Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Cell phone or Land line...or both? >
  • Cell phone or Land line...or both?

• Cell phone or Land line...or both?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:03 PM
    Power Poster

we have both.
    one line for land line phone and internet.
    Hubby is on dd cell circle thingy, so he can talk a lot.
    Mine is prepaid so I can only talk very little. I keep it for emergencies.
    I like having everything in one place, such as one bill for land phone and satellite...but, sometimes it's better to have different things.
    We have a gas stove. When electricity goes out, which is often in the summer, stove is gas and we can still cook or finish cooking.
    Have oil lamps too. sometimes when lights go out, we eat by oil light. only time dinner is romantic :wink:
    Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 PM

I got rid of my landline a couple of years ago - seemed like I was only getting marketing calls on it (and yes, I did sign up on the no-marketing calls website). Haven't missed it yet. The cell phone seems to fit my needs - but I don't talk on the phone much.
    Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 PM

We have both. Land line has the internet but rarely used as a phone. Cell works well when down in town or on trips. Service is not strong enough here at the house to be reliable for emergencies. If it worked better, I would have cell only and figure out how else we could get the internet.
    Old 01-12-2010, 07:55 PM
    Banned

We have a land line, Cable for the internet, satellite for the TV's, and one cell phone that my wife and I share. But the land line will be gone in a few days since my wife changed cell plans and we are going to share the minutes so I will get a phone.

In all honesty if it were up to me I would not have a phone at all, just from all the years I had to talk on one for business.

Billy
    Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Crafty1
    We have both. Basic landline, no long distance for emergencies. Everyone else knows to just call the cell phones.
    when receiving calls, isn't it less expensive to use the landline?

we have a landline, which is our basic phone, with unlimited. we get the package with the internet and the direct tv. all together, it's not not more than the internet and tv alone. i plan to check other companies for price but i want the same package with landline. we have one cellphone that we use to tell each other when we'll be home, etc. .
    Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 PM
    Power Poster

We have both. Although we talked about getting rid of the land line. I guess old habits die hard. But, for the internet we use the cable for the desk top and wireless for the lap top. It is tons faster and more reliable than dial up ... by far!
    Old 01-12-2010, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
    We have both. Basic landline, no long distance for emergencies. Everyone else knows to just call the cell phones.

we have a landline, which is our basic phone, with unlimited. we get the package with the internet and the direct tv. all together, it's not not more than the internet and tv alone. i plan to check other companies for price but i want the same package with landline. we have one cellphone that we use to tell each other when we'll be home, etc. .
    we have Verizon on our cell phones, so anyone verizon calling us there is no cost. and we rarely use 1/2 our mins so we are ok on call from non verizon callers. The Vonage is anywhere anytime so that is good.
    Old 01-12-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by redrummy
    Originally Posted by butterflywing

we have Verizon on our cell phones, so anyone verizon calling us there is no cost. and we rarely use 1/2 our mins so we are ok on call from non verizon callers. The Vonage is anywhere anytime so that is good.
    the package that we have is verizon. i wonder if i can change our cellphone to verizon and make that program part of the package as well at a lower rate.
    Old 01-12-2010, 09:43 PM

We have both. Living on a pebble, sometimes the cell phones don't work but seems that the house phone ALWAYS works.
    I also have free long distance on the house phone, so that is what I use to call family/friends. My cell company charges me 10 cents a min to call long distance.
    Also, all banking/credit institutions have the house phone number and the ONLY people who have my cell number are ones that I give it to.
    Old 01-12-2010, 11:46 PM

That is another thing, the land line does need to be a hard line and not cordless.
    Originally Posted by marsye
    We have both because of internet service.......so I have a landline hooked up too. When we loose power due to the weather the landline still works as long as its not cordless.