Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Calling all "ladies of a certain age" >
  • Calling all "ladies of a certain age"

• Calling all "ladies of a certain age"

Old 07-18-2011, 07:00 AM

My mother who is 82 sweats like that. She has been to the doctor but so far nothing has worked. I hope you find help somewhere.
    Old 07-18-2011, 07:05 AM

I went through menopause 19 yrs ago at age 50. I still get hot flashes nfrom time to time. Lots of my older friends say they never really go away.
    Old 07-18-2011, 07:43 AM

Take Vitex-it is a natural estrogen. Also, try Damania-it is great for the flashes and sweats!!!
    Old 07-18-2011, 07:45 AM

I started menopause when I was 45. Went into it prematurely due to some health issues. I am now 59 and still having night sweats and at time hot flashes. I have tried soy beans, black cohash and all the other recommendations but nothing ever helped. My doc would not give me HRT due to my family's heavy incidence of cancer. I was one who was always cold but since menopause I am "always" hot....so weird. When I asked my doc when it would all go away....she said probably never. My mom used to tell me that also....she was in her 80's and said she couldn't believe she still had hot flashes. Sometimes that just doesn't seem fair. I have so much to be thankful for though so I just muddle through the uncomfortable times.
    Old 07-18-2011, 07:45 AM
    Power Poster

If all else fails, low dose of HRT helped me so much. Been on it for years. I tried all the natural stuff and it didn't work for me.
    Old 07-18-2011, 07:46 AM

ok, my MIL told me this when I went thru it: at nite, if you get a flash in bed, take a leg, hang it over the edge of the bed at the knee and let it just dangle down. Dont know why this seems to help, I thought it had something to do with the blood rushing to the foot or something, but it did help. sharet
    Old 07-18-2011, 07:50 AM

I would keep going back to the doctor... been to an endocrinologist yet? ... I have had hot flashes for 10+ years (am now 63). In the beginning they came every 45 minutes... (face red, sweating, cold - the works)... doctor put me on HRT... I felt much better but two years later had breast cancer... surgery and more medication... no estrogen now so still have hot flashes but not as often and not as severe... hang in there... read what you can, see your doctor, keep breathing...
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by arimuse
    ok, my MIL told me this when I went thru it: at nite, if you get a flash in bed, take a leg, hang it over the edge of the bed at the knee and let it just dangle down. Dont know why this seems to help, I thought it had something to do with the blood rushing to the foot or something, but it did help. sharet
    when I was getting hot flashes at night, it was weird - I would wake up before the hot flash, with a weird feeling around my heart, then get the flash. If they come back I will try the leg thing.
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
    If you were here in Florida, I would suspect the weather had something to do with it, but probably not there! Check with your doctor.
    I was on a low dose hrt for many years because the doctor said the benefits for me far outweighed the risk. It helps protect your bone mass too. For me, with all the problems I have with my back it was great. I could sure tell a difference when I quit taking them. I wish I had never stopped!
    I'm with you on this one! :thumbup: I am on HRT and always say I will stop when I am laid to rest -- eventually. It has protected my bones and my skin and thank you God my personality too, I think.
    Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 AM

go to a health food store and get black cohash, also there are drinights sheets, they are pricey but you cannot sweat using them!! I bought them 6 or 7 years ago and they still work and are still perfect ! They use a material that wicks away moisture! Good Luck with this and no I would not use the hrt too many scary side effects