Celebrating Shelter Pets

Old 08-03-2010, 02:15 AM

Oh that just pierces my heart!
Old 08-03-2010, 04:02 AM

We like to think we're doing all these animals a favor by adopting them, but in reality, they are doing us a favor by loving us unconditionally.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:09 AM

what precious photo of him too...very pretty. Is he sitting on a mirror, or a glass top table?
If we ever need to get another dog, it will be a rescue also. We have 2 wire fox terriers. They were not rescues though.

my bebe's Heidi and Socrates "Popeye"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90868[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90863.jpe  
Old 08-03-2010, 05:41 AM

My buddy Pete came from the shelter last December. He was found outside, sick with an upper respiratory infection. The kicker is that he's declawed - he had no way to defend himself. The shelter let him out in the cat room once, and he got whopped across the nose.

Whoever had him first must have loved him a lot, because he's the sweetest cat I've ever known, and a real glutton for affection. We adore him!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-90867.jpe  
Old 08-03-2010, 05:57 AM

We have 3 rescued dogs. Louie "Guard Dog" is a boston terrier mix who is now 12, we got him when he was about 1 l/2 and was a stray. He travels in our 18 wheeler around the country. Just start the truck and he's ready to go. Nellie is a rat terrier who was abused by her original owner and was taken from him by the man's sister. She was only 3 months old. She is now 9 and has a thyroid problem like her mon. We refer to her as Ms. Plus Size. She will eat everything.... Our third dog is a product of the economy downturn. She is Lexie a cross between an Akita and Border Collie. She is now 3. Her original owners found her at a humane society. They had her about a year and both of them lost their jobs and had a new baby to top the problem. We found her and took the other two to visit and we came home with her. We have a one acre fenced yard with a herd of squirrels. Lexie is in change of repelling all foreign squirrels. She is very successful...We did have to install a new doggie door as she weights 45 pounds. Louie of course is the King...just ask him. I hope that if there is a reincaration I come back as a dog in our family. My mon, and all my children have dogs or cats from the shelters.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:57 AM

My avatar is our newest rescue dog--Bella--a part black lab, part Border Collie. We got her in February from a local shelter when she was 9 months old. I have had two other rescue dogs that lived to be 14 years old--one a golden retriever and one a black lab mix. They have all been very wonderful and lovable dogs.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 AM

All my sweeties are rescue pets. I wouldn't have it anyother way. They need I love. 5 dog 3cat family
Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 AM

My Avatar is also a rescue. Her name is Sadie and we found each other June 12th of this year. Her owner left her in the streets when he moved out of state! She had a batch of kitties in someone's garage and a neighbor called the local Kitten/Cat Rescue here in West Los Angeles. They fostered her until she weaned her babies and then fixed her up with shots/spay etc. and I took her home from there. She is one wonderful kitty! We're like two peas in a pod, wherever I go she's right there beside me! I've always had rescues...thank God for the rescue organizations across the country.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:18 AM

All my dogs have been rescues except for one. I bought a Siberian Husky from a pet store and will never buy another one like that. He was a beautiful dog but pyscho. He bit everybody in the family but me. I didn't have the heart to put him down so we just kept a close eye on him when he was around his food. That was the only time he got aggressive. Guess he had to fight for food when he was a puppy.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:05 AM

We have a rescued doggie (paige) and two kitties - my latest rescue is squeeks - she was left in a dumpster and then adopted - was really sick and taken to pound and left. It took us three months to get her on her feet but she is a pretty baby who squeeks when she talks and chases shadows in the morning... fisher the other cat adopted was left to fend for himself when his family moved and he almost starved to death before the shelter caught him and brought him back from death door...I love rescued animals they seem to know that you love them and you will take good care of them...