can you paint on cement

Old 06-09-2013, 03:04 PM

Default can you paint on cement

I need help with a question. My neighbors bought a cement bench for the daughters of our neighbor that passed away. We would like to write something on the bench because we can't afford to have it engaved. Does anyone know what kind of paint if any can be used and can/should we seal the cement to make it last longer. It's going to be outside in the yard.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:29 PM
yel

they make paint and stain for concrete ....ask the pro at the home depot , lowes or menards they can point you in the right direction
Old 06-09-2013, 06:02 PM

thank you
Old 06-09-2013, 08:27 PM

http://www.decoart.com/cgi-bin/Products.cgi?Patio_Paint

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/paintconcretewallfl

Here are two suggestions. The second link shows how the cement should (must?) be sealed for permanency.
I love the idea of painting the bench.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:46 AM

Wonder if you could seal in a photo?
Old 06-11-2013, 04:28 AM

yes i just get the cement paint from our local lumber yard. it has held up very good.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:46 AM

I got my stain at Sherwin Williams. HC is the brand, but I'm sure other home stores carry it. I hand painted my whole driveway in a stone pattern to match my house...it's been on there for 12 years now, but it is starting to fade a bit. I do live in Florida where the sun beats it!
I'd say go for it, what a lovely thing to do
Old 06-12-2013, 02:18 PM

I work at Lowes in the Home Decor/Paint dept. Yes you can paint concrete if you use a high quality exterior paint. People use exterior paint to paint concrete or cement block foundations. You do not put any sealer on top of the paint. The paint is a sealer in its own. You can use concrete stain that soaks into the concrete to color it but will look different than if painted. You can still see the "concrete" instead of "paint". After it is completely dry you can seal it with concrete sealer either to look natural or glossy. When you notice water soaking into the concrete after 2-3 years depending on the brand you use you need to reseal it. You can get the stain in 10-12 colors. There is a chart to choose from. I just did a concrete patio using the Quickcrete stepping stone form and then stained it brown after it cured. I got 17 stepping stones out of 12 80# bags of concrete. I only have about 50 more bags to go.

If you want to make a plaque with info as to where it came from you can use a wood plaque from Hobby Lobby, then stain it and write your message on it with paint or marker then seal it both front and back with Spar Urathane or Spar Varnish. The Spar is made to hold up outside. Be sure to put several coats on. It also has UV protection to help prevent fading. It won't stop the fading completely but helps. You could mount the sign underneath the seat to protect it further. Use a urethane adhisive caulk

Last edited by craftygater; 06-12-2013 at 02:26 PM.