C-PAP anyone?

Old 09-25-2011, 06:53 PM

I have been using the machine since l994. My first machine was very noisy but the new one I got last year is so quiet even my husband sometimes asks if it is on. Just keep on keeping on and it will soon become just second nature. I do not think I could sleep without it now. An added feature is that i no longer fall asleep at stop signs.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gladys
Wow what great suggestions, I have the strap marks left on my cheeks too for a long time the next day. I will definitely visit the C-pap forum...It took me a long time to get used to it but it really helps.
I used to too, until I started using the Swift FX nasal pillow mask. It comes with a pair of nice soft fabric that covers the straps. Of course, us quilters could very well make our own. :thumbup: See the pic below.

You can read more about this mask here:

http://www.resmed.com/int/products/s...ml?nc=patients

Hope this helps,

Swift FX w/ strap pads
[ATTACH=CONFIG]262358[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-262305.jpe  
Old 09-26-2011, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Wow what great suggestions, I have the strap marks left on my cheeks too for a long time the next day. I will definitely visit the C-pap forum...It took me a long time to get used to it but it really helps.
I used to too, until I started using the Swift FX nasal pillow mask. It comes with a pair of nice soft fabric that covers the straps. Of course, us quilters could very well make our own. :thumbup: See the pic below.

Hope this helps,
This is the mask I use. I love it because I can wear my glasses with the mask on and fall asleep reading, which I love to do!
Before being diagnosed with sleep apnea, I was such a light sleeper, awake at every little sound. Up at least twice to use the RR, sometimes 3 or 4 times. I was gaining weight without increasing my calories.
I have been on a C-PAP since July, lost about 12 pounds without trying, and once I go to sleep, I am OUT for the night!
The first ten days or so were rough getting used to the mask, but tried a couple of different ones and found this Swift FX for Her. It was a match made in heaven! Don't be shy about working with your equipment supplier - they want you to be comfortable.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:39 AM

Hope this helps,
This is the mask I had and it didn't leave marks on my face. The doctor at the sleep study place hadn't seen one made just for women (at the time I got mine) so I took it to him so he could prescribe it for other patients. (My medical supply store is the one who recommended this one. They called the doctor and got it approved.)
Old 09-26-2011, 07:50 AM

For anyone wanting the info of the item I was talking about under the mask to keep you skin on your nose from breaking down it's called a Gecko. At our local store it is $15. The ones online are $24.95 http://www.respshop.com/advanced_sea...keywords=gecko Hope this helps anyone looking for this item.

Hugs,
Angie
Old 09-26-2011, 07:54 AM

My husband also uses a chin strap to keep his mouth closed because he was losing air this way. Had leaks etc. The strap was $11 at our local store and has really helped. He looks like a wrestler with it on. LOL!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:40 AM

I have one and the sleep that I get from it is so much better. It took me a week to get used to it and now don't sleep with out it.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by lovelyl

This is the mask I use. I love it because I can wear my glasses with the mask on and fall asleep reading, which I love to do!
Before being diagnosed with sleep apnea, I was such a light sleeper, awake at every little sound. Up at least twice to use the RR, sometimes 3 or 4 times. I was gaining weight without increasing my calories.
I have been on a C-PAP since July, lost about 12 pounds without trying, and once I go to sleep, I am OUT for the night!
The first ten days or so were rough getting used to the mask, but tried a couple of different ones and found this Swift FX for Her. It was a match made in heaven! Don't be shy about working with your equipment supplier - they want you to be comfortable.
Do you have any problems with hair breakage from this or any other mask? I have had some hair breakage over the last year, but I don't know for a fact that it is caused by the straps of the mask. Thought it was worth asking the question.

Thanks,
Old 09-26-2011, 04:07 PM

It takes some getting used to but it is well worth it. I have a little wooden bench I set beside the bed to set the machine on as it is suppose to be lower than the bed. Just keep trying and experimenting and you will get use to it. I could not believe the energy I had after using mine for awhile.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:35 PM

Hope this helps,
i'm really surprised that neither my doctor and the resmed website have no info on this item. it looks like it would stop the bridge of my nose from hurting all the next day, but would it get rid of the red marks?