C-PAP anyone?

Old 09-25-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine
We Joke. I always say "Good night Darth (Vader of course)".
MK
That's funny. When I am telling anyone about it, I say that I sound like Darth Vader when I try to talk with it on. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by rainbow quilter
Does anyone have a C-PAP machine?

Last night was my first night on one and it was challenging to say the least. I didn't have any trouble at the sleep lab, but at home, the hose rubbed against the board at the side of the bed and made a zipping sound and I managed to knock the whole unit off of the night stand at about 2 in the morning. I gave up after that and will give it another go tonight.

Any advice from anyone who has worked this all out would be appreciated :)

My Husband has been using one for about 4 years. He has his on the floor just under the bed and the lights on it bother me so he keeps a small towel over the top. Now we are both happy and he doesn't snore anymore! Keep with it, you will get used to it. Just try different things until you find what works for you. Hubby has also tried like six different types of masks, etc. Finally he is comfortable and I can sleep in the same room with him....LOL! Good Luck!
Old 09-25-2011, 04:02 PM

I've had one for 12 years - Don't even nap without it.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

It takes some getting used to when you first start using a C-pap machine. I have used a Bi-Pap machine since 1993 when I went into severe pulmonary hypertension because of severe sleep apnea. I was growing and gaining weight daily as my body filled up with fluid, but I was fortunate enough to have a Dr. send me to the right place with the right solutions. One weekend in ICU with oxygen and the Bi-Pap machine (which simulates normal breathing - not a continuous flow of air), and an 800 calorie diet, I lost 57 pounds. I'm lucky to still be alive, but I still need to wear the mask at night, so does my husband - we'd be really scary at night if someone broke into our house, with both of us wearing masks. Be patient, wear the mask as long as you can and soon you'll be able to keep it on all night.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:49 PM

My son uses an oversized recliner so he can sort of stretch out on it - and yet not have the chance to roll over; it works great for him!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:44 PM

I use one and they make sleeves for the hose. Works great for the noise and keeps the heat in better, especially if you are like me, I have the window open when it's 20 below!!! It really does get better.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:51 PM

I had SEVERE sleep apnea. My husband lost many nights of sleep because of me. When I knew it was getting bad, I would be with a whole group of us that hung around together & I would be in the middle of a conversation, nod off & then wake back up. I never realized this but my hubby told me about what I had done. Then the worst part was I was getting to where I was dozing off while I was driving. I could feel it coming on. If I could get to a place to pull off I'd do so immedidately to try n shake that tired feeling. Then one day I was coming home with our youngest son in the car, saw 2 semi trucks & 4 cars coming at us. I could feel an 'episode' coming on & I started praying. "Dear God please just let me make it by these trucks" And I did make it by the trucks. but I don't remember the 4 cars. We made it passed all of them safely but it was time to do something about it. So I had the sleep study, got the c-pap & have been thru all of what all the other people have talked about. I like the nasal pillows the best. You can't have the mask adjusted too loose or too tight. If it's too loose you will hear hissing where the air is escaping. If it's too tight you will get sore nostrils.You also can wipe the mask & your face with a baby wipe to remove any oil on your face or mask so it will get a better seal. I also have long hair so I pull my hair back so I can get the head gear on & in the right place before I lay down. The night I had my sleep study, I had 3 good hours of sleep & I felt like a new person. I've not lost any weight since I've gotten mine but I too have pulmonary hypertension & other things that were probably caused by having sleep apnea. Mine is set on 20 & I will never sleep without mine. I do sleep with pillows over my face to muffle any noises that may keep dh awake or I sleep with my face under the covers now. I was never able to sleep with my face covered before. And the best part? You don't smell your hubbys stinky farts!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:52 PM

I had to get a different type of mask as the first one I had just wasn't comfortable. The new mask had a clip that held the hose up and over my forehead, a tiny little piece that went in my nostrils but nothing that covered my mouth, and I never had anymore problems.

If you are a restless sleeper (move around a lot) it may take a while to get used to it but it will be worth it in the end.

My hubby bumps his off occasionally but when he does it wakes me up because he either snores or tops breathing and after nearly 41 years, I'm tuned in to the 'danger' sounds and it wakes me up so I can wake him up.

BTW I lost 90 lbs, don't need the C-PAP anymore, apparently my problem was related to my weight and not anything more serious. Hang in there.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:58 PM

My husband actually fits people and teaches them how to use the machines. I also use one. Make a cover for the tubing, that will help with the zipper noise.
Try sitting/lying in bed and watching tv for a while to help get used to wearing it at night. Try different masks too, if one doesn't work go back to the place you got the c-pap from. My husband brings homes all kinds of masks. Even one that is specific to women. That's the one I like best. It's smaller for our face and the plastic is super soft. Good luck!
Originally Posted by rainbow quilter
Does anyone have a C-PAP machine?

Last night was my first night on one and it was challenging to say the least. I didn't have any trouble at the sleep lab, but at home, the hose rubbed against the board at the side of the bed and made a zipping sound and I managed to knock the whole unit off of the night stand at about 2 in the morning. I gave up after that and will give it another go tonight.

Any advice from anyone who has worked this all out would be appreciated :)
Old 09-25-2011, 06:32 PM

I never got used to mine.
It made sores on my face kept me awake and made my throat hurt.

On the other hand I know of 2 other people that love theirs now that they are used to it,
and say they can't sleep with out it.

They just didn't understand why I didn't like mine.