Car shopping stinks!

Old 05-08-2010, 05:06 AM
Banned

Ummm Maryse, do you wear that avatar when you go car shopping?
Just about and thats just about how I feel when I walk onto a car lot......I already P'ed off before I go!!

:lol: :lol: And don't ever let them have your keys!!! I just about whooped a salesman A@@ one time because he wouldn't give my keys back when I wanted them!! My hubs knew I was getting very steamed so he just stepped back out of my way! :lol:
Old 05-08-2010, 05:52 AM

And I'm the opposite!!! I LOVE the challenge! If you get $3000.00 off on a $21,000. car, you got a good deal! My son is finance officer for car dealers....he's done this for 15 yrs. And yes, they seem sleazy, but remember, they're feeding a family, too. DO negotiate. Nothing irks me more than someone walking in and taking the first $$ they offer. There's ALWAYS room to negotiate. If you can, always buy toward the end of the month....they're hungrier then. And know this -- those long term warranties you pay extra for????????? The dealership gets 1/2 the price on those....I never buy them.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:20 AM

My favorite, favorite FAVORITE thing to do when car shopping is to go to a lot after they've closed, peek in the windows of cars "in my range" and then go home and look up the kelly blue book value. Then, when they try to start high w/the price, I already know what's the true value. In this economy, they probably want a commission. So, you'd think it would pay to be nice. And honest.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:20 AM

Do you have to have a brand NEW car? I've bought 1 brand new car, back in 1973, it was not my first car and turned out to be a lemon and haven't bought a new car since. I've always bought from a private party. With a brand new car, you'll have to pay higher insurance and registration fees also. If you're really tight on money, I, personally don't think a brand new car is the way to go, but only you know what you can or can't afford.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
Ummm Maryse, do you wear that avatar when you go car shopping?
Just about and thats just about how I feel when I walk onto a car lot......I already P'ed off before I go!!

:lol: :lol: And don't ever let them have your keys!!! I just about whooped a salesman A@@ one time because he wouldn't give my keys back when I wanted them!! My hubs knew I was getting very steamed so he just stepped back out of my way! :lol:
TOOK your KEYS???? OOOhhhh no-he-di-int! OMG, I'd be hurtin' someone. Why would he have your keys???
Old 05-08-2010, 06:25 AM

If you can, get your own financing before you go car shopping. Always make them pull you a Carfax and let them pay for it also. Never pay for a Carfax. Know what kind of vehicle you want and how much you are willing to pay for it....you'll know what you can afford if you can get your financing upfront.

Tell the car salesman that "this" is what you want and "this" is what you are willing to pay for it. Tell him/her that if they can't do this then don't waste your time because you sure don't want to waste theirs.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:49 AM

I like to car shop- I'm a good negotiator. I do my research, check out the financing, etc. so when I go in I say this is what I want, these are the options and this is what I will pay for it.

And I say- I am self employed and the longer you keep me here the less money I can make and more ticked off I will be. Let's skip the sales crap and talk deal. Scared the last guy- he had this look of shock on his face. Hubby thinks it's funny- I am tougher to get my dollar out of my hand when it's for a car.

I get a new car every 3 years. I am on the road all the time- need a dependable car and I want to be sure I won't get stuck somewhere in God's country. I bought my Jeep Compass in '08- a leftover so the price is right and negotiated them down so they were almost crying.

Now- my classic car- I paid the price the guy wanted because I researched and knew he was about 3K below what I could turn around and sell it for.

P.S. My family likes to take me car shopping. I must give the look of stupidity and then swing into action. It's a challenge- try to save as much money as possible!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

i was going to say just don't buy a toyota.
but with all their problems, i had a Ford Windstar van and the engine reved like crazy once and it took me a lot to push the brake enough to slow down, the engine still was reving (rpm's very high) even stopped at light.
it was a computer problem.which is exactly toyota's problem even though they wont' admit that.
all computer run cars scare me but what can you do?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

I hate car shopping, will drive one until it is completely worn out before going. LOL good luck!
Old 05-08-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by marsye
Originally Posted by ilovequilts
So this week my little old 89 honda broke down...car shopping sure is stinky when you HAVE to do it. I am so tired of looking, and tired of dealing with sleazy car sales men who won't leave you alone! I just wish magically some car would pop up and be a great deal and affordable and just wonderful because I am SO tired of looking for something. :( Just thought I'd vent...
When I go to a car lot knowing what I want and I don't deal well with salesman I just tell them up front I don't have time for BS so cut to the chase! They look at me like I'm godzilla and usually don't give me any crap. :lol: :lol:
Exactly what I do...I want this and this and this in my vehicle and I won't give you a penny over this certain price. If you don't have one with all at this at my price then I am out of here. They respond and don't bother me about looking at anything else instead. We do tons of research before going. Want only 4WD, no DVD player, want sunroof, tow pack with bumper hitch, etc
Check dealers ahead and see their inventory so you don't waste a trip there, too.