C-PAP anyone?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:00 AM

I recently heard of it too at our local place. Maybe they aren't familiar with the item or something?
Old 09-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Originally Posted by Gladys
Wow what great suggestions, I have the strap marks left on my cheeks too for a long time the next day. I will definitely visit the C-pap forum...It took me a long time to get used to it but it really helps.
I used to too, until I started using the Swift FX nasal pillow mask. It comes with a pair of nice soft fabric that covers the straps. Of course, us quilters could very well make our own. :thumbup: See the pic below.

You can read more about this mask here:

http://www.resmed.com/int/products/s...ml?nc=patients

Hope this helps,
i'm really surprised that neither my doctor and the resmed website have no info on this item. it looks like it would stop the bridge of my nose from hurting all the next day, but would it get rid of the red marks?
The cushion-y straps that I'm referring to cover your cheeks, not your forehead. They are listed in the info about the Swift FX and shown in their "Images" section for this mask, too.

I had to stop using any type of mask that touched the bridge of my nose due to the soreness I keep having with those masks. The Swift FX has been the best mask I've EVER had.

Unfortunately, doctors aren't able to keep up on all the info of all the masks available today, that's why it's often helpful to visit your medical equipment provider to have them advise you on all the available masks and which fit your face and lifestyle best. There's no way to know all that in your doctor's office.

Hope this helps,
Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 AM

I keep my CPAP on a tote by the bed. I think I would probably knock it off a night stand too-that's where I keep my glasses. Night stands are usually closer to the head of the bed so maybe it's too far up and should be moved more towards your shoulder than above your head. They take a little getting used to but once you do, you won't go to sleep without it. Keep working at it because it's important for your health. Good luck!! Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:37 PM

My husband has been on one for years. He thinks maybe it took him a month to get used to it. He got one for me because his snoring was so bad I could not sleep. He didn't take it on a road trip the first time and found he was really tired. Took it after that and felt fine. He puts his on the floor next to the bed and has no trouble. Some times the nose inserts apparently slip and I can hear him breathing (or not breathing). I touch him and tell him to fix it and everything is fine. He now has the B pap which is smaller and quieter than the C pap. Keep at it. You will feel much better once you get used to it.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:55 PM

I have been using one since June. When my throat gets sore, I turn up the warm on the machine and that usually takes care of that. There are cloth inserts to help cut down on air leaking and making noise. Ask the company that supplies your equipment.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Originally Posted by Gladys
Wow what great suggestions, I have the strap marks left on my cheeks too for a long time the next day. I will definitely visit the C-pap forum...It took me a long time to get used to it but it really helps.
I used to too, until I started using the Swift FX nasal pillow mask. It comes with a pair of nice soft fabric that covers the straps. Of course, us quilters could very well make our own. :thumbup: See the pic below.

You can read more about this mask here:

http://www.resmed.com/int/products/s...ml?nc=patients

Hope this helps,
i'm really surprised that neither my doctor and the resmed website have no info on this item. it looks like it would stop the bridge of my nose from hurting all the next day, but would it get rid of the red marks?
I use the pillows also and had no problem getting used to it. i am now uncomfortable without it
Old 10-06-2011, 09:58 PM

My sister just started using this machine.
She says it is rather weird having something attached to your face. But she said she has no choice but get used to it.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
My sister just started using this machine.
She says it is rather weird having something attached to your face. But she said she has no choice but get used to it.
I am in the same situation as your sister, had no choice, but it was not hard for me at all. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea a year ago, and can't sleep without the c pap. Wish I had done it sooner. Anyone who snores more than just a purr should probably talk to their Dr about the possibility of sleep apnea.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:35 PM
QM
Power Poster

DH and I are now using C-PAPs. It took me about 2 months to get sorta comfortable with mine. It took him about 5 minutes. Neither of us would want to try to sleep without one now. I've had mine for 3 years, he for one. HIS doc ordered a "nasal pillow". Mine made no special order. Since his came with several sizes of "pillows", I tried one of his for a nap and was sold on it. I went through 3 other devices that I was not very happy with. For me a part of the problem was the hose. I now have that comfortable for me. I sleep part of the night on my back (which I used to hate) and part on my side with my face at the very edge of the (regular) pillow. If it is not working right for you, insist that they try a different configuration. The bridle, or whatever they call it, makes a big difference to your comfort and is highly individual.

Be pushy and keep trying. Eventually, you will sleep really well.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by QM
For me a part of the problem was the hose. I now have that comfortable for me. I sleep part of the night on my back (which I used to hate) and part on my side with my face at the very edge of the (regular) pillow. If it is not working right for you, insist that they try a different configuration. The bridle, or whatever they call it, makes a big difference to your comfort and is highly individual.

Be pushy and keep trying. Eventually, you will sleep really well.
I too, am a CPAP user and am only familiar with one type of hose that I thought was standard. Could you tell me more about your different hose or point me in the direction of one so I could see just what you're referring to, please?

Thanks so much,