Cat litter training advice

Old 03-04-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stummel
Thanks for the replies! I did hear about feliway, and may try it, but she sleeps on the bed with us with the other cat and spends a lot of her time sleeping on our laps, so definitely no lack of cuddles.
She is also very curious and inquisitive all the time, and already bosses the older cat around a bit with enforced playtime, along with clawing the dog's paws (they have a strange paw tapping game with her under the couch and him in front of it), so she *seems* happy at least.
Next week we have a vet appointment for her second set of shots, so I will ask then. I'm not quite sure how to get a urine sample of her, I once had to get one of my dog, and that was difficult enough, lol!
She does use the litter to poop, so not sure if she dislikes the box or litter, she is in there every day and we clean it every day.

The problem is that the smell is terrible, adn I can't afford to buy new couches and mattresses to get rid of the smell, and not sure if the cleaners I used are effective in making it smell-neutral to cats. If she thinks that is her place to pee, I don't know what to do about it. Sigh.
After you determine its not any sort of medical problem I am willing to bet its a behavior problem. Cats are very territortial, some get over it some just don't. I am a huge cat lover and have had several rescue cats that did this and nothing I tried worked. I tried spraying the area w/ vinagar to deter them, worked for alittle while but most of the time they just found someplace else to go. I have a friend that has both a male & female approx 6 mths apart in age, they get along great so no issues there, they are now a couple yrs old, they both still pee every where. I love cats but .....after awhile if I have tried everything I just have to face the fact the cat isn't happy and that is their only way of telling us.
I sure hope someone has a magical answer for you, I know I have never found one.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:41 PM

Our older cat (he's 2 and a half) is male, the newbie is 5 months old and female, so still a bit young for neutering according to our vet. She will be neutered in a month or two.
We got her from a couple who couldn't look after her properly and were having their apartment renovated, and they said she sometimes had accidents, but generally used her litter box. And she does use it to pee sometimes and to poop always, so I was thinking she may be marking things. But why oh why on the couch and bed and clean laundry...
Old 03-04-2010, 04:44 PM

Too young?
Big Boy was fixed at 3 months old.
I know some vets want to wait til 6 month time frame, but you can always ask the vet.......
Old 03-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Oh man...I'm sorry this is happening to you. I have 4 in the house and of course 1 of them does that. I have never been able to stop it..I've tried the aluminum foil, plastic wrap, plastic bags, spray...and yet still. If I didn't love the darn thing sooo much, I'd kill that darn cat. :roll: ....The vet is your best source for information and advice I would think. Good Luck!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Banned

OK I'm going to throw my two cents in here, from a long time cat owner (or more appropriately, person owned by cats.)

First step should be the vet, just to clear up that there is no infection.

Then you're likely dealing with a behavior problem. It's been my experience that Feliway does actually work. It is also recommended to have one litterbox per cat PLUS ONE. I don't know why, exactly.

You are going to need to try to neutralize the spots she has peed on. We have used a product called Natures Miracle with fabulous results. The directions are a little daunting in that you are supposed to soak the area with Natures Miracle and let it dry, which could take several days depending on what has been peed on. The first day of treatment or so you can smell the pee even stronger, but then it starts to fade.

It stinks, but many cats have this behaviour problem. Hopefully it's just an infection and a few drugs will clear it up :)

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Too young?
Big Boy was fixed at 3 months old.
I know some vets want to wait til 6 month time frame, but you can always ask the vet.......
With our cat who died the vet refused to neuter her before 6 months, because especially female cats are sometimes not completely developed physically, so if they cut them open things aren't quite what they should be yet and they have to sew them up again, so now they apparently wait until 6 months. With male cats it's all on the outside and visible, so not that much of a big deal I guess.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
OK I'm going to throw my two cents in here, from a long time cat owner (or more appropriately, person owned by cats.)

Then you're likely dealing with a behavior problem. It's been my experience that Feliway does actually work. It is also recommended to have one litterbox per cat PLUS ONE. I don't know why, exactly.

You are going to need to try to neutralize the spots she has peed on. We have used a product called Natures Miracle with fabulous results. The directions are a little daunting in that you are supposed to soak the area with Natures Miracle and let it dry, which could take several days depending on what has been peed on. The first day of treatment or so you can smell the pee even stronger, but then it starts to fade.

It stinks, but many cats have this behaviour problem. Hopefully it's just an infection and a few drugs will clear it up :)

Good luck!
Thanks for the info!
We do have two litterboxes, and our older cat and his sister who died recently always used the same one, so we brought out a spare for the new cat.
The thing is, I was never a cat person until I met the first two and fell in love, but I don't know who spread the myth that cats are such clean animals...:lol:
Our dog hasn't given me a fraction of the cleaning grief the cats have, there's always furball sickness, pee or the occasional diarrhea to clean, nevermind the poop that gets stuck on their fur or the poopy pawprints if they have an upset stomach, walk through it and then all over the house. The one who passed away used to love peeing on plastic bags whenever there was one lying around. Never figured out why, but found one with urine on it days after she died.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stummel
Originally Posted by BKinCO

Good luck!
Thanks for the info!
We do have two litterboxes, and our older cat and his sister who died recently always used the same one, so we brought out a spare for the new cat.
The thing is, I was never a cat person until I met the first two and fell in love, but I don't know who spread the myth that cats are such clean animals...:lol:
Our dog hasn't given me a fraction of the cleaning grief the cats have, there's always furball sickness, pee or the occasional diarrhea to clean, nevermind the poop that gets stuck on their fur or the poopy pawprints if they have an upset stomach, walk through it and then all over the house. The one who passed away used to love peeing on plastic bags whenever there was one lying around. Never figured out why, but found one with urine on it days after she died.
Oh yeah, they are a serious pain in the butt sometimes but yet I still love them :)

I've had 5 cats (I'm only "allowed" 2 at a time by hubby :))...the first 2 for 16 years. They BOTH turned into serious walking pee problems....#3 cat didn't last long (long story) and we now have #4 and 5 who are 6 & 7 years old. The 7 year old will pee on absolutely any piece of cloth left on the floor, but her favorite is the pile of dirty clothes or bathmats. I give up! Apparently it's just a problem I'm going to have to live with til I find the miracle answer ;)
Old 03-04-2010, 05:16 PM

Haha, I only allow hubby 2 at a time. A few weeks ago when we were looking to rescue a kitten, I found our new cat Lily on the internet, and hubby found two tiny kittens. He actually wanted to adopt all three of them, but apart from the fact that we couldn't afford them all right now, I can't imagine the chaos! They were terribly cute though. I like older animals better because they are so much calmer. Nothing like being woken up at 3am by a kitten attacking your toes under the duvet and the constant sound of things crashing to the floor upstairs...
We also had just recovered from our older cat having diarrhea for nearly two months, and after various pricey tests it turned out he was allergic to his food! I had to bathe him two or three times daily and constantly clean the house.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:29 PM

First, I totally agree about Nature's Miracle. The stuff is awesome. It can be a bit pricey, but it is so worth it. Once, dh even used it in the carpet cleaner straight from the bottle. now that got to be expensive, but the carpet really needed it. We had a dog who marked everything..very gross! As for the cat, it probably is a behavioral issue. Definitely ask the vet, but I don't think that's the problem. I used to have a cat like that, but she only peed on dh's stuff. It started when we started dating and continued to the day she died. I don't know how you can stop it without really restricting where the cat can go. It's not fair to lock them in a room, but there really is nothing you can do otherwise. I hope the vet can give you some great ideas. Please share them with us when you do. I am interested in learning how to fix this.