Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Can anyone tell me about the numbers for a screening test for Down Syndrome >
  • Can anyone tell me about the numbers for a screening test for Down Syndrome

• Can anyone tell me about the numbers for a screening test for Down Syndrome

Old 12-21-2010, 10:55 AM

With my second pregnancy, the drs wanted to do lots of blood testing/screenings for all sorts of things. I refused them all b/c the baby was a gift from God and I wasn't going to have an abortion. Despite their very strong urgings, I didn't do any of the testing and she came out a beautiful, healthy baby girl. I refused b/c it had taken us 3 years to get pregnany with her and again I wasn't going to have an abortion. Blessings to you and your daughter.
    Chris
    Old 12-21-2010, 11:46 AM

Why are pregnant women going in for such a test? The baby will be the same whatever the results. Are the planning on aborting the baby if it might have Downs? I would never put myself through that trauma.
    Old 12-21-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by RevPam
    As the adopted Mom of a Down Syndrome child if the results prove positive the world has not come to an end. Nikki is the delight of my life! Although she is MR, she hugs and loves everyone and only wants to please. I have absolutely no regrets for making her a part of my life!
    At LAST! A voice of reason.
    Sometimes, just because they can do the tests doesn't mean that they know what they are talking about or that the tests need to be done. It seems to me that the world has not become a happier place because parents can have "designer" babies (or think they can). <wave>
    Old 12-21-2010, 06:06 PM

My second child was a Down Syndrom son what a joy- brought us so much fun,laughter and some tears. Worked a job in a department store for thirteen years, had such a wonderfull life it was life it was almost unreal. People loved Jim he was so kind and never met a stranger. When he was about 40 his memory began to fail and we things were not good. He had Alzheimers as we had seen a Dr. at KU who sees Downs with Alzeimers. Very very sad to see this illness in a person with a disability, but it is very common with Downs. It has taken such a toll on my husband and my self to see your child suffer and not know us but we did have so many good years we are thankfull for that, he went to live with us in Okanawia(sp)with us. Downs are so wonderful and so loving. thanks for listing emmy
    Old 12-21-2010, 06:35 PM

(((Emmy))) and the many who have spoken such tender words from their experiences.
    When humans come to understand, believe, and accept that life is a gift from God and sacred, no matter the limitations, our world will be a better place. <wave>
    Old 12-21-2010, 06:53 PM

I am the mother of a Downs child, Larry is 42 years old.....and he has shown us what real love is all about.

A VERY SPECIAL CHILD

A meeting was held quite far from earth, "It's time again for another birth" Said the angels from the Lord above, This special child will need much love."

His progress may seem very slow, accomplishments he may not show, And he may require extra care from folks he meets why down there.

He may not hear what others say: his thoughts may seem quite far away. In many ways he won't adapt and he'll be known as Handicapped.

So let's be careful where he's sent. We want his life to be content. Please Lord, find the parents who will do a special job for you.

They will not realize right away the leading role they're asked to play, but with this child sent from above, comes stronger faith and richer love.

And so they'll know the privilege given in caring for this gift from heaven, their precious charge so meek and mild, is Heaven's very special child.
    Old 12-21-2010, 07:55 PM

I have a Poem very similar to that by the album we have of Jim. Yes, when we had Jim we never thought twice about him being handicapped or anything he was Jim and that was that. He did most everything he wanted to do but drive. He rode the city bus to work and so many things- life was a joy, do not get me wrong- it had its ups and downs and pulls and tugs just like life with our daughter. After Jim was born we went to the Kennedy Retardation Center in Boston and saw a group of Med.people and they suggested we have genetic counselor(sp) to late at nite for me. So we did and we were advised not to have any more children as I was considered a chromosome carrier - maybe that was not the case but I said OK and Jim was such a great gentlemen we were do happy with him and his sister, life was great. hope this was not to much info for you all. enjoy your chilren no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! emmy
    Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 PM

I know people that had their doctors tell that their baby was going to have down's syndrome and it came out entirely healthy, i would not stress before you need to
    Old 12-21-2010, 09:06 PM

I am not sure why you would want a blood test to see if its Downs or not makes no sense to me - I also had other health problems - but it was not the Downs situation that stopped me. There was 7 years between our 2 children. I have no idea what the numbers aare for the sreening test.
    Old 12-21-2010, 11:36 PM

i know of a special needs teacher that found out she was going to have a down syndrome baby... God must of prepared her for her special needs baby. i have heard that both mother and child are doing wonderful and the rest of the family also. :-D