Celebrating Shelter Pets

Old 08-03-2010, 04:31 PM

I really have to commend you all for adopting your animals. It is truly a wonderful thing to do. I have posted pics of our rescues on a previous pet thread and they are the loves of my life. I have also had 4 adopted racing greyhounds and last year we adopted Journee, the Great Dane in my Avatar. She is a wonderful addition to our home of 6 adopted pets!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by SulaBug
OH!! :D I just have to show you my new rescue baby girl!! :D We adopted her on July 22nd from the Animal Shelter. After getting her home, she came down with a sever case of puppy Kennel Cough. So, off to the Vet's we went & she is being treated for it now. Today she is much better & we have just fallen head over heals in "LOVE" with her!! Her name is Rose & she weigh's in at a whopping 6 lbs. Enjoy!!
:D :D :D :D
Hey SulaBug, What a little sweetie you have!! She so cute!! :mrgreen: :-D :P
Old 08-03-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by canmitch1971
One of my cats is from the Humane Society. The other 2 I rescued from my daughter`s farm. When they moved in there were a whole slew of adult cats and sickly kittens. I took two of the kittens to the vet`s and started feeding them a really good cat food. The poor things were starving.
God bless you!!! I hope the kittens are doing well now!! ;) ;) :mrgreen:
Old 08-03-2010, 04:42 PM

Awwww, Puck. I love Brody ;-) So sweet.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
My avatar, Chloe is a shelter rescue. She doesn't like other cats and the shelter had so many cats and kittens that she was getting stressed just being near them. There was no place to put her or any other cat who hated other cats off by themselves. She wouldn't eat much, and just was stressed when I got her. But she held on to me when I held her and she purrred in my ear. She rolled on her back in the cage and looked at me. The woman working that day said she had never seen her do that to anyone before. OK, maybe she was telling a story to get me to adopt her. Well, I only went to look. Chloe was the second cage I looked in in the lobby of the shelter. I never made it into the two "cat" rooms! She was soo tiny and skinny. I didn't want another long hair cat. But sometimes the universe surprises us and we get what we need instead. She needed peace and quiet without other cats, and I needed a cat to love after my beloved Sasha passed away. I think we both got what we wanted. A sweeter cat I have never met. And she is a people cat, too. My first two cats were not, skittish and would not come out when people visited. But Chloe, once eating properly, filled out, her coat is beautiful, and she greets everyone who comes to the house. She is my little sweetie.
She is Very Beautiful and I love the name Chloe!!! My DD had a white bunny a few years ago named Chloe without the "h". We had to take her to the Humaine Society because we were moving into an apartment that would let us have any pets. I hope she found a wonerful home like your Chloe Surely has!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 08-03-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
My avatar is our rescue - spoiled boy Hero. We have had a total of 5 rescue dogs and 2 rescue cats (either from a shelter or showing up on our doorstep). Here is a pic of "Hero the dog" as my DH likes to call him. He even got him a tag for his collar that says that ;)
OH Nursie 76, They are just Beautiful!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumbup:
Old 08-03-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by emt2004
My two rescues "Yorkies", Love them to bits......Michele
They are so cute!!! I alway wanted Yorkies!!! :mrgreen: :-P :thumbup: :XD:
Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by vjengels
I adopted Calico in 2001; race name 'Calicos basket' , she was too timid to run with the other greys.... with out an adoption program she would've been put down for sure.
I had another big beautiful red male; named Nickys Clump.He was a retired champion, unfortunately he got cancer and passed away 3 years ago.. that broke my heart. Every animal I've ever had was a 'foundling' or a shelter animal.My babies over the past 40+ years- Snoogy, Trigger, Biff, Felica, Lady, Bandit, Blackie, Prince, Toby, Charlie,Marco, Ginger, and Inky.
OMG!!! She is SOoooo Beautiful!!! Where is the adopton for these dogs? Do you know the cost of one? We can't have a dog yet but I have alway wanted to have Grayhound!! Maybe some day!! :thumbup: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 08-03-2010, 04:58 PM

For many years we took in rescue Dobermans. "Just until
we find a good home for them" we were told, but of course
we fell in love with each and every one of them. First came
dear old Kurt, the best dog who ever lived, and we had fun
with our vet when we boarded them on vacations. We had
each Doberman live in the cage with his/her own cat, which really did freak out our vet. He made me put each cat with his dog, and stood there shaking his head. Kurt stayed with Zabo, the jet black half Siamese, Hilda, our perfect Doberman with the
soul of a blonde (kinda dim witted) always stayed with Warlock,
who hated Zabo!! And there were other Dobies, now all I have
are two rescue cats, one dumped as a tiny baby and the other,
a lovely white long haired persian found in a driving rain storm
in Killeen, Tex by my daughter who had too many rescue dogs
of her own. So Fredrica came to CA on the plane to live with
me and Koko, the half Siamese.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by SulaBug
OH!! :D I just have to show you my new rescue baby girl!! :D We adopted her on July 22nd from the Animal Shelter. After getting her home, she came down with a sever case of puppy Kennel Cough. So, off to the Vet's we went & she is being treated for it now. Today she is much better & we have just fallen head over heals in "LOVE" with her!! Her name is Rose & she weigh's in at a whopping 6 lbs. Enjoy!!
:D :D :D :D
Your puppy has the most expressive eyes!!

My Rudy (avatar) is a rescue from Puerto Rico, courtesy of a local MA shelter that rescues dogs & cats from kill shelters in the islands. I went looking for a kitten and he chose me.

Baby Peeps would have been dead if I hadn't taken her when I did, from a neighbor's boyfriend. She was loaded with fleas and the vet said she'd have died in the next day or two. I get the chills thinking about it.

Squeaker is from my sister's cat, born on my birthday, so she had to be mine. I hate to say it but cats only live a couple of years at my sister's due to fisher cats and coyotes. So glad I could have Squeaky!

And, finally, my rescue cat off the street. I knew about her for a couple of years but thought my neighbor was feeding her. Not really. When I saw she was starving and winter was coming on, I said "not on my watch" and snatched up, brought her to the vet for testing, and she's turned into a real cuddler.
They are all so sweet and beautiful!! I am almost in tears reading everyone's post!! :mrgreen: :cry: :cry: :thumbup: