Cat litter training advice

Old 03-08-2010, 11:11 AM

Well, I spoke too early. :cry:
Last night she peed on the couch (again) in the room the Feliway is in, and when hubby went to bed she climbed up and peed on there. So we changed the sheets.
I was sewing late, and when I went to bed and was half asleep she came in, somehow peed on the bed under the covers and then sat on top of me and peed some more! :shock:
Today I opened the flap of the downstairs litter box and she went straight in and peed in there. I also thoroughly washed the smaller lidless box and will put it next to the big one.

I was wondering if she is maybe scared of the dog, as we played with a toy today, and when he came in she stopped playing. But they are always supervised when together, and she often attacks his tail or plays pawing games whilst she is under the couch with him sitting in front of the couch, all started by her. He is a gentle giant anyway, and she runs all over him, so I don't know. Vet appointment tomorrow, I'll see what he says. but the pile of laundry daily is getting ridiculous, and my hands are dry from the constant cleaning.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:00 PM

Is it possible she doesn't like the flap to the box? Twice now you have lifted the flap for her and she's gone in...Hopefully the presence of the lidless box will help. You may want to put box in the rooms she seems to really like peeing in.
It is also sounding more and more like it could still be a bladder infection, that's alot of pee for one little cat in an evening.
Here's a thought...does she drink more than normal? If yes, ask the vet to check her glucose...could be diabetic?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:16 PM

The lidless box has always been available to her, it was in her room and we left it there when she got the run of the whole house. She still goes in there to sleep on the radiator seat we got, and she went to pee in there when we first brought her home.
I will ask the vet about diabetes, although I really hope she's not ill the tiny thing. I'm not sure how much is normal for her to drink, but I'll get him to check it out.

Here she is before the peeing started.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1927[/ATTACH]

Helping to wash fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1933[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-1927.jpe   attachment-1933.jpe  
Old 03-08-2010, 12:22 PM

My Max did the peeing thing for a while,at least a month or two, finally figured out he didn't like the new litter or the new litter box. Went back to the old litter and took the lid off the new box, also but his old one back out, then he was fine. Haven't had a problem since. Took me forever to wean him off of two boxes....he used one to pee in and the other to poop in, crazy cat, how did he know????
Old 03-08-2010, 12:36 PM

I don't know if someone has mentioned this but the folks at the rescue group I work with said to put her in a separate room with the box and keep her there for at least a week. She will get used to her box and use it all the time. It sounds like she is making her territory (peeing on you). She wants you to know that you are "hers". I definately would make sure it isn't a bladder infection, however. I know from experience that even cats in cages will pee outside the box if they have an infection. If there is pain, they associate it with the box and refuse to go where it hurts. There is now an injection they give that last for 2 weeks. No more giving pills twice a day; thank goodness for modern vet medicine! I wish you lots of luck. Your little girl looks very much like my little Camille, one of my fosters that I ended up adopting. It's funny that someone mentioned that hers peed in one and pooped in another. Mine do the same thing when I leave two boxes out when we go away for the weekend. It's so funny. All my best to you and I hope something works.
Blessings,
Wendy B
Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

boy, i'd think of putting a diaper on her with a hole for her tail. i do hope you work things out soon. poor kitty and poor you.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

Oh geesh....I'm sorry...She sure is a cutie and I hope you find the answer...I just can't stand the smell of cat pee...drives me nuts! I'd be in real trouble as I have a tendancy to throw things away that the cat peed on. :evil:
Old 03-09-2010, 12:10 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Oh she's beautiful! Hopefully the vet can rule out any physical problems.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:29 AM

The first thing is to take her to the vet, a cat will pee else where because it associates the litter box with the pain of peeing when it has a UTI (urinary tract infection). It is more common in boys but girls can get it too.

Then maybe get another box and see if she will use it. Then try changing to adifferent litter. It will be a long process to figure out but the vet should be first.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:01 PM

Went to the vet today and he said it was very unlikely to be medical, but gave us a urine sampling kit anyway. He thinks it is behavioural and due to stress and gave me some websites to check out and some tips. The vet assistants there said it may even be hormonal as she is coming of age. She is being neutered in two weeks.
Last night I moved her litter downstairs, and lo and behold she has been using it to pee in several times today, and even went into the bigger litter box to pee earlier! She still peed on the couch a tiny bit this morning, but no big puddles/stains like before and nothing since then. I hadn't moved it earlier as I thought it would confuse her, but clearly she didn't like it in that room for some reason. So fingers crossed now! Thanks for all the great advice here, I thought I would go mad the last week, but there is light at the end of the tunnel and no laundry today :D