Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Calories in Gluten Free treats... Wow >
  • Calories in Gluten Free treats... Wow

• Calories in Gluten Free treats... Wow

Old 10-20-2013, 11:08 PM

Compare calories per ounce or per serving instead of per cup; the serving size is by ounces, not volume, and Grape Nuts is much denser. The sugars are much lower, too, though it is unfortunately NOT 100% whole grain. Cinnamon Toast Crunch, on the other hand, is virtually a candy bar in a cereal bowl....

Last edited by suzanprincess; 10-20-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    Old 10-21-2013, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Whole grains are not that great for your body to digest so I limit those to a few a week. Gluten free foods are great for those with severe wheat allergy but so many have jumped on the gluten free bandwagon, the products are getting infused with taste enhancers, sugars, and syrups, thus more artificial and processed. Many who have a discomfort from eating whole wheat may have gallbladder problems. The symptoms are usually the same. If you feel better not eating wheat, get your gallbladder checked before thinking giving up wheat is the cure. It's not for a gallbladder problem.

And unless you truly have a medical reason to go gluten free, you should not! Everything in moderation too. 3" cookie??? That is more like 2 servings in the real world but we don't set realistic portion sizes.

sandy
    Old 10-21-2013, 02:31 AM

SUGAR is the new poison. We, as a society, eat way too much sugar. Probably one reason so many people have to have their gall bladder removed. Too much fats too. We overload our bodies with crap food.

sandy
    Old 10-21-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by suzanprincess
    Compare calories per ounce or per serving instead of per cup; the serving size is by ounces, not volume, and Grape Nuts is much denser. The sugars are much lower, too, though it is unfortunately NOT 100% whole grain. Cinnamon Toast Crunch, on the other hand, is virtually a candy bar in a cereal bowl....
    I think I understand what you're saying, but the problem is that the manufacturers do not put calories per ounce on the box. They have it listed as calories per serving, and their serving sizes are 1/2 cup for GN and 3/4 cup for CTC. I measured out 1/2 cup of GN and 3/4 cup of CTC and weighed both on my scale, and they were both the same weight, which brings us back to square one of GN having more calories than CTC.

However. Further research has made your point, but in a different way. Calories are made up of many things - sugars, fats, carbs, and even fiber. So I looked at the fat and sugars content.

Grape Nuts has 5 g sugar and 44 total carbs, CTC has 10 g sugar and 24 total carbs. Grape Nuts has no sugar (or fructose or corn syrup) listed in the ingredients; CTC has sugar as its second ingredient, and further down I also found fructose and dextrose.

So you are correct about CTC being loaded with sugar.
    Old 10-21-2013, 09:43 AM

Sugar isn't a new poison, it's just much more available in foods that we commonly consume than it was when I was a kid.

Of course, my Mom didn't buy but one box of cookies every pay day (2 weeks between pay checks). There were 7 kids and 2 adults in the house, so the cookies didn't last long. We rarely had Kool-Ade or soda; plain tap water was the only drink in the house. Dessert was a treat reserved for Sundays and holidays. Occasionally, we had potato chips or pretzels, but with so many in the household, nobody ever got very much of it.

To sum it up, it's not so much that sugar is a new poison. It's really that we thoughtlessly consume too much of it everyday AND get very little exercise to work it off.
    Old 10-21-2013, 10:33 AM
    Power Poster

Grape nuts will stick with me longer than other cereals. Sugar is in my favorite foods. Love it. Not grossly over weight either. I find when I give up any food I start graving it. That is how you get into trouble.