Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Buying fabric when you see it - NOW I understand! >
  • Buying fabric when you see it - NOW I understand!

• Buying fabric when you see it - NOW I understand!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:30 PM

Well Ladies we have us another budding fabriholic WELCOME ABOARD :lol:
    Old 06-27-2011, 02:14 PM

ditto :)
    Old 06-27-2011, 06:42 PM

Thanks for giving the name of your obsesion, I looked it up and it is beautiful! I can see why you "just had too" :wink:
    Old 06-27-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
    If I see fabric I really like and I can afford it at the time I always buy it. I love shopping for fabric. Hello my name is _________ and I'm a fabricholic!
    LOL My name is Deb and I'm in the seat next to you in this meeting of fabriholics. :lol:
    Old 06-27-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by SharBear
    I am not a fan of buying fabric just because I like it - don't boo me for that!

HOWEVER, I am coming to very quickly realize that if there is something I want to make using the same fabrics that it's shown in - BUY IT NOW. My local LQS had the "Camelot - In the Beginning" book and fabrics - THEY ARE STUNNING. Well the fabric sold out in 2 weeks and they can't get anymore! I either have to buy it all on line and put it away for when I can get to it or resign myself to not making it. That thought makes me sad.

Next time - Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead!

Hancock's carries it. ;)

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...abrics--m-3363
    Old 06-27-2011, 08:42 PM
    Banned

HOWEVER, I am coming to very quickly realize that if there is something I want to make using the same fabrics that it's shown in - BUY IT NOW. My local LQS had the "Camelot - In the Beginning" book and fabrics - THEY ARE STUNNING. Well the fabric sold out in 2 weeks and they can't get anymore! I either have to buy it all on line and put it away for when I can get to it or resign myself to not making it. That thought makes me sad.

even more so now that the cotton shortage had the manufacturers NOT making more than one run of any line.....buy it or forget it is the new mantra for shopping...
    Old 06-28-2011, 03:29 AM

There is also so many fabric designs and companies to buy from and QSs want to keep their stores stocked with the newest lines. They may not be able to re-stock the fast sellers or they many not want to in favor of stocking another new line. The customers want to see "what's new" everytime they walk into a store.

It takes at least 3 months to print and ship a fabric line from overseas and this does not include concept/design time at the office. So, it is conceivable that it takes about 6 months total to produce one collection of fabric...from concept to printing, shipping, and on to the store shelf. Yes, buy it if you love it!

There are "exceptions" to the fabric reprint rule but it is not the norm. Some fabric companies do reprint lines but not all of them do or will. What is a "best seller" in one area of the country may not be a "best seller" in another...it even varies shop to shop.
    Old 06-28-2011, 03:42 PM

Not the same but close...I found a book with tessellated evergreen trees by jinny beyer but passed it up since my method is I must like at least five patterns before I buy a book. I have regretted not buying that book for years and now it is out of print. I am not sure which of her books it is in so I can not find the book even if it is in print. Whoe is me:( I understand how you feel about the fabric. Hope you find it again. Like old loves...we never forget.
    Old 06-28-2011, 04:12 PM

I learned along time ago, if I see something I like I buy it. Too many times I have left a store only to keep thinking about a fabric that I should have purchased. This is esp awful if you are traveling and then can't find it at a store near home.
    Old 06-28-2011, 04:18 PM
    Google Goddess

:) :)