Celebrating Shelter Pets

Old 08-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Over the fory years of our marriage we have had the privilge of sharing our live with 12 dogs and 6 cats. All but 1 dog have been rescue fur babbies.currently we have 4 dogs...2 senior citizens (10 and 12 ) and 2 toddlers 3 years old each.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:13 AM

Bless you, Wendy. It's hard work. Not everyone can handle all that emotional upheaval. I used to do charity work but I'm disabled now and can only stand for minutes at a time. I give money instead.

I love black cats! I know they are supposed to be difficult to adopt out. I know of one shelter that has a shadow cat program. Buy one cat of any color and get a black cat free.

Also many kill shelters have several months when all cats are free due to overcrowding. Dogs are sometimes free, too. The kill shelter animals are inexpensive anyway.

I'm not advocating kill shelters over rescues. I just like to point out to people who've spent a grand on a puppy that they could have gotten one for $0-69. It's important to remember why the non-kill shelters and rescues are more expensive: they need the money! So, supporting them keeps the humane environment going.

I think Petsmart has to "destroy" (slightly) damaged goods. It's standard practice (I had to do that somewhere--it was actually a crime to take the damaged goods as an employee). Otherwise, they would be financially responsible for them. Maybe there's a way to create a write off program for damaged donation goods. They should look into it.

I was thinking about getting a ginger cat because my boy dog loves them. The most important thing is that the new cat is a singing, active senior. I need a playmate for my old vocal and playful Siamese Himalayan mix.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 AM

Are Yorkies hard to take care of? do they get a lot of ear infections? I think they are the cutest. Don't have any animals right now but sure do think about getting some
Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 AM

Super picture of your Boy! Randi is my second "pound pup", who we adopted to fill the void of Trudy after we put to sleep due to complications related to old age. She died peacefully in my arms. However, I swear she's around prompting Randi into mischief! Randi is the dog shown in my photo - she's far better looking!

Anyway, the point is, I urge folks to consider shelter pets as my two experiences have proven to be champs. Congratulations on your success story, may you have many more! Hugs and kisses to Claps with Hands. He's lucky he has you!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 AM

I can understand returned food because one never knows what might have been done to it but things that are damaged by the store employee is different. I have pulled out toys, beds, blankies, all thrown in there because they didn't sell on clearance. They used to just throw them in but now they destroy the stuff, i.e., rip holes in fabric, break the toys. I watched one guy stomp on a perfectly good small pet carrier that was missing 2 screws, I've replaced them with zip ties, in order to break it up. I cried. I have had to stuff several cats in a smaller carrier because I didn't have enough to give each one their own carrier. Sometimes they throw it away the day after the 'sell by date'. It's still good. Ooh, my blood pressure is headed up - deep breaths, in - out. Thanks for writing back and starting the thread. I'm going to try to post some pictures later but I've got to get off the computer and get some stuff done. Had steriod injections in base of both thumbs yesterday and they are VERY sore but got things to do. You have done lots of good for those who can't help themselves. Bless you.
Until they all have homes,
Wendy B
Old 08-04-2010, 10:34 AM

Yorkies yap. And yap. And yap. They are terribly cute however, and being terriers, will provide you hours of entertainment. And when confronted by bigger dogs, and they know they are little. Enjoy!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:47 AM

My avatar is my rescue baby. We found him in the middle of a country road, he was eaten up with ticks and fleas, weighed
4 lbs. and was so weak he couldn't stand up. We felt the vet might put him to sleep but he said he thought a little TLC
should work. He is a full golden, weighs 87 lbs. and is a royal dog. What is a royal dog you ask - well he lives in a 4,600 sq. ft. home with 2 servants.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:01 AM

HUGS AND MORE HUGS TO ALL OF THESE PREIOUS ANIMALS. HUGS AGAIN`~~`````````````````
Old 08-19-2010, 11:59 AM

I wanted to update those who had wondered what had happened to the kitty I was fostering that tested positive for feline leukemia. We finally found a shelter near us where Sedona has 14 other "brothers and sisters" just like her, all feline leukemia positive where she will live out the rest of her life, however long that may be, very happy. There were two doors where they could go outside to a secure area, lots of couches, hidey holes, kitty condo's and a walkway that goes up and down along all the walls. I expect to have some smells when we walked in but I could smell no urine or poop smells. The other volunteer and I were smiling so much when we left that our cheeks hurt! After 3 weeks, our only option had been to put her to sleep. She had been in my son's bedroom and he wanted to get back in it but didn't want to be the cause of her being put down. This place was an answer to prayer. Now however, I'm paranoid about getting any other babies and having them test positive. I'm getting 3 little 6 week old babies tonight. Please God, let them test negative. I've fostered 45 cats/kittens over the last 3 1/2 years and Sedona was the first one. May she be the last. Hope everyone is having a good summer. Our adoptions at the MARL Luv-A-Pet center have gone WAY down. Some of the older kitties I brought there in January. Now that we have kittens in there, everyone wants the "cute" little one and even then, we have gotten very few applications. Maybe it will pick up once school starts. I sure hope so.
Until they all have homes,
Wendy B
Old 08-19-2010, 12:06 PM

Wendy, I am so glad you found a place to put her. I couldn't find a place for my Hobo kitty so we had to put him down. But at least I know the years spent here were happy for him. He was well fed and spoiled as much as he would let me spoil him. I wish he would have chosen to be an inside kitty but it was his choice I tried for years to get him to stay inside.

Our adoptions are way down too. And we have more dogs in our system then ever before. Even puppies are going as fast as they use to
I do dogs but I know the cat people haven't been adopting out too many. Hopefully it will get better. And good luck with your new babies