Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Can somebody help me with windows 8?  Can't find print >
  • Can somebody help me with windows 8? Can't find print

• Can somebody help me with windows 8? Can't find print

Old 11-12-2013, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj
    I also have windows 8 and HATE it!! Everything I want to do I have to go into programs, device, or setting, all I wanted to do was save on my flash drive and had to call windows 8 support 1-800-642-7676. Anyone know how to get 8 off my new laptop and put 7 on it?
    I have a Windows 8 also and I, also hate it. I don't like apps, they take up space. I can't figure anything out at all and what I did on my other computer I have to resort to writing it all down by hand in a bill paying book!!!!!! I have called the 1-800 number and end up in India and can't understand them anymore than I can understand the computer. There are no instruction books anymore, you have to download them and the price of ink is absolutely outrageous and you could use a whole $65.00 worth of ink to print up the book, which you don't understand because it is NOT written by Americans in America. I wonder if there is a true red white and blue computer with blow by blow instructions in this world. I have to grin and bear it. I don't like this stupid computer. I am not keen on laptops and mine is a desktop, doesn't matter. They are all made somewhere else and nothing relates to us. I got a Kindle not too long ago and I had to bring my computer in to have a program uploaded into the computer. I still don't understand it. All I wanted to do was put some audiobooks into the Kindle that I have and I don't know how to do it. No instructions with the Kindle either!!!!

It will cost you $100 and something to have a new program put in your computer and your local "I can fix your Windows 8" computer store can install it for you. There also is a an update that is free - it is called Windows 8.1. Well, it doesn't work in my computer, which is an HP. That is supposedly done right from your Windows 8 conputer.

I have to live with it because I can't afford a new one until hell freezes over. Too expensive, too many adjustments and I have this silly little thought that this is all pre-planned and another way to make money on the same computer you spend $800 for. No thank you. I'll just buy some more pens and do it the old fashioned way. Edie
    Old 11-12-2013, 04:32 AM

Can you take a computer class somewhere? Our Sr. Center offers free classes, our local library also. Several places around me that offer classes. As last resort, maybe hire a high school student to teach you...they catch on to new stuff while we are sleeping!
    Old 11-12-2013, 04:54 AM

I just purchased a new desktop and am about ready to throw it our the window. I really really hate Windows 8
    Old 11-12-2013, 04:55 AM

if you download ShellClassic http://www.classicshell.net/ its almost like Windows 7 again. Thank Goodness and its a free download.
    Old 11-12-2013, 05:43 AM

Thanks 4 ur help.
    Old 11-12-2013, 05:43 AM

There are Tuts on U Tube that you can watch and learn to use the W 8. I have it and actually am learning to use it quiet well.If We don't stay up on these things we are going to be so far behind we can't use them at all. I use the search to find most of what I want. You can also use the desktop and it works pretty much like W 7. Don't give up it will get easier.
    Old 11-12-2013, 05:46 AM
    QKO

I've had Windows 8 since it came out. I LOVE IT! It's A LOT faster, and basically just gives you more ways to do the same things. Once you find out how to do a few things that are different in Win 8, the rest of it is just like 7.

I just wish my older machines had the horsepower to run it, I'd convert them all to WIN 8.
    Old 11-12-2013, 07:34 AM

I have Windows 8 and I really haven't had that much trouble with it. I went from XP to Windows 8 so it was quite a change. I found that just by going to the desktop icon works pretty much the same as on XP. It's definitely different but nothing that can't be figured out.
    Old 11-12-2013, 07:42 AM

We also got a new computer since my laptop was acting up. But it has Windows 8 and we hate it! Of course I wind up on the old one. Glad to see others also having issues. Thanks for the suggestions & I think I'll look into doing some.
    Are there any particular videos on YouTube?
    Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 AM

I just bought a new computer, and the store told me that I can download windows 8.1 - and the screen will look just like windows 7. I'm moving and haven't been able to open the box yet, so I'm not sure how it will work - but I will also be looking for an alternative to Windows 8 - if the new download doesn't work.