Cat Question

Old 12-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

My kitties have been very good about not tearing up my fabric, before or after use. I do not mind them sitting on my work.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Maribeth
Originally Posted by Lyn
I have two crack kitties. The owner got them hooked on crack before she went to jail. I nearly lost them but now they have adjusted and fit into the family. All of my pets have a story.
What is wrong with some people?? Why would you get an animal hooked on drugs??

You, btw, are a wonderful person. Thank you for giving those animals a loving home.
I agree, thank you for loving those babies. Some people should never be allowed to have an animal let alone kids.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:39 PM

I've always had cats and dogs in the house. Have never had them tear anything up. my one cat does like to attack the newspaper in the evening after I've read it, I lay it in the floor for him and he has a hey day with it. we took in a little dog that had eaten some friends of ours couch and chair. this little 8 lbs dog destroyed it. but we just loved him and I knew it was because they left him alone for long hrs. we took him in and in the 15 yrs that we had him, he never tore a thing up. he was loved and had lots of attention.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:41 AM

Hi I'm a little late replying to you but I also have two cats.
Smokey Joe who is 10 yrs old and Sloppy Joe who is 9
yrs old. They don't bother my curtains or bedskirts either.
I think they are too fat and lazy to bother. But......when I
am chrocheting, they sure like to go after the yarn!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:11 AM

Lyn, you are very special. I too have a 'foster failure' a little tortie from a litter I fostered back April thru June. She was the runt and I just fell in love with her. I fostered 18 kittens this past past year, including 4 that I got when they were less than 3 days old; my bottle babies. I'm babysitting one of them for the next several while her family is off skiing. They couldn't take her with them and she would have been down in the finished basement by herself with a neighbor coming in several times a day to play and check-in on her. I couldn't have that so I volunteered to take her. Her new family was VERY appreciative. She has been having lots of fun with my kitten since the other cat in her house is older and hisses at her whenever she wants to play. I didn't realize how much I missed her. You end up with such a special bond when you bottle feed a kitten.
My kitties don't seem to bother any of the quilts, except wanting to lay on them. It seems a small price to pay for the love they give me.
Bless all of you who care for others, be they animal or human. Have a great 2010 and may all furries find a forever home.
Wendy
Old 12-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Lyn

Thank you Sunkistmi for the work you do. I have taken in bottle babies before. They crash so fast. My cats could care less about my quilts until I start working on them and that is the time to go to sleep on them. I have never done a decent quilting job because I am trying to pull an extra ten to twenty pounds along with the quilt. :}
Old 12-31-2009, 09:58 AM

Lyn, I know what you mean. I have only volunteered for 3 years but had never lost a kitten. I had gotten my first 3 little ones (their mother had been killed by a pack of dogs) on a Wednesday in September and had taken them up to my sister's cottage since they were being fed every 3 hours. On Sunday before we left, my son called and said he had found a kitten in the bushes at a Kmart. He is a senior at Western Michigan U. My DH said we could do "a little detour" and pick up the kitten from David, it only meant a 2 hour longer drive for us. Bless my husband's heart. He met us about 20 min from K-zoo and gave us this little box with the smallest kitten I have ever seen. She didn't have the umbilical cord so she was over 3 days old but only 2 oz. She was very vocal and a real fighter. She started eating really well and was gaining weight but then after 9 days just quit eating. She died the next day in my hand, knowing she was loved and wanted instead of abandoned in a bush. I was heartbroken and couldn't figure out what I had done wrong. I now know I didn't do anything but sometime it just happens. I think she had been alone quite awhile, especially she was covered with bugs too. Two days later, I got the little one that I am now babysitting for. Looking at her playing here in the family room, I can't imagine if she was out in the cold nowfg. She probably would not have survived this long, even if the mother had come back for her. It's a good feeling to know that you have made a difference in a life, that all my babies are in their (hopefully) forever home. I wish we could get some of our older kitties adopted out and out of the cages. I know that there is a home for every one of them, their new owners just have to walk thru the door of the Luv-A-Pet center. Some of them aren't 'cute' anymore but a bit more stately. They are past that stage of climbing up the drapes, well most of them anyways. I always say when I leave, "I hope I never see you again". Unfortunately, two of them have been there since April. They were two of my older fosters. I seem to be the last chance for some of them to get socialized, sort of a Cat Whisperer. I had those guys for 2 months, just trying to get them to trust a human. They had been bad traps and were very afraid of people. I am convinced that the younger they can be fostered, the better, even if that means taking them away from the mom. All of these kittens have been from feral moms. It breaks my heart to keep going in and seeing the older ones there. I guess I just need to be more patient.
Take care everyone! Have a happy new year.
Wendy
Old 12-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

I used Soft Paws on my indoor cat. They are wonderful and saves the cat from having to be declawed which my vet will not do anymore just to keep a cat indoors. Soft paws do not hinder the cat from scratching but will not leave a mark or a tear from his claws. They come is pretty colors so it's like painting the cat's nails! One set will last my cat now about 4 months. When he was young he scratched and played more then now.

I brush my cat every other day using the Furminator. Best pet brush I have ever used. No shedding at all with regular use.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:32 PM

I have cats, but they are never on my quilts.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:50 PM

Hi BellaBoo, one of the prettiest little towns I have ever been in was Silom Springs, AR. Arkansas is a beautiful state.

Wendy