Cell Phone Recommends?

Old 03-27-2010, 01:55 PM

I don't have a cell phone because I've never found a plan that really fits my needs - for an affordable rate. I am NOT going to pay $100+/month just for phone service! Not even $60/month.

Here's what I must have:

-- NOT Verizon
-- NO contracts (well, possibly a contract)
-- coverage pretty much across the country
-- lots of weekday (business) hours, preferably unlimited
-- minutes don't expire
-- Internet access is a plus, but not a requirement

Beyond that, I don't need texting, cameras or other fancy things, though I'm fine with paying for a good phone.

Does anyone know of a plan that has these features and doesn't cost the Earth? (I know there are pay-as-you-go plans, but doesn't the time expire? And aren't they prohibitively expensive?)
Old 03-27-2010, 02:05 PM

T Mobile tends to be one of the cheaper providers out here. We have Sprint and are happy withthe coverage. I would suggest that you look at the major carriers websites. It should give you a starting point for prices and such. We have 3 phones with unlimited cell to cell, unlimited data and texting and 1100 minutes, which we never use all of,for $144.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:06 PM

i have a tracfone, no contract, but you have to buy minutes, nothing fancy on mine, you can buy by the year, some of the phones are specially marked right now with double minutes for life of the phone. I don't make a lot of calls, so my phone costs me about $80.00 a year.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:14 PM

Walmart now sells a SmartTalk phone. Cost of the phone is $30-$100, depending on how many features you want. 900 minutes a month is $30, unlimited with internet access is $45.

I have the cheapest ATT program now, no internet, and it is $72 a month. I'm going to SmartTalk next month. Supposed to have great coverage...

My dh has TracPhone, $30 every 90 days, then buy minutes. Approx 10 cents a minute. His isn't used every day so we buy 60 minutes for about 2 months.

My dd has Virgin wireless, another prepay. His averages $15 a month, again, he doesn't talk much at all.

The Smart Talk or maybe that's Straight Talk at Walmart looks like the best deal, my bff has it and swears it's fantastic. You just buy the preloaded card every month to activate.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I have A T and T but am not fond of it. not able to use it in buildings in Denver. i must go outside. mountains. they have been in business a long time and the mountains have been there longer.... other people with other companies have no problem.
but i only pay $46.00 a month. no texting, no media mail, etc. my request! just a phone.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

The best phone plan with no contract and good service is Jitterbug through AARP. My Aunt has that and it is easy and no surprises in her bill ever. DH and I use IPhones now. I resisted for a long time thinking I didn't need anything but one that calls. How wrong I was. I use it for everything. Computer, email, pictures, books, music, exercise program, recipes, movies, news, tv, and oh yeah to make calls. One little hand held item and I have access to almost everything in the world in the palm of my hand. Kids these days will never know not having instant access to everything. Imagine that!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Banned

If you don't plan on using it alot you might consider Jitterbug.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:18 PM

Thanks, I will check out TracPhone and Wal-mart's SmartPhone.

The problem is that my usage varies. Sometimes I can be on the phone many hours a day. Other times, I may not use it for weeks. So I need a plan with lots of minutes, and if I don't use them, I don't lose them.

Also, I only need ONE phone, so family or group discounts don't help me at all.

Jitterbug isn't cheap, if you actually want to use the phone.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:37 PM

Tracfone's website is so full of sales hype, I can't find the actual information. :|

The $45/month Wal-mart StraightTalk plan sounds reasonable, since you get unlimited phone and Internet. But when I'm not using it, it would be a waste of money.

And it turns out to be run by... Tracfone!

Worst of all, it sounds like customer support is third-world and very poor. I'm keeping it in mind, but other suggestions are welcome.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:44 PM

I don't know about alot of the phones. We have verizon and have them for almost 7 or 8 years now. Ours of course is a contract phone. I don't have texting. We have been pleased with it. Although we have alot of family that has verizon and they way if we talk mobile to mobile it does't cost anything either. Sometimes I feel like I would like to change but that is only when I see a cooler phone that verizon doesn't have.