Cat litter training advice

Old 03-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Too young?
Big Boy was fixed at 3 months old.
I know some vets want to wait til 6 month time frame, but you can always ask the vet.......
There is no minimal age to spay/neuter an animal. Check out this article. There is no compelling reason to wait for a certain age.

http://www.darlenearden.com/artclespay.htm
Old 03-04-2010, 08:00 PM

I have two cats and when they get mad at us, they will pee on things. I can wash my pillows, but I got a recipe for Stinky Pet off the internet for I think $3.00 and we use it all the time. It will take the smell out of anything, concrete, dirt and furniture. You just mix it up and saturate the furniture, stinks really really bad at first, but it really really works. We used it on the dirt and porch because I have a Bichon that goes out in the morning and can not get past the the porch. And it is really cheap to make.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stummel
Thanks for the replies! I did hear about feliway, and may try it, but she sleeps on the bed with us with the other cat and spends a lot of her time sleeping on our laps, so definitely no lack of cuddles.
She is also very curious and inquisitive all the time, and already bosses the older cat around a bit with enforced playtime, along with clawing the dog's paws (they have a strange paw tapping game with her under the couch and him in front of it), so she *seems* happy at least.
Next week we have a vet appointment for her second set of shots, so I will ask then. I'm not quite sure how to get a urine sample of her, I once had to get one of my dog, and that was difficult enough, lol!
She does use the litter to poop, so not sure if she dislikes the box or litter, she is in there every day and we clean it every day.

The problem is that the smell is terrible, adn I can't afford to buy new couches and mattresses to get rid of the smell, and not sure if the cleaners I used are effective in making it smell-neutral to cats. If she thinks that is her place to pee, I don't know what to do about it. Sigh.
There is a product that you can get in most pet supply stores called Simple Solutions. It is the best think that I have found to get the spot clean and erase the smell
Old 03-05-2010, 09:52 AM

So, just spoke to the vet nurse, and she recommended Feliway to rule out stress-related urination before our vet appointment tuesday. I found lots of online reviews raving about it, so am off to buy some. Will report back in a few days...
Old 03-05-2010, 04:39 PM

My female, 5 years old, has started pooping out side of her box. Sometimes right in front of it. I thought maybe she was constipated so I changed cat food brands and give her hairball treats almost every night. She is still pooping out of the box 90% of the time. Fortunatly is on tile floors, but the Emmy is only 5, I don't want to clean up her poop for the next 15 years. Reggie, her brother will eat vasoline and has no problems. I have to fight Emmy to eat vasoline or the hairball stuff in a tube. They each have their own liter boxes which are cleaned every day. Advice??????
Old 03-05-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
My female, 5 years old, has started pooping out side of her box. Sometimes right in front of it. I thought maybe she was constipated so I changed cat food brands and give her hairball treats almost every night. She is still pooping out of the box 90% of the time. Fortunatly is on tile floors, but the Emmy is only 5, I don't want to clean up her poop for the next 15 years. Reggie, her brother will eat vasoline and has no problems. I have to fight Emmy to eat vasoline or the hairball stuff in a tube. They each have their own liter boxes which are cleaned every day. Advice??????
Have her checked out by a vet first. She might be really mad about something, or maybe her vision isn't quite right.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by DebsShelties
Could be an infection or she is angry with you. Could also be the kind of litter you are using. Have you tried google - cat urination outside of litter box?
I have a feral kitten approx 7 months old now. She is a companion for my older cat. Her only bad habit is taking the paint off the walls with her claws.
Come May spay and declaw since she is an indoor cat.
If she is declawed she can never go outside. Have you investigated what they actually do when they declaw a cat? I amounts to an amputation of their "fingers". It's awful. Hopefully she will grow out of this mischief stage.

"Declawing is NOT Just Nail Trimming

Nor is declawing only the removal of a portion of a claw. Instead, it is the surgical amputation of the first joint of the cat's toes. Whether this procedure is accomplished with a scalpel, a guillotine-type cutter or a laser, it is major surgery, and not to be undertaken lightly."
I got this from this website : http://cats.about.com/od/declawing/tp/reasonsnot.htm
I understand that not everyone agrees with declawing. My other cat was done when I got her, she has no problems getting around, she has been an indoor cat for years. I would rather the kitten not claw things up even though she has places set up for her, she prefers things like my comforter etc.
She will be an inside cat as well.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
My older boy, Oreo, started that at about 12. Turned out that it was because my younger cat used to attack him when he came out of the box. He would pee in the box, that was quick, but poopies took too long and he would get ambushed. His solution was to poop outside the box where he could keep an eye on Tigg.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:54 PM

It sounds daunting to "collect a sample from a cat" but the wonderful gal at my Vets off ice gave me a "wonderful" solution...thoroughly clean a "pan" to use for the "litter"...for litter, use unpopped corn kernels...place the pan in a room, confining the cat, check often and when they "go" you have a clean sample, not absorbed by litter. Carefully pour in to a sterile container (I used baby food jar). Saved my Smitty's life (at age 3 and he's now 12) as he had urinary blockage and is now on special food.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stummel
We had two cats since they were 2 months old at the time and when we got them they were both litter trained by their mother cat, so we had no problems apart from the odd incident, which eventually stopped.
One of them sadly passed away recently, so we got a 5 month old kitten as a companion for our older cat.
She's been with us three weeks and is getting on well with the older cat and our dog by now. They all play and sleep together etc.
The problem is that she pees all over the place, and it isn't just accidents, it is deliberate peeing on the couches, the beds, the dog beds, just now she squatted on a pile of laundry I had on the couch for ironing and peed on there. She also goes in the laundry room and if there is any laundry on there waiting to be washed, she completely soaks it. I know she can use the litterbox, as she has never pooped anywhere but there, but don't understand what the peeing is about. We hardly ever catch her at it, and when I just saw her on the couch I rushed over to grqab her and put her in the litter bin, but she ran away and I had to chase her around the house in order to do that.
There is a litterbox upstairs, which is her's entirely, and there is also a bigger one downstairs that is also for the other cat.
Any ideas on how to deal with this? I am really tired of the constant laundry and always washing comforters, dog beds and the mattresses, which already have protective covers on them.
We have a cat that is picky about his litter... carpeting... furniture upholstery... He has always been this way! it's lessened as he has aged. Find a litter that the kitty likes... we use Tidy Cat clay litter... he likes that... we tried the crystal form... yeah never again!