Celebrating Shelter Pets

Old 08-03-2010, 10:54 PM

A few years ago a Saluki was found in the desert. A leg had been chopped off. This is not a sad story but has a happy ending. She had a prosthetic leg fitted and is now one happy camper. See her story on this link: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/fami...90/detail.html

Also recently Animal Friends of Kuwait had a devasting fire at the shelter and a number of dogs and cats were killed. Many survived and found homes locally but 27 dogs were shipped to a Washington DC shelter. All have new homes. How cool is that!!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 04:03 AM

Yeti looks so content among your scraps - doesn't take much to make them happy, does it?
Old 08-04-2010, 04:28 AM

This is the only rescue I have right now; but in the past, I have always gotten rescue. Buddi (aka BooBoo)was in a puppy mill and had been bred every 6 months. She was 6 months and the last litter was 1 still born. In other words, she was a throw-away girl. The mill was going to put her down. So, on June 15, 2009 I made a long drive to SW Wisconsin. She was there, very timid and had never been on grass since she was born there. When I finally got her out of her small cage, snuggled her and talked to her she relaxed and pressed her head against my chest. That was all it took. We went immediately to the Vet. She had very brown teeth, a tumor on her tail and of course I did not want to ever put her through giving birth again. She had all 3 surgeries at one time. Saved her teeth and kept her tail. She is a Yorkie-Poo, my little girl. We are one. It took her 9 months to let my husband pick her up, but now she knows he's not such a bad guy. When sewing, she has her own little bed. When sitting here at the computer she also has a bed. Otherwise she is on my lap or under the snack bar when I am in the kitchen. She gives me kisses when asked and many times kisses my legs when not ask. When I hold her up like a baby and someone comes near, she sticks her little front paw out and pushes them away. She is exactly what we both needed.

BooBoo
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91509[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-91504.jpe  
Old 08-04-2010, 05:05 AM

I can't tell you how happy this thread makes me. I love seeing all the rescued animals. All of ours are rescues.
Spike 20lb cat- and Ophelia 8lb cat are both from Rescue Cats
Greta Chow/shephard mix- Atlanta Humane Society
Ramone aka Moe is from a bar daughters fiance brought him home thinking he was a Rottie. all black with brown spots over the eyes. Boy left, dog stayed. Boy came back to get dog, Moe stood in front of daughter and growled. 7 yrs later dog is still here.
Andy - Lhasa Apso-failed foster. Not quite sure how it happened but he just stayed.
Those are ours. I now have 4 foster puppies had 6 but 2 got adopted. Joy a doxie mix, Penelope a hound mix, Both went home last week. I know have 4 heinz 57 dogs from one litter. They have a URI and sarcoptic mange but we are working on that. I have been fostering for 6 years now and can't think of anything else I would rather do with my time. Only 2 others would have stayed if I had the room Tucker one of my first Very shy would pee on my foot if other people came around and Rosa , the most awesome unchihuahua like chihuahua, I or anyone else ever met.
Thanks to everyone that that adopts. We really love you all.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ms. Shawn
Originally Posted by vjengels
I adopted Calico in 2001; race name 'Calicos basket' , she was too timid to run with the other greys.... with out an adoption program she would've been put down for sure.
I had another big beautiful red male; named Nickys Clump.He was a retired champion, unfortunately he got cancer and passed away 3 years ago.. that broke my heart. Every animal I've ever had was a 'foundling' or a shelter animal.My babies over the past 40+ years- Snoogy, Trigger, Biff, Felica, Lady, Bandit, Blackie, Prince, Toby, Charlie,Marco, Ginger, and Inky.
OMG!!! She is SOoooo Beautiful!!! Where is the adopton for these dogs? Do you know the cost of one? We can't have a dog yet but I have alway wanted to have Grayhound!! Maybe some day!! :thumbup: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Greys can be adopted through any greyhound rescue group. Check with Greyhound Pets of America online to see if there are any around you. I know there are several in the area. Cost to adopt is about $250-300. That covers spaying/neutering and several other things plus you have a beautiful rescued greyhound.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:10 AM

Just breaks my heart to hear about the puppy mills and throw away dogs! :-( I know what I'd like to throw away -- the monsters who run these mills!!

Plus, how many times do we hear (or are owned by) a pet who will only bond with one person at a time? Especially what some of them have been through! Everyone of my furry ones know they're loved and, I am so happy I had the ability to bring them home. :-)
Old 08-04-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by sharone
I have two shelter pets that were rescued from the streets of Kuwait: On the left is Bella and on the right is Rosie. Two very special girls.
They're so cute together! Congrats.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by sharone
A few years ago a Saluki was found in the desert. A leg had been chopped off. This is not a sad story but has a happy ending. She had a prosthetic leg fitted and is now one happy camper. See her story on this link: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/fami...90/detail.html

Also recently Animal Friends of Kuwait had a devasting fire at the shelter and a number of dogs and cats were killed. Many survived and found homes locally but 27 dogs were shipped to a Washington DC shelter. All have new homes. How cool is that!!!!
Sally is gorgeous. Any update on her story? I'll go do a search. Edit: brief youtube video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7EwLPl9PZ0 And, a follow up article from 2008 has her doing fine on a walk with her owner. So cute. Love Salukis.

We had many animals die in a shelter fire, too. Glad so many Kuwaiti dogs found homes in the states.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:02 AM

Pookie Ookie, I know of several wonderful mature kitties, all of them are under 3, one is 5 that have been in our love a pet center here in MI for 6-8 months. Some were at the main shelter for some time before I brought them to our center. One is getting so stressed out that she is losing her hair. We have 6 all black kitties, 4 are kittens under 4 months old, 4 black & white, 1 grey & white and 1 maine coon mix. Two siblings, Pierre and Champane are the most beautiful kitties and so very loving. Baby, one of the most inept namings I have seen, is very sweet also but is getting really tired of being in the cage. All three are longer haired cats but I have found they shed less that the short hair one sitting on my lap as I type. We volunteers go in every day and let them all out so they can socialize and play. I have a hard time making them go back in so I'm there for 4-5 hours. I just took my last batch of 5 fosters up there and 3 have been adopted already. That is always the worst because I get so attached; I walk out of the store sobbing after putting them in the cages. Bella came to me on Easter Sunday after her mother was run over while moving one of the other siblings to a new nest. She had been left in the original nest and was about 5 days old. It was lucky someone heard her crying. She was unusual because she was all orange and 98% of orange cats are males. The other 4 were found on some patio furniture under the cover and were 2 days old when I got the call to pick them up at 12:10am. Luckly, the mother was trapped the next day so I didn't have to bottle feed all of them like I did Bella. Now I only have one foster left and we are waiting to get the results back from a specialized blood test to confirm if she has FIV. If she does, she will have to be put down. I just keep praying that she was just exposed and doesn't actually have the disease. If there is just exposure, she can be adopted. We should know by Friday.
There is such joy in helping them and many days, when I feel really rotten or am hurting bad, taking care of them makes me get up and move when I don't want to. I also make the kitty quilts for the cages and so many members of the board have contributed scraps, batting & fabric to help me complete them. I have made 52 so far this year.
My own 3 kitties are all shelter kitties, Cinder(ella), Emily and Camille. Camille was from a litter I fostered last year. In fact, Bella, my little orange one, was from the same momma, the one that was hit by the car. They had such fun playing together and Camille has still been walking aroung calling for her, after almost 2 weeks. They had tried to trap the momma for 4 years to fix her but she was so clever. I fostered 5 of her litters, usually one in the spring and one closer to fall.
We all need to support the no-kill shelters because they do so much with so little. I dumpster dive behind our local PetSmart because they throw away SO much stuff. If they damage a bag while opening the pallet, it gets thrown away. If an item is returned and is open or not salable, it's thrown away. Once I pulled out 32 collars, leashes and harnesses that had been clearanced out but didn't sell so in the dumpster they went. It is absolutely crazy! I get physically ill when I see everything that is discarded. It just doesn't make sense. I know PetSmart does quite a bit with charities for pets and Purina is donating all the food and litter for the adoption center but why do they have to throw away the other stuff? I go thru tons of litter and I certainly don't care if the box or container has been opened or returned. I don't know about other volunteers but we buy everything we use when fostering ourselves then itemized it on our taxes but you can only do that if the organization you help with is registered as a 501C3 non-profit corp. Again, please don't think I'm complaining because I really do love every minute of the time I spend with my "babies", with a few exceptions (litter boxes, poopy butts, feet, etc).
Everyone's pictures are so wonderful. Thank you for posting them and sharing them with us. God bless each and every one of you for whatever part, large or small, that you play in helping these helpless furbabies. I feel so blessed to have them in my life, whether it's for their whole life or only until they are ready to find their forever home. Keep up the good work.
Until they all have homes,
Wendy B
Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 AM

No photo but my Mother rescued a little fellow. Really I guessI don't know who rescued who. He kept jumping in her lap and she'd put him down (trying to get a good look at him) and he seemed to be on springs right back to her. (she lived with us)
She passed away 4 years ago and he is now my baby. Oh we are so close. He loves my husband but I am his Mama. We each have our jobs with him and he knows who to go to for what. He is so spoiled but oh such a love. What a wonderful love we rescued.