Cancer

Old 06-10-2011, 12:16 PM

As a hospice nurse, I see lots of cancers. It's a terrible disease, but what I notice most of all is the different side effects that people have, even with the same type of cancers. I've seen it linger for a few years in "terminal people", and take other folks within just a few weeks. There is no rule book.

I'd advise looking into Hospice for anyone who has cancer for the support that is given. My main focus is comfort and family support.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by quilterj
Can you find out that you have cancer through your bloodwork or when doing bloodwork do they have to be looking for it?
There is a CA-125 test but they wouldn't be doing that unless they were looking to see if the cancer was less or more. Also a PSA for men with prostate cancer. The most reliable test is not through blood, but with a PET scan. Even a CT or MRI helps. I wish I could tell you there is a one-style-fits-all test. :(
Old 06-10-2011, 12:19 PM

My mom was dianosed a week ago of liver, lung and lymph nodes cancer.She will probably only have a few weeks left here in this world. Chemo would only prolong the pain.She said she is ready to die. Her courage is remarkable. She has plnned her funeral with us kids in the past few days. It is the rest of us who are struggling.

I also know of a young woman who hurt her back at the fitness club. She went to the dr and theyfound stage 4 cancer. With agressive treatment nd suffering the side effects she only lasted about 15 months. She was 26.

such a horrible disease.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by loriea
My mom was dianosed a week ago of liver, lung and lymph nodes cancer.She will probably only have a few weeks left here in this world. Chemo would only prolong the pain.She said she is ready to die. Her courage is remarkable. She has plnned her funeral with us kids in the past few days. It is the rest of us who are struggling.

I also know of a young woman who hurt her back at the fitness club. She went to the dr and theyfound stage 4 cancer. With agressive treatment nd suffering the side effects she only lasted about 15 months. She was 26.

such a horrible disease.
Sorry to hear about those close to quilters who have to suffer. Again, please contact hospice for support!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:22 PM

Yes. Check out neuroblastoma. It's a cancer taking the lives of very very young children. It goes undetected until they are Stage 4.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:24 PM

such a horrible disease.
I'm very sorry to hear hear this. Praying for your mom and you and your siblings.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:23 PM

I am so sorry to hear all of these sad stories. My dad had bladder C but was C free after the bladder got removed. He died a year later from Myleodysplasic which for yrs the docs called "pre" leukemia. He couldn't fight the staph infection he picked up at the hospital with the MDS. Two of my brothers were diagnosed this past yr. Testicular and prostate but both are -Thank the good Lord- cancer free now so there are some good advances being made.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:36 PM

My mother was losing weight (about 1-2 lbs per month) for about a year. The dr. wanted her to have a colonoscopy, but she refused. In July 2001 she was diagnosed with Stave IV colon cancer and died in September. My brother was not feeling well and went to the emergency room. He was admitted and died 2 weeks later from stomach cancer. So yes, there may be signs that people ignore and it can be fatal.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
Bottom line...yes. Some cancers grow very quickly. Some cancers are very slow growing. Some people ignore the warning signs and by the time they go to the Dr. they are stage 4. Some people with stage 4 cancer can live years.

Cancer has no rules.

I am a 18 month survivor of breast cancer.
I agree. My fiance's Grandmother died of cancer. It started in her lungs and moved to her head. I tumor grew on her brain, but they couldn't get it all and she only lived a couple months after the surgery. Her health went from bad to very bad in a matter of a second it seemed.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:37 AM

such a horrible disease.
I am sorry to hear this too. I will be praying for your mom and family also.