Celebrating Shelter Pets

Old 08-03-2010, 10:20 AM

These are two of my rescue pets from the Pound. I lost Samantha last March and was devastated. She was 4.5 years old. Found Sweet Pea at the Pound and brought her home about 3 weeks ago.

Samantha (Sammy)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91096[/ATTACH]

Sweet Pea
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91097[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-91091.jpe   attachment-91092.jpe  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:24 AM

I had 4 dogs and 1 cat ... I now just have 4 dogs. All my animals are rescue. The cat ran away during a move and I spent hours trying to find her ... but alas I could not ... she thought she was a dog and I sure miss her ... she ruled the roost over my dogs and was the only cat my dogs ever tolerated!

[IMG]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t.../favorite3.jpg[/IMG]

My dog Raven (the rottweiler) we saved from being a puppy mill at 7 months old. My friend Jen gave her to me (she saved her from being a puppy mill and got her to us). The twins (Roxy and Max - Rott mix along with Chow we believe) were rescued at 2 weeks old and 6 months old respectively. Roxy and Max are brother and sister from the same liter. Roxy and Max's mother was an 11 year old Rott who was bred so that the owner could have pups from her before she passed away ... basically having the puppies killed her because the *blank blank blank* owner didn't have enough sense to take her to the vet. Three sets of folks in the owner's apartment complex took the puppies in since the owner was going to take them to the pound (without the mother) by which they would have put them down as they did NOT have the means to take care of puppies.

My friend took in 3 dogs, and we got Roxy from that batch ... my husband fed her from the bottle, but she ended up being my dog :D. Max's owner left him and his brother in an empty apartment for 3 days. Max survived, his brother did not. Jen took him in, but couldn't keep him, and my bro-in-law wanted Roxy (I said NO WAY BUDDY!), so we got Max for him. Lot of good that did as he couldn't take care of him, so we ended up with Max.

My niece and her fiance adopted Jasmine (lower right hand corner) ... a mix from the pound. They lived in an apartment, but couldn't devote time to her and the apartment complex told them they had to get rid of her she was too big (she weights about 30 lbs). So I ended up with Jasmine as I got attached during visits.

Raven's 11 years old (12 this coming Feb), Roxy and Max will be 10 years old at the end of August (to the best of our knowledge), and Jasmine is about 9.

If I didn't not have a dog today ... I would be on my way to a rescue/pound as I want the puppies that folks toss ... they just grab my heart in such a way ... that it's a bond that can't be explained!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
Joey, and Chloe didn't come from the shelter, they are from a research lab. A lady we know brings them out 5 at a time. Chloe was in some sort of study for breast cancer, and diabetes, and Joey wasn't tested on, but was used for stud. Beagles are most commonly used because of their wonderful temperament.

Research dogs are special. They have to learn how to be dogs and live in a home. They know nothing but kennel and cage like environments. Both have had their throats scratched to keep the barking down. They have numbers tattooed on their ears. They are such sweet loving dogs who can't get enough affection. We have adopted four of these dogs over the years.
[IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...oeandchloe.jpg[/IMG]
Our beloved Brody, gone now, also a beagle,was breed for show, but didn't make the grade. If we hadn't adopted him they were going to put him down.

Brody's final year-he was a great old boy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91217[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-91212.jpe  
Old 08-03-2010, 02:43 PM

This is my Gussi.
She was put out on my street when she was fist sized.
She was 7 the middle of July.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-91146.jpe   attachment-91147.jpe  
Old 08-03-2010, 02:46 PM

This is my Gussi.
She was put out on my street when she was fist sized.
She was 7 the middle of July this year.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-91221.jpe   attachment-91222.jpe  
Old 08-03-2010, 03:34 PM

2 of my cats are from breeders. 3rd one is from our local
shelter. My sister runs a no kill cat shelter and some of
the stories she tells me makes me cry. I visit her once a
year and help at the shelter (she says my job is to give them
lovin (hubbys job is cleaning litter boxes) and I get
literally covered in cats and kittens. Love them all.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

I am so happy for all of these rescue pets. They have found wonderful loving homes with you all.

Here's my new loves (kittens) I rescued 3 weeks ago. They are all such lovers!

Tigger
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91238[/ATTACH]

Romeo
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91239[/ATTACH]

Daisy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91240[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-91233.jpe   attachment-91234.jpe   attachment-91235.jpe  
Old 08-03-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie
Share your shelter or rescue pets!

My 5 lb boy dog is celebrating the second anniversary of his "Alive Day." The shelter tried to talk me out of it due to his many health problems. Turns out he didn't have any of them. He does have one they failed to list: deafness. He thinks his name is Two Hands Clapping.

Now, I'm in the market for a pound kitty.

Edit: Eek! I posted the big pic. Sorry. :0/
What a Cutie!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 08-03-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by HeatherQuilts
Both of my cats are rescues. Trouble (the gray one) is 6 years old, and Rebel (a.k.a. Fat Boy :lol: ) is 5 years old. We got both of them as kittens.
We'll get a dog someday, and plan to also get a rescue.
Thanks for starting this thread. :D
AWWWW they are Beautiful and really good picture!!! :XD: :mrgreen:
Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by MegsAnn
We adopted 2 of our kitties from the shelter as kittens. The 3rd was headed to the shelter if the owner couldn't find a home... so I guess I can count that as a rescue, too. Love love love all three of them: Milo, Velcro, and Loki.

Oh, we adopted Velcro's brother, Amos, too... but he was a very sick kitten and died a week after we brought him home. That was a sad time.
Awww I am so sorry for your loss that is very sad! :cry: :-( :thumbdown: But Iam glad you have the others and I love their names!!! :mrgreen: