Cat Question

Old 12-31-2009, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Hi Wendy, Northern Arkansas is gorgeous! South AR is the Delta area, swampy, mostly cotton and rice fields, very uninteresting. I live on the outskirts of the Delta area. Nothing here at all but my DH's job! We plan on moving as soon as he retires to Northern parts.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:08 PM

Lyn, love your av. Anyone getting pets high makes my blood boil. It was really common to get cats and dogs stoned when I was a kid. Grr. Glad your crack babies found a good home.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Lyn

Originally Posted by sunkistmi
Lyn, I know what you mean. I have only volunteered for 3 years but had never lost a kitten. I had gotten my first 3 little ones (their mother had been killed by a pack of dogs) on a Wednesday in September and had taken them up to my sister's cottage since they were being fed every 3 hours. On Sunday before we left, my son called and said he had found a kitten in the bushes at a Kmart. He is a senior at Western Michigan U. My DH said we could do "a little detour" and pick up the kitten from David, it only meant a 2 hour longer drive for us. Bless my husband's heart. He met us about 20 min from K-zoo and gave us this little box with the smallest kitten I have ever seen. She didn't have the umbilical cord so she was over 3 days old but only 2 oz. She was very vocal and a real fighter. She started eating really well and was gaining weight but then after 9 days just quit eating. She died the next day in my hand, knowing she was loved and wanted instead of abandoned in a bush. I was heartbroken and couldn't figure out what I had done wrong. I now know I didn't do anything but sometime it just happens. I think she had been alone quite awhile, especially she was covered with bugs too. Two days later, I got the little one that I am now babysitting for. Looking at her playing here in the family room, I can't imagine if she was out in the cold nowfg. She probably would not have survived this long, even if the mother had come back for her. It's a good feeling to know that you have made a difference in a life, that all my babies are in their (hopefully) forever home. I wish we could get some of our older kitties adopted out and out of the cages. I know that there is a home for every one of them, their new owners just have to walk thru the door of the Luv-A-Pet center. Some of them aren't 'cute' anymore but a bit more stately. They are past that stage of climbing up the drapes, well most of them anyways. I always say when I leave, "I hope I never see you again". Unfortunately, two of them have been there since April. They were two of my older fosters. I seem to be the last chance for some of them to get socialized, sort of a Cat Whisperer. I had those guys for 2 months, just trying to get them to trust a human. They had been bad traps and were very afraid of people. I am convinced that the younger they can be fostered, the better, even if that means taking them away from the mom. All of these kittens have been from feral moms. It breaks my heart to keep going in and seeing the older ones there. I guess I just need to be more patient.
Take care everyone! Have a happy new year.
Wendy
You are doing a great job!!! It takes time but the older ones do go eventually. Most of mine were older. The kittens are adorable but there is something about an older cat that is beautiful and comforting.
Everyone drive carefully and have a Happy New Year! (I will probably be asleep by 10)
Old 12-31-2009, 01:17 PM
Lyn

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
Lyn, love your av. Anyone getting pets high makes my blood boil. It was really common to get cats and dogs stoned when I was a kid. Grr. Glad your crack babies found a good home.
No one saw my temper explode. Sort of like a small atomic bomb. They are the sweetest cats but everytime I go to pet them they squeeze their eyes shut and flatten on the floor. It will take a while to bring them totally around but I am working at it. My daughter has seen a big difference in them.