturers. I have quite a few of those printed out waiting for their turn on the bucket list. I also enjoy using patterns for just a particular block and then do my own thing figuring out the layout. I am working on one like that right now. I used applique patterns from a book and have built the quilt around a panel. I also make things up as I go when piecing backs.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:20 PM

I just love to get out the graph paper and do my own thing. I have bought patterns in the past that are hard to understand or waste a lot of fabric, or use a technique that could be simpler. On the other hand I have also learned new ways of doing things that makes more sense to MY brain and sometimes saves a step or two. I realize I do not have a Paper piecing patience.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:06 AM

Iceblossom, it's me who won't buy a pattern unless it has an actual picture of a quilt that was made from it on the advertising.

I will buy a pattern if I really like it and I want to do it right away and they sell PDF's, otherwise, I won't wait for a seller to mail me a pattern...I'm too impatient and it takes too long and is too expensive to get them from the USA. By then, I've moved on to something else.

I do buy books and get patterns from those. I'll also find free patterns on the 'net. I also design my own.

I recently bought EQ8 and have been having fun with that, so perhaps I will be buying fewer patterns.

Watson
Old 09-05-2019, 12:43 PM

I don't buy the pattern if I can figure it out or find a free one online. I do buy the pattern if I'm confused. The last one I purchased was Labyrinth and worth ever bit of the $9.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter
I'm happy to cough up money for patterns, if it's a design I really like. Granted, most I could figure out if it's simple math, but it is so much easier to let someone else do all that for me! As for Judy Niemeyer's patterns, I would never try to figure those out! Her patterns are worth every penny!
I agree! Most of the time, I just buy the pattern. Especially with the downloadable ones the cost so little, why would I spend my precious spare time figuring all that out? I'm not sure I'll ever attempt to do a Judy Niemeyer pattern much less try to figure one out.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:38 PM

I purchase the pattern because that designer has put a lot of time and effort into it.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:45 AM

Most patterns are not that expensive so I don't see the big deal about spending 10 bucks on a pattern since I spend that much on lunch