Cat litter training advice

Old 03-06-2010, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

mrsdjt thanks for that little tidbit..I would have never thought of that. Hopefully I don't need it, but that will certainly help!
Old 03-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Many years ago we had to train one of our cats to stay off
a certain chair he sat on and clawed at while there. We had
to stick down a lot of double sticky tape, which cats don't like.

Took a long time and a lot of tape, but he finally did relocate
to another chair, which he did not shred.

Cats..who can tell about what they will do~~~~
Old 03-06-2010, 10:38 AM

So, we got the Feliway and I haven't noticed a huge difference in their behaviour, apart from the fact that they sleep a lot, but then they always slept a lot!
I also read that I should put aluminium foil down where the cat pees to deter her, which I did. Guess what... she first pulled it down in order to play with it and when I put it back she when to sleep on top of the foil!
A little later she peed on the dog bed in the same room we have the Feliway in.
Last night I showed her the big cat litter box by opening the flap and she ran straight in and did a #2, but no peeing there as far as I know.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
Many years ago we had to train one of our cats to stay off
a certain chair he sat on and clawed at while there. We had
to stick down a lot of double sticky tape, which cats don't like.

Took a long time and a lot of tape, but he finally did relocate
to another chair, which he did not shred.

Cats..who can tell about what they will do~~~~
We had two cats like that... when they were kittens we put tape on the counters to get them to stop going on them... They thought it was a game and loved it... needless to say, they didn't stay off the counters...
Old 03-06-2010, 03:11 PM

shes having a behavior problem something isnt suiting her and shes angry and fustrated over it this is her way of letting u know she wants it fixed but now u have to figure it out ...good luck on that...
Old 03-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

Oh yes...my cats all love the aluminum foil and plastic bags...it doesn't bother them at all! Even the tape doesn't bother them...they roll on it until it is covered with hair...then they ignore it.

I soo wish you luck in dealing with this!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:59 PM

Is "her" litter box a new one? I have heard that cats will not urinate in a litter box that is from some other cat. My daughter had this very problem and all she did was get a NEW litter box. Also, if you kitty does have an infection, she will not urinate in her box. This is how she tells you something is wrong. Hope you get your problem settled. I know it is hard to figure them out sometimes. :)
Old 03-07-2010, 02:34 AM
k3n
Power Poster

My first thought was that she's scent marking. I once had a neutered male who started doing this when we moved house but after a few weeks, he stopped. Maybe she'll stop as she settles down - I hope so.

I had a dog who was spayed at 6 months and before her first heat (at the behest of the RSPCA from where I got her) and for the rest of her life, she was mildly incontinent. My own vet (not the one who spayed her) said this incontinence COULD have been caused by the early spaying - I don't know if this can apply to cats too but maybe worth asking your vet's opinion.

With regards to declawing - I'm not making any personal judgements here, I know the attitude towards it is different in the USA but in the UK, most vets refuse to do it UNLESS for medical reasons. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A25953230 And I don't really think this kitty's claws are responsible for her scent marking. :-D
Old 03-07-2010, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
My first thought was that she's scent marking. I once had a neutered male who started doing this when we moved house but after a few weeks, he stopped. Maybe she'll stop as she settles down - I hope so.

I had a dog who was spayed at 6 months and before her first heat (at the behest of the RSPCA from where I got her) and for the rest of her life, she was mildly incontinent. My own vet (not the one who spayed her) said this incontinence COULD have been caused by the early spaying - I don't know if this can apply to cats too but maybe worth asking your vet's opinion.

With regards to declawing - I'm not making any personal judgements here, I know the attitude towards it is different in the USA but in the UK, most vets refuse to do it UNLESS for medical reasons. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A25953230 And I don't really think this kitty's claws are responsible for her scent marking. :-D
We had two of our cats declawed, but only due to them destroying our furniture and what not... but we haven't had a problem with any of our other cats. The only cat we had a back claw removed (and the doctors in the US don't like to do those) was my cat bram, he had gotten the claw caught in a blanket and pulled it... and it was infected so the vet removed it... bram died a month later, but it was due to something else entirely.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:02 AM

Good idea about her cat litter box not being new - it was only used very briefly when our other cats were kittens and we washed it thouroughly before she got to use it. Having said that, I have seen her use it and she has also used the main litter box our other cat uses. There was some urine in it this morning, but I don't know if it's her's or her brother's.

Good news is that yesterday she only peed a tiny bit in the dog bed and since then I haven't found any more urine anywhere. In the evening she snuggled up on the couch with the dog and other cat and my husband and got a good cleaning from the other cat, so they are getting along swimmingly at the moment. I also haven't found any more pee on our bed, even though she sleeps on it every night, so she may be getting better. Not sure if it's the Feliway or just getting used to her new home.

The vet mentioned making a date for her being neutered soon as she will be 6 months old in a few weeks. And we have never declawed any of our cats, I'd rather they scratch the furniture as long as they can defend themselves when they go outside and climb where they want to. We have blankets on all our sofas to protect them and none of our cats ever scratched wardrobes or tables or anything. When they go for the sofas we sometimes spray them with water from a tiny watergun and they stop. I hadn't actually really heard of declawing until now.