Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Calling all "ladies of a certain age" >
  • Calling all "ladies of a certain age"

• Calling all "ladies of a certain age"

Old 07-17-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I was having hot flashes pretty bad, I started drinking soy milk and taking a 400IU Vitamin E every day (in addition to already taking Black Cohosh, flax oil and ground flax seed). Well the hot flashes stopped!! I have my fingers crossed that it is not a temporary hormone fluctuation, but it has been over a month. It is so nice to sleep through the night again, esp. in this hot weather.

I am going to keep drinking the soy milk and will be looking for some soy flour as well my next grocery trip.
    I have been taking Vit. E (make sure it says "mixed tocopherols" on the label) for years for hot flashes. I was taking four 1,000 i.u. caps a day, but have gone down to one in the morning and one at night. I did not have to take all the other stuff- so I would suggest starting out with the E before eating all that soy. I hate the taste of soy flour and soy oil. I can tolerated soy milk but some of it is really high in calories and makes me gain weight.
    Old 07-17-2011, 06:45 PM

I take calcium and soy tablets once a day. Helps me a lot.
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:39 PM
    Power Poster

At 42, my doc says i'm in early menopause (since april). Black cohosh seems to help.
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:44 PM

Dear Kappy, I take synthroid too and if you have thyroid problems, DO NOT ingest extra soy. I have had these sweats too and they do pass in time. If yours are so severe or frequent, please discuss with doc.
    Old 07-17-2011, 07:48 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

knock on wood . . . cancer at 40. found it when they told me I was pregnant with my last daughter. so I told em after I had my punkin they could take out anything I didnt need. nearly 60 now and I have only had a handful of hot flashes. period. like I said. knock on wood
    Old 07-17-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by blossom808
    eat soy beans, they really help.
    I use soy milk. There is a natural plant hormone in soy that DOES help!
    Old 07-17-2011, 09:31 PM

My Aunt went thru a rough menopause and they put her on that Syntrhoid -well she looked like she was playing in the hose all the time She was having an adverse re-action to the meds She quit taking them and went to GNC and they were real helpful and she walked out with a couple bottles of minerals and vitamins The hot flashes calmed down the sweats went away completely and she was able to stay asleep all night and was back to her un-grouchy self in no time.I was lucky I got thru it with only few months of flashes and was completely thru at 37
    Old 07-17-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    if you have a thyroid condition, please consult your doctor before starting any regimen that is based on soy.

i recall reading something that said too much soy is not good in combination with a thyroid condition.

best to ask first.

I have hypothyroidism and yes, the first thing my Dr told me was NO soy products....it also reacts with Synthroid and other meds and stops them from working.
    Old 07-17-2011, 09:49 PM

Take the one a day for women tablets and also take
    200mg of vitamin E tablets twice a day. That is what I do and it seems to help with my sweating and hot flashes.
    Old 07-17-2011, 09:52 PM

Ladies please check with your doctor before trying anything, including "natural" stuff. Many foods contain estrogens, including many veggies, which can feed cancer. I am an ovarian cancer survivor. Was dx'd in 2009, had surgery & then chemo. I've also had thyroid disease since 1983. My doctors wanted me to avoid ALL food estrogens. It wasn't possible, as there wasn't much left for me to eat except junk food, which I won't do.

Most, if not all, HRT meds & OTC products contain plant estrogens.

Green Tea & Soy are 2 that contain allot of plant estrogens. You can have cancer growing for years & not know it, as many female cancers carry little or no symptoms until well advanced. Many breast & female cancers start during peri-menopause or soon after menopuase. Taking anything for hot flashes/night sweats can & will feed cancer. For me I sweat buckets, but choose not to feed the "beast". I wear summer t-tops year around. My winter coat is a fleece shirt, I use fans 24 x 7 and AC if it gets real hot. I eat cooler foods & drink allot of herbal teas & water. You learn to live with it if you have to. I'd rather sweat than have cancer!

If you chose to take any of those products then you should be tested for cancer & thyroid on a regular basis.