Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Can anyone recommend an exercise dvd for >
  • Can anyone recommend an exercise dvd for

• Can anyone recommend an exercise dvd for

Old 01-24-2014, 07:36 AM
    Power Poster

When I am sitting in my recliner, I lift both legs up at one time and tighten my tummy muscles. that's the best sit up I can do.
    Old 01-24-2014, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ
    What about the walking videos by Leslie Sansone. It's all aerobic but you strengthen your core when you walk. She has lots of variety in length of workout.
    I am 75 and do Leslie Sansone. Only I don't have a dvd - I have a tape. I do the first one - it doesn't hurt you at all and you feel really good after and I also do the one with dumbbells. It's only elbow bending with them and I use a 3# dumbbell. When you exercise with Leslie, it is a mile walk and you don't even realize it. She is great!

Love her heart healthy exercises.

Edie
    Old 01-24-2014, 08:00 AM

warning: caps key not working
    try this. the good thing is you can take your time. when can not do what she is doing, just gently walk. this looks like just walking but your stomach and butt will tone up, so will arms. most important is you will improve your heart rate and lower your blood pressure. Read once the optimum time to exercise is close to six in the evening, not first thing upon waking as we all tend to do. My knees are of the achy sort so i use two exercise mats, long sides together for this walking, just the right amount of cusioning. also, for some strange reason no shoes takes less toll on my bones than a good walking shoe. go figure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykPr0t2KutY

i notice there are quilt alongs and stuff around here. anyone want to to a walk together? pick a time of day, check in say hi, congrats each other when done with the walk, and then we all get to go straight to the fabric for equal amount of time we walked???? maybe not a bad idea to include a walk in a block-a-day (well every other day). Or even a walk-n-quilt post where we post our quilts that were coordinated with a walking/exercise program. just brainstorming to get us off our butts and improving our hearts and blood pressure -- and provide more excuses to quilt!
    Old 01-24-2014, 08:43 AM

I have done some Zumba gold--for seniors--and enjoyed it--no floor exercises but the classes have disappeared and I have some dvd's I purchased at Walmart--I do what I can--the main point is to keep moving--sometimes that is just walking in circles for me. A lot of the exercises can be done sitting in a chair.
    Old 01-24-2014, 08:54 AM

There are lots of videos on U-tube--I found this one that I like-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2-B-BPmlPA
    Old 01-24-2014, 09:31 AM

I agree. Google Youtube. That's what I do and I save the ones I like to my computer. Yoga is good, so I search on Youtube for Yoga for stomach, yoga for weightloss, yoga for lowerback. You could search for yoga for knees and see what you get on Youtube.
    Old 01-24-2014, 01:05 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions, and especially for the advice to check Youtube. I was able to preview quite a few of the DVDs there.

These are the DVDs I ended up ordering from Amazon, as I think they will provide me with a range of workouts from relatively easy to relatively challenging (although the list below is probably in reverse of that order!):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Old 01-24-2014, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    PBS has a series called Sit and Be Fit that a nurse teaches. DVDs are available. It is very good.
    I was going to recomment these also - she is wonderful. You can find them on Amazon.
    Old 01-25-2014, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    There's some advantages to a PT, one that s/he can check your form, ensure you are getting a balanced workout to all body parts and the accountability helps make sure we do it!

No I am not a PT ... just know the merits, as I went that route because I decided if I was going to work out, I needed to make sure I got the most out of what I did. I was very firm up front that I was not willing to put big bucks out on equipment and that was no problem. I think the only thing I bought were a couple of resistance bands. Otherwise, we used what I already had. In working with her, I finally came to "like" the big ball, merely because I had never been taught "how" to use it properly. You can do your full routine with it, if you want!

Of course, it worked while I was doing it and had the accountability to the PT ..... then ........................
    I agree with Quilte. I go to the gym & from what I see, usually the most successful people have a PT. They show you the proper form, motivate you & get some of the direction from your needs & wants. If you can afford it, I think that's your best bet. I go to organized classes at my gym so we work out with other people under the direction of a trainer. It's more fun than working alone & will get you on the right track to fitness that suits your limitations. Check it out, you have nothing to lose.
    Old 01-25-2014, 05:18 AM

Have u ever watched "Dr. Oz"? He has sooo many exercises, remedies, etc. Look up his website….
    I also have bad knees. Have taken Glucosdmine Chondroition/MSM for yrs. I visited my DD & family in China in Nov 2012 & hope to go again this summer. If I hadn't been taking that, my left knee would have been a lot, lot worse. Now my right knee is bothering me.. Just keep on truckin'…...